Shops you hate

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

yeah, I've been banging the "death of the high street" drum for a few years now.

It pops up in the news every few years as something apocalyptic, as if "the high street" is anything more than a corporate cash grab on a massive scale, and a relatively recent phenomenon. They'd have you believe it's the default by which all towns and cities have always been based, and it's bollocks. 

It turns out that a handful of businesses buying up as much floor space as possible and surviving on the narrowest possible margins, but that's okay so long as there's no space left for any competitors to squeeze in, isn't a sustainable business model once people actually have options about where to spend their money.

Record shops were always the best example of all this - conventional wisdom was that small record shops would be decimated by the rise of online shopping, but many of them have had a resurgence and outperform other independent retailers. The truth is, shops like HMV and Virgin Megastore did more to put record shops out of business than the internet ever did, because when they came along they could offer choice and a far greater range than your little dinky independent could dream of. But once the internet comes along and you can buy any album you want at the push of a button, "choice" suddenly isn't a selling point for a shop any more. But, for those independents that did survive the advent of the megastore, they (the good ones, at least) could offer expertise and a curated selection, and that's very appealing. That sense of a personal touch, and of actually knowing something about what you sell, rather than just having so much of it that you've probably got most of your bases covered, is what shops should be working toward now to compete with online retailers, but it seems like most places are pushing toward more and more generic approaches and offering all sorts of tat instead.

Though I imagine that the problem with the high street, as with so many things, comes down to landlords more than anything.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The one near me has self-service checkouts, so it might be something they're gradually introducing.

They are, same as lidl. In both cases I think it's added as part of general "face-lift" refits when they are due unless it's crying out for them to be added based on ave basket size or a new build. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Though I imagine that the problem with the high street, as with so many things, comes down to landlords more than anything.

And council rates. A few of us set up an independent co-op bookshop in the area, and we wanted to go onto the high street if possible. The rent was achievable, but the council rates were twice the cost of going literally round the corner.

It helped explain why the high street was only brands, betting shops, cafes and charity shops (the last two categories get a discount). And it's a complete mis-management, because the shops on the side streets are significantly more interesting and would probably bring people in - but so many don't even know they're there.

• Paid Members

The high streets near me are usually horrible places as well. Even the ones with open shops. Wiltshire Council make it sound like Jeff Bezos is personally responsible for ruining the centre of Trowbridge instead of their inept decisions over 30+ years and astronomical business rates.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Myself and @Chili were discussing the stranglehold of Big Chazza over the better independent chazzas. You get some belting finds in them. 

Yeah, chain chazzas generally seem to sell the same shit, particularly books. I think I've heard they farm stuff out from a central hub rather than take whatever the shop gets. That might be bollocks. You definitely don't get the same "an old goth must have died" type vibe when you see a black trench coat and Bauhaus records. 

4 minutes ago, RalphyV2 said:

Fully agree, the smaller shops are so much better, i tend to find the bigger the shop, the more expensive (at least by Chazza standards) the goods are 

We have a scope shop here, everything is £1, love it 

Post any finds in this thread please!  

Edit @gmoneyYeah the big shops absolutely rotate stock between branches, it’s why they have dates on the tags so they know how long it’s been on the shop floor for. If it doesn’t sell they try it in another before eventually selling it as rags. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

Oxfam being the king of chazza shitehawks, I get that it's making money for charity but the shops were also a way for poorer people to afford things yet Oxy are out here charging more than eBay resellers for things.

I remember them wanting ÂŁ100 for a not so rare copy of Loveless.

Edited by Merzbow

1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

Oxfam being the king of chazza shitehawks, I get that it's making money for charity but the shops were also a way for poorer people to afford things yet Oxy are out here charging more than eBay resellers for things.

I remember them wanting ÂŁ100 for a not so rare copy of Loveless.

I’m sure I mentioned it in that thread I linked, but that Queen of Shops woman is mostly responsible for that. They all want to be “Boutique” now. The chain shop my girlfriend worked in took the most money every month, but the higher ups (who were all related by blood or marriage, or close friends) of the area essentially made the managers life hell until she quit because she wouldn’t boutique the shop. It’s now set up like that and it’s shite. 

I love a charity shop, particularly for buying records. I don't mind sometimes overpaying slightly compared to what I could get an album on ebay for, especially in the smaller charity's shops, but British Heart Foundation seems to be the worst around here for "Ah fuck it, stick it on at a tenner" for the most random shite. And it's always water damaged and scratched, like they found it down a well. They had some Asia albums on at ÂŁ20 each the other day. Fucking Asia.

• Paid Members

I have no issues with the concept of charity shops, the issue is one 200m stretch of street doesn’t need 5 of them. 

Not that it’s their fault either but charity shops lost half their appeal when people started selling online as well, same as car boot sales. Those lucky finds and bargains you’d often find that made the trip worthwhile are rarer and rarer now everything has an Ebay price or other sellers swoop in and bulk buy them to mark up themselves.