• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Loki said:

I know you’re probably right but it’ll be such a shame as surely nobody can deny Moxley is on the run of his life.

The only scenario I’d enjoy is if they go full sports entertainment.  Have a proper 100% Punk heel turn where he becomes everything his fans hate.  Have Tony Khan come down and hand him a steel chair to wallop Moxley for the win and then have Punk be a fully smug corporate champion, talking about buyrates and spots on the card, the two of them sitting together at press conferences looking like arseholes whilst Moxley rages through the crowd at tv looking to force a rematch and the BCC beat up all of Khan’s chosen stars.

After years of slightly po-faced “who’s the best wrestler who’s good at wrestling” AEW it’d be nice to have a bit of big drama.

Replace Tony Khan in that plan with MJF and I think you might be onto something.

Well ok, maybe that's a bad plan, but I think it speaks to AEW not having a top heel ATM and really needing one. 

Decided to stay up for this but fuck me is that looking like a long show. They could bump three or four of these matches to Dynamite.

I think it's pretty obvious that Punk is going over so, as much as I love Mox, I don't think his idea to add a wrinkle to the story by having that Dynamite unification made ultimately added anything to this story that is worth caring about.

Also: Hangman turns heel.

• Paid Members

Said it before, but the only Intrigue coming out of the show for the women's title, would be with Hayter. If Britt gets it, we know it'll just be promo after promo, if Shida gets it, she will disappear to Dark no doubt and if Storm gets it, it'll go the same way as Thunder Rosa's reign. At least with Hayter there's a ready made storyline with Britt's muscle getting the title over her. 

Sure, it may be a little MJF / Wardlow, but that's not a bad thing.

If Hayter doesn't win, I hope she can sing Sweet Caroline 

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

I think I might have to eat my words. I was absolutely convinced MJF's shitty shoot promo was impossible to follow up on but I think they just about pulled it off! The stuff with the joker in the opener was awkward as fuck but by the time the reveal came at the end everything fell into place and felt electric. I'm aware I'm biased - MJF vs. CM Punk from earlier this year is quite possibly my favourite feud of all time, so returning to that is always going to give me a hard on, but even putting that aside. I think they've done the unthinkable and nailed this. MJF winning the world Title in Arthur Ashe? Holding it for a year and threatening to take it to WWE? Holy shit. I'm so in. MJF is the greatest worker going today. Fucker has wrestled about three matches all year and is now the biggest star in the sport. I just hope and pray he steers everything back into just being a horrible prick now though. Leave the Brian Pillman stuff in the past. Almost fittingly, the two worst things he's ever done is try to emulate Brian Pillman and feud with Pillman junior! Clearly anything involving Pillman is not a good look for Max.

It was an overall very good show. Not at the highest level of AEW shows but still a great time to be had.

Tremendous main event. Proper gritty fight. Another to add to Mox's endless list of amazing matches this year. What a run. It went how I expected, with Punk winning in the end, further cementing my belief that what they did on Dynamite was the right call, giving Mox his big moment before they returned to what was obviously the original plan. Thank you for your contribution, Mox. You carried this company yet again. A great, great man.

The Acclaimed have arrived! What a fucking belter of a match! For the longest time The Acclaimed were an Attitude Era throwback, super popular with their schtick despite not being able to truly deliver between the ropes. That all changed here. Amazing match, with some incredible selling from Bowens. So disappointing they didn't win. Place would have exploded. Drew McIntyre, Max Caster and Anthony Bowens are all in a sulky Whatsapp group now, titled, "They should've called an audible!"

Poor Bryan Danielson. Arguably the best wrestler of all time, God knows how many matches he's got left in him before concussions force him to retire, and for what's about the second or third time in his AEW career he's been the victim of the over-long run times! Every pay per view it feels like he gets sent out at the three hour mark, just as the fans run out of energy. Tragic. For what it's worth, I did appreciate them at least attempting to pace the show out better by having a couple of shorter matches or turning matches into angles, but it seems impossible for them to avoid that inevitable dip. Bryan needs to petition for the opener at Full Gear.

But yeah, loved Christian and Jungleboy turning into an angle. Great booking. The last thing  we needed that deep into the show was another long match. Save it for later and let Christian blow a kiss to Jack's mum instead. Perfect.

Conversely though, who did Ricky Starks piss off? Jesus! I appreciate Powerhouse Hobbs has tonnes of potential himself but Ricky felt like a breakout star a few weeks ago, only for him to get practically destroyed here. Clean as a whistle! Weird.

