CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, El Hijo del Mikey Jr said:

I think he's a terrible human being and he doesn't sustain my long-term interest.

That's not narrowing it down in AEW though, is it. The second part is more relevant if you're an AEW fan.

3 hours ago, El Hijo del Mikey Jr said:

However, if you're a content factory like WWE are and AEW aspires to be, everything is based on engagement.  On TV, engagement is still measured by ratings.  When they sell ads and when they sell a show to a network, it's still focused on what rating they'll get in the demo.  That's the measure and it's only changed because they're getting contracts for five years based on the ratings they did two years before.

I agree with a ton of your post, and there's some really interesting analysis here.

However.. the demise of WWE TV due to falling ratings has been long foretold, since I've been reading about it on the internet.  And yet every time they sign a contract it's for more money.

What you need to take into account is the changing market.  Live network audiences have been falling since the invention of TiVo across all television.  There's one thing that has remained near the top of the pile in terms of relative ratings, and that's live sports - and wrestling has followed that trend.  Yes its ratings decline, but slower than everyone else.

As I understand it, wrestling tv content remains attractive to networks because it's relatively cheap and provides ratings constantly week in and week out, 52 weeks a year.  There's very little content like it elsewhere.

Now - if ad revenue isn't matching licensing, and that is the only part of the financial deal between say Peacock and WWE, then yeah I can see their contract being smaller next time.  But given WWE's recent huge valuation via its sale, I think we're not seeing all the factors that network execs are seeing.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, GlennCullen said:

Glad we've all agreed that Danhausen is the biggest star in AEW.

Genuinely one of the biggest draws for me getting a Wembley ticket. Danhausen and Orange Cassidy. Sue driving them down the ramp in a taxi cab or a double-decker bus.

6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Genuinely one of the biggest draws for me getting a Wembley ticket. Danhausen and Orange Cassidy. Sue driving them down the ramp in a taxi cab or a double-decker bus.

Hoping for Danhausen pictured in a Fulham shirt cursing Chelsea to be honest. Although someone may have already beaten him to it. 

Im guessing that pair would be perfect for TV appearance promoting the show on early morning TV, like when Scott Hall was leathered on that Saturday morning show smacking the presenters arse and beating up Mr Blobby. 

2 hours ago, Loki said:

I agree with a ton of your post, and there's some really interesting analysis here.

However.. the demise of WWE TV due to falling ratings has been long foretold, since I've been reading about it on the internet.  And yet every time they sign a contract it's for more money.

What you need to take into account is the changing market.  Live network audiences have been falling since the invention of TiVo across all television.  There's one thing that has remained near the top of the pile in terms of relative ratings, and that's live sports - and wrestling has followed that trend.  Yes its ratings decline, but slower than everyone else.

As I understand it, wrestling tv content remains attractive to networks because it's relatively cheap and provides ratings constantly week in and week out, 52 weeks a year.  There's very little content like it elsewhere.

Now - if ad revenue isn't matching licensing, and that is the only part of the financial deal between say Peacock and WWE, then yeah I can see their contract being smaller next time.  But given WWE's recent huge valuation via its sale, I think we're not seeing all the factors that network execs are seeing.

Wrestling as "live sports" is an absolute con.   It's a premise that is not borne out in reality but that hasn't stopped them from saying it.  WWE has fallen far faster than the percentage of those people cutting the cord.  WWE is only cheap TV because they're giving TV shows movie-level budgets now.  It's not WWE vs. dramas or the NBA, it's WWE vs. reality shows, be they reality soaps or reality gameshows.  Raw has regularly taken beatings in the ratings from the Love & Hip Hop franchise.  Nobody is going to convince me that Cardi B isn't a bigger star than Roman Reigns.

If wrestling was attractive to networks, MLW and Impact would have decent TV deals but they don't.  It doesn't drive ad revenue like a reality show of a similar viewership.  Now, I understand, these networks lose money on the NFL but they can sell that as a loss leader because it brings eyeballs to the network and they can use that to get people to watch other shows.  I assume this is why Tony has been holding WBD as tightly as he possibly can because there aren't TV deals out there.

What may help WWE is the writer's strike.  The last writers strike gave rise to Donald Trump so hopefully they find some sort of resolution.

I might be wrong, I probably am wrong.  However, if WWE double their TV rights, it makes no sense based on how poorly they've performed.

• Paid Members

“This isn’t CM Punk talking to Kenny Omega, this is Phil Brooks talking to Tyson Smith.”

Depressing how likely that is.

The idea of a brand split can get right in the bin as well. The best thing about AEW - especially recently - is the way characters and stories intersect. A match between Darby and Swerve can naturally progress into a promo between Sting and MJF.

The last thing this company needs is another Codyverse, where Punk only exists and interacts amongst the few who don’t think he’s a prick. Give it three months and it’ll just be Punk and Dax teasing retiring or posting shitty passive aggressive shit on Instagram.

Genuinely fascinated by what reaction Punk will get though. We’ve got the Last Dance to compare it to. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he gets booed in Chicago this time.

…And we’re off!

Not that I think it is in any way, but I’d love it if in twenty years it’s revealed he was just injured and this was all a fun way of getting him off screen and getting everyone picking sides.

If I’m Tony Khan, I’m doing a bag of beak and then I’m having them all sign NDA’s and for the rest of my life it’d just be beak and pretending this was all a work. Beak and work. Beak and work. Work and beak. Beak and work.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz