CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Punk coming back but not working with half the top of the card is just the Cody-verse redux. Only now it's not just speculation that he's doing his own thing because he won't work with the others, we'll all know it. Building a brand split just to prop up that situation doesn't feel like a tenable situation at all.

• Paid Members

It's entirely possible that there's an element of working in all this, and they're just not jumping into the program when they have ongoing stories to work around at the moment. After all, if they can sell a decent amount of tickets at Wembley without Omega vs Punk, then why rush it?

However, if that is the case, they're gambling a bit - Punk has spent a lot of time on the shelf, and you might not want to hold off on his big feuds before the rest of his limbs just drop off like a clown car.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

After all, if they can sell a decent amount of tickets at Wembley without Omega vs Punk, then why rush it?

That's always a gamble - if you've got Punk and Omega, can you sell the tickets with them in separate matches before you have to resort to putting them together? If they're enough of a draw individually, then they're right to keep them apart in the short-term.

But as we've seen with Cody, and with Punk in his initial run, AEW are pretty averse to putting on the biggest possible matches and that can work against them. Whatever happens with Punk, if there's a risk of doing all of this only to still never get to Punk vs. Omega, it's going to feel like a waste, surely?

I wonder how much of it is generational. There's only 5 years between Punk and Omega, but the indie wrestling scenes they really cut their teeth in are almost nothing alike in terms of attitude and politics, and that's only going to be more stark for younger wrestlers like Hangman. As much as I doubt Punk wants to be seen as one of the old guard, I expect he has very different ideas of how things "should" be done than wrestlers who came up after him. I recently worked with a British wrestler who's only a couple of years older than me, but started out more than ten years before me and in a very different scene, and our experiences couldn't have been more dissimilar. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Chris B said:

After all, if they can sell a decent amount of tickets at Wembley without Omega vs Punk, then why rush it?

I feel pretty strongly that you absolutely always should headline your biggest show with the biggest available match possible no matter what. 

When you account for PPV buys, ticket sales, reputation, presentation, fan experience...there's no good reason not to that I can think of. It'd be like intentionally holding off on Rock/Austin at Wrestlemania 17 then putting it on Fully Loaded to boost the buyrate. Insanity.

Edited by LaGoosh

18 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I feel pretty strongly that you absolutely always should headline your biggest show with the biggest available match possible no matter what.

Agreed. 

Sniff better fucking book Jarrett Vs. Orange Cassidy Part 2, with Jarrett getting the big babyface win. 

You gotta give the people what they want. 

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

When you account for PPV buys, ticket sales, reputation, presentation, fan experience...there's no good reason not to that I can think of. It'd be like intentionally holding off on Rock/Austin at Wrestlemania 17 then putting it on Fully Loaded to boost the buyrate. Insanity.

And the previous year, they'd held off Rock beating HHH until the following PPV to boost that buyrate.

I'm not saying it'd be a bad idea to have Punk vs Omega at Wembley - hell, I'll be buying tickets and it'd be a hell of a match to see. But it seems like the Wembley show is already perceived as a big deal and has a lot of interest already. You could end up with a show that's already pretty loaded and doesn't need Punk/Omega. Whereas they might be able to get a second big-deal show in the US built around that feud.

With All Out 2021, they had CM Punk's first match along with Danielson and Adam Cole debuting. It was the biggest show they had - so they didn't need Omega/Hangman there, even though it was the biggest match they had at that point. 

It also all depends on timing. They've clearly got a storyline in mind with The Elite that's likely to see us over the next couple of months. Should they put that all on the backburner, just to rush a match that they can do any time?

As I said, for me, the biggest pressing reason to do the match as soon as you can is whether you think Punk is back for another year or two or if he's back for six weeks then back on the injured list or just refusing to work with anyone.

• Paid Members

If this roster split actually happens it's the most pathetic thing I can think of in wrestling history. Just an incredibly damaging thing for the companies image.

A whole different show just because of a few twats. Imagine if every company worked like this. "Brenda from HR and Steve in payroll don't get on so we're splitting the office in half"

21 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Wrestling is full of mental cunts though. This wouldn't happen in "The real world".

Lets face it, if Punk was in the office, and he slapped Omega, he'd be fired. Not being catered to.

The mob who burst into the office and kicked off probably would be fired too.