Shops you hate

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Every year my local newspaper prints the same article about shops that you miss. It's full Peter Kay, 'Remember Woolworths! What were that 'bout? Used to get carboard tub full a sweets for five pence? Remember sweets?' Got me thinking to what shops you actively hate going to instead and why.

I'll start with the Currys. A fucking miserable experience every time. They never have what I want in stock and exclusively employ gormless twats whose only skill is selling unecessary warranty to confused pensioners.

• Paid Members

You ought to have a basic grasp of Latin if you're working in Currys.

B & Q - a joyless experience and nobody wants to trudge around looking at paint or power tools. Similarly, any garden centre. I am basing my answer 100% off what I remember from being brought along to shops as a child by the way. I would also select IKEA here but that gets a pass because you can get a hot dog at the end. 

All of them?

But my most hated:

Primark (absolutely nothing wrong with the actual products) as it's far too chaotic. The Kingston one is genuinely like its own world with its own laws. 

WH Smiths. A money laundering exercise if ever I saw one.

Boots. Too bright. Sort your lights out.

Also, any shop where the staff don't differentiate themselves from the general public clearly.

I was in a Deichmanns (discount shoe shop) recently and there was just some lad in baggy jeans and a hoodie, and I eventually after about 10 minutes twigged that he worked there. No uniform, no name tag. 

Then when I asked him if he worked there, replied as if I was the thickest shit in the world.

Well fuck you, I'll get my cheap Fila trainers elsewhere thanks.

Literally any coffee shop with more than one person in it as well. When I want to coffee, the shop should be closed for a 10 minute period around my visit.

Robert Dyas as well. Too much going on.

Again, all of them?

Its definitely Primark for me.

Always too crowded.

No one puts anything back where it should be so trying to find a particular product or size is a fucking nightmare.

The sizing is all over the place but that's just a complaint about clothing in general really.

Second place goes to anywhere that has staff that actively asks me if I need help with anything. IF I NEEDED HELP I WOULD ASK. FUCK OFF.

And they're never around when I do want help. Arseholes.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Primark (absolutely nothing wrong with the actual products) as it's far too chaotic. The Kingston one is genuinely like its own world with its own laws.

Agree with the Kingston one. The Reading one is very similar. My girlfriend also insisted on going to one in Barcelona and that was 5 floors of not fun. I like some of the clothing, I just never want to go in there or join those queues. You’re correct on WH Smith’s too. 

I find TK Maxx to be too chaotic and overwhelming. I think it’s something about the layout in certain stores of theirs. 

There’s a small Iceland near us that’s pretty unpleasant. Went there quite a bit during lockdown 1 due to proximity but I can’t bring myself to go in there anymore. It’s not even the staff (though they are some of the least motivated people I’ve ever seen in a retail environment), there’s just a palpable feeling of despair in there.