• Paid Members

Is there a possibility Punk could lose in a few minutes again and go away for a while? Surely it would make sense from a storyline point of view with it only being a week or so since the last match where his foot was fucked? His ego has gotten him into a rematch that he's not ready for.

Think I'd rather see that than a 20/30 minute back and forth with Punk going over. 

35 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Is there a possibility Punk could lose in a few minutes again and go away for a while? Surely it would make sense from a storyline point of view with it only being a week or so since the last match where his foot was fucked? His ego has gotten him into a rematch that he's not ready for.

Think I'd rather see that than a 20/30 minute back and forth with Punk going over. 

Logically that makes complete sense. However I think it'd absolutely die on its arse if they dared to do that again. If they'd only done it at the PPV it could've worked. Twice though? I hope not.

5 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Based on CM Punk going into the crowd, and previously doing the snow angels waiting for Mox to turn up. I could see it starting with a brawl through the crowd before the bell rings.

This makes sense. Have him meet Mox on his way to the ring. Give the home town crowd the pop they want, give Punk the time to soak it up. But as soon as they're in the ring and the bell goes, Mox murders Punk foot-first, and taps him to a heel hook, so I get the Danielson tease I want. 

• Paid Members

Punk's winning. Don't set yourself up for disappointment thinking otherwise. A solid 90% of the reason I've had little to no problem with the Punk/Mox feud leading into this show is because I know the belt is ending up on Punk regardless, so at least I got that big moment where Mox could look amazing, get the recognition he deserved and cut some incredible promos. Business will likely resume tonight. I wonder if FTR being in such a nothing, throwaway match earlier in the show is a red herring for them helping Punk win tonight, becoming the new, modern-day Hart Foundation. Cheered in Chicago, hated everywhere else. The Chicago Hitmen vs. Blackpool Combat Club works for me!

Final lineup below but I wouldn't be shocked if Tony somehow adds another six to ten matches between now and then. Peak e-fed.

It's a bloated mess of a show where very little has any momentum going into it. Easily the coldest AEW PPV of all time, including Forbidden Door. Stuff has either been completely rushed (Mox vs. Punk, Trios Final, Tag Title) or stretched out so much that it's cooled off massively (Jungle Boy/Christian, Hobbs/Starks). I suspect a fun show though. Much like Forbidden Door, the terrible build up will allow it to exceed expectations with ease.

Hopefully this isn't a one shot for the Motor City Machine Guns. I'd love to see them mixing it up in the tag division. Ideally bring Nash in for some vignettes, too.

If they're going to continue doing tournaments leading into pay per views until the end of time I wish they'd pull it back a week or two to allow time for the final to actually get some promotion. Every time we don't actually know the match until hours before showtime, leaving no time at all to actually get invested or excited. Adam Page on the opposite side of the ring against The Elite needed some build up.

Either way though, the biggest moment on this whole show will be when Hangman Adam Page tags in. Goosebumps just thinking about it.

I've seen whispers of Kota Ibushi as the joker in the ladder match. I'll cry my eyes clean off if he shows his beautiful face.

Thoughts and prayers are with Scorpio Sky at this time. Nowhere to be seen, his career in tatters after that horrendous, never-ending program with Guervara, only discovering after the fact that if he'd just thrown a punch at Sammy backstage he could have avoided that whole feud entirely!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

If anything, the show last night has gotten me more excited for this show, as cold as the build has been. I'm sure there will be a good handful of bangers.

Hangman and Omega both involved should make for some good moments at least and hopefully the Joker is Lio Rush, just because you know he'll retire again in a month so it won't make any odds.

Off tomorrow but won't be watching live. That means I get to skip the Kick-Off and this shouldn't feel like quite the slog it has the potential to be. Slog isn't quite meant to be a bad thing. There's a lot of good on the card. Too much of a good thing really. I'd love to cut one of the Trios matches as it seems like overkill but which one? Sting, Miro, FTR, The Elite, Hangman, Silver, MCMG, Wardlow. I don't want to lose them.

It'd be the Ladder match as i'm just numb to the multi-man ladder match. BCC v. Lucha Bros. v. Andrade/RUSH v. Dante/Sydal in a tag sprint would be more interesting to me. The Joker reveal won't be enough to save it. Instead of MJF. I'm going for a Samoa Joe return since he's reported to be done filming his TV show. Samoa Joe v. Punk/Mox would make a main event that lives up to the Grand Slam name.

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

Punk's winning

I know you’re probably right but it’ll be such a shame as surely nobody can deny Moxley is on the run of his life.

The only scenario I’d enjoy is if they go full sports entertainment.  Have a proper 100% Punk heel turn where he becomes everything his fans hate.  Have Tony Khan come down and hand him a steel chair to wallop Moxley for the win and then have Punk be a fully smug corporate champion, talking about buyrates and spots on the card, the two of them sitting together at press conferences looking like arseholes whilst Moxley rages through the crowd at tv looking to force a rematch and the BCC beat up all of Khan’s chosen stars.

After years of slightly po-faced “who’s the best wrestler who’s good at wrestling” AEW it’d be nice to have a bit of big drama.