CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, El Hijo del Mikey Jr said:

I think he's a terrible human being and he doesn't sustain my long-term interest.  I like AEW and, despite being their patron saint, I don't think he fits into the show.

I’m no CM Punk fan, but I’ll pull you up here. He’s clearly not a terrible human being. In an industry full of sex pests, murderers and rapists you have plenty of candidates for terrible humans.

Problematic? Sure. But I think from the things he was doing backstage (leaving Starbucks gift cards for the low and mid card talents, offering advice etc) to buying Danhausen his dream comic book after getting injured again recently shows he’s got a good heart. He also screwed over his best mate and also caused a backstage brawl and suspensions because he’s thin skinned. 

I also don’t believe he’s their patron saint. He was as important as Danielson and Adam Cole when they were brought in. It did add some prestige getting him there, but I don’t feel he was given any better treatment then any of those other names. How he doesn’t fit into a wrestling show though I’m struggling with. Other then because you don’t like him, how doesn’t he fit in?

7 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

…And we’re off!

Not that I think it is in any way, but I’d love it if in twenty years it’s revealed he was just injured and this was all a fun way of getting him off screen and getting everyone picking sides.

If I’m Tony Khan, I’m doing a bag of beak and then I’m having them all sign NDA’s and for the rest of my life it’d just be beak and pretending this was all a work. Beak and work. Beak and work. Work and beak. Beak and work.

Did pat write that headline?  I really wish people learned how to use gaslighting correctly. It’s literally the new literally. 

That article is absolutely shit.

He has so many people on strings it's amazing. 

I reckon Khan would be an idiot not to bring him back, and Omega and the Bucks would be idiots not to work with him.

This is what everyone wants to see right? Done right, that series could be massive.

There is no bigger match in wrestling than Punk vs Omega. 

Yeah I don't want to see "Phil" talking to "Tyson" (still can't get over that) bollocks, but I do want to see people who genuinely hate each other (or don't) fight.

Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham won a treble together. 

Get it together you nerds. 

30 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’m no CM Punk fan, but I’ll pull you up here. He’s clearly not a terrible human being. In an industry full of sex pests, murderers and rapists you have plenty of candidates for terrible humans.

Problematic? Sure. But I think from the things he was doing backstage (leaving Starbucks gift cards for the low and mid card talents, offering advice etc) to buying Danhausen his dream comic book after getting injured again recently shows he’s got a good heart. He also screwed over his best mate and also caused a backstage brawl and suspensions because he’s thin skinned. 

I also don’t believe he’s their patron saint. He was as important as Danielson and Adam Cole when they were brought in. It did add some prestige getting him there, but I don’t feel he was given any better treatment then any of those other names. How he doesn’t fit into a wrestling show though I’m struggling with. Other then because you don’t like him, how doesn’t he fit in?

As I've noted here before, I believe he's a covert narcissist.  Have you ever heard him talk about people who he feels has wronged him?  He has a complete lack of empathy that is frankly scary.  You know what this type of narcissists do?  They do nice things to carry favour with other people because they want people to know them as a nice guy.  Given what I see him as, I think he's a terrible person.  Arch manipulator.

I honestly didn't think anybody would disagree with the idea that the guy who walked out of WWE, whose name was chanted very clearly at WWE events until AEW came into being was AEW's patron saint.  It's just obvious.  He's the poster child for everything anti-WWE.

AEW is a weird promotion.  It was supposed to be the best of the indies, except nobody could agree on what that was.  Then they brought in WWE guys who were being misused and they got the best run of Brodie Lee's career.  So it was best of the indies, some guys you like from Japan, the guys who never got their due or to express themselves in WWE.   It got away from that and we now feel like we're somewhat back to it.  What's missing?  CM Punk.  Somehow the ultimate guy who didn't express himself just ruined the whole overall aesthetic IMO.  He made AEW not feel like AEW.

However, it increasingly drifted away from the best of the indies towards something else.  

• Paid Members

When was it promoted as best of the indies? I don't remember that at all. I remember it being a new big promotion with Kenny Omega being one of the big stars, along with Jericho, Rhodes and Moxley. None of them were really "indie", maybe Omega but he was more a huge star from Japan.

Edited by gmoney

7 minutes ago, gmoney said:

When was it promoted as best of the indies? I don't remember that at all. I remember it being a new big promotion with Kenny Omega being one of the big stars, along with Jericho, Rhodes and Moxley. None of them were really "indie", maybe Omega but he was more a huge star from Japan.

Did you watch All In or did you sleep through 2018?

• Paid Members

That the show with Cody Rhodes, Omega, Okada, Ibushi and Rey Mysterio on it? And even so, by the time it got to regular shows and TV, it was never about the indies then.

EDIT: And indie superworker Stephen Amell. I remember when all the blogs were raving about him working in the Portland scene.

Edited by gmoney

2 minutes ago, El Hijo del Mikey Jr said:

Did you watch All In or did you sleep through 2018?

All In was an ROH talent heavy show with top new Japan talent and Rey Mysterio. AEW was promoted as being more “real sports like” than wwe, it was never labelled as being some kinda super televised indie 

NXT signed indie workers and then largely stripped them of indie gimmicks.  Strangely, they didn't make Kevin Steen dress nicely though.

AEW signed GCW and Progress' "mascots", neither of whom ever looked like a major league wrestler.  Cody and the Young Bucks called All In "the best of the indies" when promoting it and while AEW was not a perfect facsimile of All In, it was certainly following its footsteps.

After All Out 2022, I was left feeling empty because I didn't get AEW anymore.  It had changed and changed for the worse.  Then they have several weeks of TV where it felt like they were trying to get back to what made AEW interesting before and they succeeded.

I know some people love CM Punk and think he's wonderful.  His work is fine but his presence changed the promotion.  I think he changed it for the worse.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, El Hijo del Mikey Jr said:

NXT signed indie workers and then largely stripped them of indie gimmicks.

But not their habits. It felt very ROH/PWG. And I enjoy those promotions and match types. In their own unique bubble. Not in NXT constantly. 

22 minutes ago, El Hijo del Mikey Jr said:

I think he changed it for the worse.

Yeah I can think of something similar happening in some of the threads on here lately. Strange that. 

I love how Butch coined “The Bob Holly Rule” when people had their mouth right up Punks sweaty ringpiece and excused everything he did. Now it’s come full circle, maybe it needs to be “The CM Punk Rule” for whenever a popular wrestler does anything. 

(The Bob Holly Rule was essentially if Bob Holly did what you think was ok when your favourite did it, would you still be ok with it if your most hated did it)

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

(The Bob Holly Rule was essentially if Bob Holly did what you think was ok when your favourite did it, would you still be ok with it if your most hated did it)

But Bob Holly was great. Always thought he was a bit of a forum favourite here.