Shops you hate

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Even just cutting through TK Maxx in the Arndale to get back on to Market Street sends my stress levels through the ceiling. So claustrophobic, absolutely mountains of stuff, all completely disorganised. I slightly admire the simplicity of just having massive sections for Tops and Trousers and Jackets and no other sub-categories but shopping there for something seems impossible unless you have actual hours to spare and have downed a bottle of Kalms beforehand.

I'd love to be able to shop in TK Maxx as I know some people who have got lovely stuff from there at bargain prices but it just seems like a jumble sale to me. I think I just get sensory overload and I literally can't find a single thing worth buying in there

Edited by deathrey

I'll give TK Maxx credit for its eclectic non-clothing section, the last beacon of hope when you're desperately out of inspiration for relatives' Christmas presents. Five minutes in there and you're walking out with a musical wicker photo frame lined with key hooks, perfect for the in-laws.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Went into an independent record store as well

Off Topic but I was in crewe the other week and there was a bar in the market (Crewe Dog) with a record stall next door run by the same people which was a lovely surprise as I'd only stopped in for the beers on my pub loop but ended up with a couple of records. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I didn't really hate it (but couldn't think of anywhere else to put this) but went into a HMV yesterday for the first time in probably 10 years, and its basically Hot Topic isn't it?

It's been that way for a long time. My ex worked in Jersey's HMV, and they shut down not long before things started moving that way. The profit margins are so low on most of what they "traditionally" sell, that combined with declining sales in things like CDs and DVDs anyway, they were always trying to push into other areas to make money, and the worse things get, the more and more of the shop gets taken over by that stuff, until it's effectively a Funko Pop Emporium with a few records.

On one hand it's a shame, because smalltown teenage life pretty much revolved around bouncing between HMV and the skate shop, so there's a lot of nostalgia attached to it, but on the other hand, fuck 'em. There's a poetic justice to the likes of HMV struggling to stay relevant or to stay afloat while the kind of small record shops they ran out of business thrive.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I’m surprised Brewdog haven’t sued them for that name.

I've only done one stop but it not being fucking awful so I guess there's no risk of customer confusion they can claim.

Terribly overrated and over priced is Brewdog.

Edited by Tommy!

12 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Off Topic but I was in crewe the other week and there was a bar in the market (Crewe Dog) with a record stall next door run by the same people which was a lovely surprise as I'd only stopped in for the beers on my pub loop but ended up with a couple of records. 

Crewe Dog was opened after the success of the Salty Dog over in Northwich. A decent little bar that sells good beers and has regular live music. There’s also one in nearby Winsford called the Delamere Street Dog.

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators
44 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I hate it and I'm never going in.

IMG-20240219-WA0000.thumb.jpg.ee0f351bc4f201fab382b56d2a73c3db.jpg

I can just picture the cunts that go in that place. Some fella in a cutoff denim jacket with some clash patches sown on and a "cyclists rights now" tattoo while wearing a rancid cycling cap.