Shops you hate

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
On 2/28/2023 at 9:41 AM, BomberPat said:

It's been that way for a long time. My ex worked in Jersey's HMV, and they shut down not long before things started moving that way. The profit margins are so low on most of what they "traditionally" sell, that combined with declining sales in things like CDs and DVDs anyway, they were always trying to push into other areas to make money, and the worse things get, the more and more of the shop gets taken over by that stuff, until it's effectively a Funko Pop Emporium with a few records.

On one hand it's a shame, because smalltown teenage life pretty much revolved around bouncing between HMV and the skate shop, so there's a lot of nostalgia attached to it, but on the other hand, fuck 'em. There's a poetic justice to the likes of HMV struggling to stay relevant or to stay afloat while the kind of small record shops they ran out of business thrive.

If only that applied to film and TV as well. My ambivalence is that HMV is pretty much the only place to get first run TV & film in media without going though the Trotters Independent Traders that is Amazon 2024.

• Paid Members

I have to disagree. The only place you can get a good selection of magazines anywhere these days. Decent selection of stationary. They even do fags now. The ones in airports and train stations are absolute robdog, but I not sure what's middle class about them. 

Edited by gmoney

There is no doubt that Smiths is a massive money laundering front, but agree it has a good selection of mags these days. It even carries noncey football quarterlies like The Blizzard that I am suckered into buying before train journeys.

I wouldn't buy anything like a bottle of water or a chocolate bar in there though as I'm not mental, but mags etc? All good.

As I've seen this thread has popped up again I'll reiterate my disdain for Primark. It's been a year now since I had the displeasure again but was not surprised to see it's even worse than ever. Clothes looked absolute shite, what's with all the Gregg's stuff? Still smells, disorganised and unhelpful. Once again I was made to wait for the other half to spend 2 hours in there this time while entertaining our 1 year old who was freezing cold. Next visits in July so at least I can take him to the park or something while she wastes her holiday. 

9 hours ago, simonworden said:

As I've seen this thread has popped up again I'll reiterate my disdain for Primark. It's been a year now since I had the displeasure again but was not surprised to see it's even worse than ever. Clothes looked absolute shite, what's with all the Gregg's stuff? Still smells, disorganised and unhelpful. Once again I was made to wait for the other half to spend 2 hours in there this time while entertaining our 1 year old who was freezing cold. Next visits in July so at least I can take him to the park or something while she wastes her holiday. 

We have a licensing partnership with Greggs, started with just merchandise but it’s expanded to the point that certain bigger stores across the country, such as the one I work at, have a Greggs cafe in store

• Paid Members
On 2/19/2024 at 6:24 PM, Thunderplex said:

IKEA in Ashton.  A real life interpretation of Dantes levels of hell.

It's got such a weird layout.