Shops you hate

Gus Mears

I dislike Lidl, it just comes across as knock off version of Aldi. My one has replaced all but 2 tills with self checkouts which means a quick pop in for a donut and a sambo at lunch turns into a 25 minute nightmare no matter if you go for the normal checkout or the self scan. Always some loud video taking cunt being held by security for not paying for their shop properly too. If you're going to dodge the self scans at least do it in M&S or somewhere fancier!

Definitely TK Maxx for me.  As others have already alluded to, just a confusing mess of a store where there seems to be zero consistency on where/how/why things are laid out, only one or two of each item (usually in XXXS or XXXL), and with prices that never seem to reflect the outlet nature of the store.  I dread any time the other half says we just need to "quickly pop in to TK Maxx" because you need at least 30 minutes to have any chance of finding what you're looking for. 

Superdrug. I didn’t mind it until a few years ago until I had a severe diabetic low blood sugar episode there and almost passed out, and then spewed all over the floor after downing two bottles of coke within a minute. One of the staff members had her arm around me while I spewed and then wiped my mouth for me, which is obviously very caring, but I was 27 at the time and it made me super uncomfortable.

Also, Peacocks. I don’t understand what vibe they’re going for in there. They’re also the TNA of shops in that they’ll survive anything. The one in Caerphilly is basically down a back alley and I swear it’ll outlive me. I don’t trust it.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, DCW said:

a sambo at lunch

Not sure I can get on with this. Sounds a bit colonial. 

Superdry stores. I really like their clothes as I am the most basic of bitches, but trying to browse there is agony. It's dark - surely the worst thing for clothes? - and everything is piled up folded so can't actually be seen. Then you take one down, dismiss it then feel awful you can't Marie Kondo it back in place. Sizing is random from garment to garment, where I can fit in anything from L to 2XL. And it's so cramped in there! 

Inevitably I find what I want but not in the size, but it is then impossible to reconcile anything between store and site. Names and colours are completely different. Just a random, frustrating experience. 

• Awards Moderator

@SuperBaconis right with the all shops shout. They’re just crap and awful and I hate all of them.

But I had the misfortune of having to go into River Island a while back. Epileptics would be fucked in there. I was trying to buy a belt but felt like I’d accidentally stumbled into a school disco. Blaring shit music, migraine-inducing lighting and kids in skinny jeans trying to flog me skinny jeans. I’m after a giant belt because I’m fat, dickhead. Read the room.

Old man, cloud etc.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Home Bargains - full of mutants

I was once being followed around home bargains by unsavoury looking bloke and couldn't shake him so approached one of the staff stacking the shelves and asked if they could help as an unpleasant looking gentleman who I pointed out was following me around the shop and staring at me intently from down the aisle while I shopped. 

She look uncomfortable and he approached to sternly say he was a store manager or something similar, can't recall what exactly but he wasn't rocking one of those horrible fleeces they ware in there. When asked why he was following me around, which was clearly because he thought I was shoplifting, he said he was stacking the shelves and it was just coincidence, which gave the young lady a bit of a snigger when I pointed out at no point in the previous 10 minutes of me walking around the shop to see if I could loose him had he actually had anything in his hands, so he couldn't be very good at it. 

I think I then just stood there until he left me alone and thanked the young woman.

Also working for a few supermarkets it's always nice to be a dick and point out the people who sit in meetings enthusiastically talking up how wonderful it all is and how amazing all the products are when they bring in a load of stuff 9 times in 10 from M&S or waitrose for a birthday or Christmas. 

Edited by Tommy!

3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Its definitely Primark for me.

Always too crowded.

No one puts anything back where it should be so trying to find a particular product or size is a fucking nightmare.

The sizing is all over the place but that's just a complaint about clothing in general really.

Second place goes to anywhere that has staff that actively asks me if I need help with anything. IF I NEEDED HELP I WOULD ASK. FUCK OFF.