Hayter should have won the belt. We all know it. The crowd in Chicago knew it. No idea why Tony didn't cotton on. Maybe Toni was the person who grassed Triple H up for tampering and this was her reward?

Jade Cargill as She Hulk makes me feel some feelings. My goodness.

You'd like to hope that Sammy and Tay nearly killing Ruby in their match wasn't some type of weird receipt for the heat between Sammy and Kingston. Surely not. Either way though, it looked like Ruby nearly broke both her neck and her nose in the space of minutes! Horrendous.

Anyway, on to the best thing about this show; that Trios Tournament Final is my new match of the year. Un-fucking-believable. The Elite boys are on a completely different level to anyone else in this business. It's ridiculous. Banging action mixed with all these clever story beats, callbacks and character work. This is absolutely top tier, all-timer stuff. Kenny Omega has been back about three weeks and in that time he's told better stories than almost anyone in the industry all year. Teasing that he was a physical wreck, only to walk out with the physique of a Hasbro action figure. Teasing he couldn't do the Terminator dive anymore, only to hit one of the best he's done in years. He's the very best. An actual genius at this. There's no riskier spot in this sport than trying to emulate when The Rock and Stone Cold used to catch sight of each other from across the ring and the crowd would erupt. Feels like we've had decades of piss poor imitations. Not here though! Seeing the entire arena literally jump to their feet every time Page and Omega crossed paths was phenomenal. And then the finish was a thing of fucking beauty! Hangman heartbreak! I love it so much!

What a great weekend to be a wrestling fan. Wrestling is the best.

I'm way too tired to write anything like that. Jeez that was a long night.

I will say it's worth checking out clips from Punk and the press stuff after.

I'd worried about Hangman. I didn't need to based on those reactions.

That MJF stuff gave me chills but damn I think I probably would've lost my mind if I was going in blind without the net speculation etc.

Really enjoyable show. Still not sold on how we got to the Punk stuff if I overthink it but it was obviously a very good main event.

Good grief.

This can’t possibly end well.

Still, quality main event. Even at its worst, AEW always delivers in the ring. 

Punk/MJF is the best thing they’ve ever done so more than happy for them to run it back.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

5 minutes ago, Mr.Showtime said:

I'm 15 minutes into the full YouTube video of this and fucking hell he's still going, it's a must watch. Would love to read what you all think about it. It doesn't seem like anybody is dealing with their issues in the correct way at all.

It's absolutely fascinating.

On the one hand it's fucking mental if it's all real.

On the other hand, if it's a work.. I dunno. I don't want to be questioning absolutely everything as to whether it's a work or not really. It gets exhausting.

Just now, TheDude said:

Either it's a work (extremely doubtful) or Punk is 1997 levels of HBK meltdown. It's truly fascinating. Khan not doing a damn thing about it too. 

It’s interesting.

I struggle with it as a work, as why would you all sign off on the absolute bodying of Colt Cobana for the sake of what? … Page/Punk 2? Punk/FTR vs Page/Bucks?

It doesn’t make a tonne of sense.

So you’re left assuming this is real. Based on Jericho’s comments about having to give a speech to his colleagues about keeping things in house, I reckon someone’s been caught telling tall tales to little people.

Even still, Punk is the figurehead of the company… he can’t just be out there firing shots at the, on paper, senior executives 😂

It feels like the company is going through a period of growing pains, and I suspect it’ll get messier before it gets cleaner. Between Jericho’s comments and Khan saying he should have corrected Nick Jackson, I reckon Punk is seen to be ‘in the right’ - he’s just handling it fucking terribly.

He’s also never happy, he hated working for suits and now he hates working for wrestlers. At some point he may have to accept the problem is, in some part, him.

Drama queen.

My biggest worry is that it ruins Punk/MJF as they feel compelled to take this shit onto TV and it becomes a ‘most disgruntled employee’ competition.

4 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

My biggest worry is that it ruins Punk/MJF as they feel compelled to take this shit onto TV and it becomes a ‘most disgruntled employee’ competition.

That's definitely something that wouldn't make much sense for me from a work perspective. Why they'd have Punk shitting all over the company vs MJF who is also against the company. It wouldn't make much sense logically.

• Paid Members

Holy shit.

If thats not a work then bravo. If not..........imagine being Tony sitting there as this all goes off. Hes jsut slagging off most of your company while you have to sit there and take it.

Can you think of any company that would allow that? 

Edited by quote the raven