And they're never around when I do want help. Arseholes.

Welcome to my every day, on quiet days it’s not so bad but once it hits Thursday and Friday I won’t be able to tidy one of my denim tables without pulling out rolled up tops, underwear, soft toys, shoes, make up or worse drink cups. That’s if the table itself hasn’t been pulled apart, despite all the product being in size order

Keeping on topic, I’ve really grown to dislike CEX over the last couple of years, their trade in valuations are getting worse, their insistence on reprinting covers for movies and games but still charging the same price as the legit ones is criminal and their mark ups on boutique titles are insane, especially when HMV are selling brand new copies for cheaper, case in point they had a copy of the Indicator release of Brian De Palma’s Body Double marked up at £38 at one point, I bought it for £5 brand new off the Indicator website during their sale last month while Amazon and HMV had it around the £15-18 mark

Primark gets the win for me. Not that I particularly hate the shop with all its shit licensed merch and a lack of larger sizes.the simple fact my wife loves it and when we visit the uk she stocks up on about 30kg of clothes in one shop. This requires about 3 hours of her time visiting all departments to ensure she gets something for everyone she seemingly knows in Vietnam. Probably clothing the whole 94 million of them. 

The one in Bournemouth has a Costa coffee but even popping there for a bit doesn't use up enough time. All the while if I sit there in bombarded by musty clothes and Sally yelling across the store at Cathy about something because she can't be bothered to walk. 

Absolute torture I'm hoping to find away round in our December visit. 

4 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I would also select IKEA here but that gets a pass because you can get a hot dog at the end.

Well it definitely isn’t getting a pass from me. IKEA is less a shop and more a relationship torture chamber, filled with meandering displays that bear little resemblance to what you actually need or want to go in for. The first four times myself and my now wife went together, we ended up having some sort of argument. It’s like a backwards Argos where 45mins of your time is spent wading through a living catalogue. Thankfully I’ve since convinced her that the most efficient way of doing things is to identify the products beforehand then sneak in through the exit and head straight to the warehouse, but I stand by my statement. Hellhole of a place. Especially the one near Leeds, because it’s near Leeds. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Not sure I can get on with this. Sounds a bit colonial. 

Superdry stores. I really like their clothes as I am the most basic of bitches, but trying to browse there is agony. It's dark - surely the worst thing for clothes? - and everything is piled up folded so can't actually be seen. Then you take one down, dismiss it then feel awful you can't Marie Kondo it back in place. Sizing is random from garment to garment, where I can fit in anything from L to 2XL. And it's so cramped in there! 

Inevitably I find what I want but not in the size, but it is then impossible to reconcile anything between store and site. Names and colours are completely different. Just a random, frustrating experience. 

Add to this in a similar fashion (pun not intended), Hollister. I like their clothes, but unless your idea of shopping is in a dimly lit nightclub with loud shit music blaring the entire time, avoid and order online. 

• Paid Members

Ikea as a shop, I can handle. I can drive there (7.9 miles), get what I need, and get home within an hour. My attic has quite the array of Kallax units. 

However, it's when Ikea gets treated as a day out that I lose my fucking mind. I don't mind the food there, but the idea of spending an entire Sunday afternoon shuffling around mock-ups of rooms that will likely never resemble any home I live in, on the promise of meatballs and mashed potato, makes me wonder what went so drastically wrong with my life.

I can handle the premise of CEX (and once upon a time it was a good source of Tagged Classics), but the staff just make me wonder how the company hasn't imploded, as they seem to thrive on hiring people for their typical "alternative" look instead ability or work ethic. Nottingham Victoria is terrible, as they'll just stand there letting the queues build up while they stand around slagging off the other staff members and pissing about.

My daughter's a supervisor at CEX, and the lack of support from management in instilling any sense of discipline in the staff is driving her insane. They hire a lot of students who just don't give a fuck as they're only there as a stop-gap job.