1PW Returns

ReturnOfTheMack

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Following this didn't Gauntlet start some non 1PW shows that stopped before it really started?

Pro Wrestling 101. I went to one of the shows in Sheffield (possibly their only one?) It was a really excellent show with some great matches. 

Off the back of that, I bought a ticket to the next show like a mug. It got cancelled and I never got a refund. 

And yet, I'm still half intrigued by this new show. 😫

Just replace the imports from TNA with imports from AEW.. 

Pretty sure AEW will soon start to do there own show over here at some point. I'll wait till that happened. 

Had some good memories of all those Dome shows, the Granby ones were shite. But you'd think Gauntly had learnt his lesson the first time, I won't be going. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

Surely the 1PW name is tarnished beyond repair within the wrestling business and to even their most loyal fans. It's many incarnations burned so many people, there's so many incidents it's hard to recall them all. 

They've not run a show since 2011, that's before PROGRESS or RevPro came along, before practically every other indie company in the country. There's a generation of fans who have started following British wrestling since then who have never heard of 1PW or Gauntley.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

Surely the 1PW name is tarnished beyond repair within the wrestling business and to even their most loyal fans. It's many incarnations burned so many people, there's so many incidents it's hard to recall them all. 

I assumed that Gauntley figured that out, and that anyone who would be put off by the 1PW name would also be smart enough to figure out if a company with a different name was ran by him, so hoped the old 1PW fans may still have enough nostalgia for giving it a go.

Just now, BomberPat said:

They've not run a show since 2011, that's before PROGRESS or RevPro came along, before practically every other indie company in the country. There's a generation of fans who have started following British wrestling since then who have never heard of 1PW or Gauntley.

That's part of what I'm trying to say. Surely at best fans will be unfamiliar with the 1PW name but at worse they'll know it as the unreliable joke of a company everyone on here knows it as. Either way I can't see the 1PW name having much credibility in the year 2022

• Paid Members
Just now, LEGIT said:

That's part of what I'm trying to say. Surely at best fans will be unfamiliar with the 1PW name but at worse they'll know it as the unreliable joke of a company everyone on here knows it as. Either way I can't see the 1PW name having much credibility in the year 2022

Unfamiliarity is, I assume, what he's going for, though. People who have never heard the name, but see a big show with big names attached, aren't going to be put off the way that those of us who know the name would be. And the PWTorch interview shows the tone he's going for, he's promoting the back catalogue as a place where stars were made, as this vault of dream matches - that's why he's starting with PAC vs. AJ Styles - rather than as somewhere with a greater concentration of abject wrong'uns on a single card than anywhere else pre-Speaking Out, and that pissed away goodwill even faster than it did money.

We really overestimate the extent to which branding matters to people. Unless you're a company like PROGRESS that made their name on the branding, the vast majority of people just go to watch The Wrestling, not whatever alphabet soup name the local promotion has come up with. A poster at Donny Dome with RVD, Ruby Soho and Mickie James on it is going to turn more heads than whether they called this 1PW or something else entirely. On one hand, I'd say that he'd be smarter running under another name just to try and deflect the criticism that comes from us oldies who remember it first and second time around, but on the other, he's wangled a deal with Fite TV by monetising the back catalogue (that it's not clear if he owns in the first place), so he needs the name for that.

So, yeah, at worst it's a calculated risk that the majority of potential punters won't have heard the name before and won't look any further into it than that. British wrestling has, for the last decade, been surprisingly (relatively) free from fly-by-night shysters, con men and money marks in the Gauntley or Sprules ilk, so newer fans aren't as accustomed to thinking that a new big promotion or big show with big names attached might be too good to be true, and worth looking into. 

• Paid Members

To those of us with memories, "already announced for the show" translates into "50/50 chance the one you least care about turning up actually does, 0% the biggest name here does."

43 minutes ago, King of Hamptons said:

But you'd think Gauntly had learnt his lesson the first time, I won't be going. 

Some people never learn.

1 hour ago, Ro_y Disco said:

I bought a ticket to the next show like a mug. It got cancelled and I never got a refund. 

And yet, I'm still half intrigued by this new show. 😫

Case in point.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Following this didn't Gauntlet start some non 1PW shows that stopped before it really started?

2 hours ago, Ro_y Disco said:

Pro Wrestling 101. I went to one of the shows in Sheffield (possibly their only one?) It was a really excellent show with some great matches. 

He also started another promotion after 101, called Pro Wrestling Republic, which, I'm fairly sure, didn't run any shows. Happy to be corrected, though.

Whilst I can see the argument for Corey Graves, it does strike me a bit odd that they're claiming they were where Drake Maverick/Spud got launched - he'd been around for some time, had wrestled for loads of promotions, including ROH (I know that's not a massive promotion, but they still had that weird in-between kind of exposure at the time). 

Ultimately, the most I remember about 1PW was how annoying some of the fans got in their near-cult-like behaviour. 

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I'm really excited for this tbh. The dome is an amazing venue and I'll be there to enjoy the experience 

As long as nobody's behaving like an autistic child near you I'm sure you'll have a super time.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

He also started another promotion after 101, called Pro Wrestling Republic, which, I'm fairly sure, didn't run any shows. Happy to be corrected, though.

I could be wrong but didn't they have a belt made before they'd even run a show?

There's so much to process:

It's a brand that's been dead for a decade, It means nothing to casual fans so seems pointless to use it, outside of the tape library (which could easily be rebranded). The fans it does mean anything to will know all about their time keeping, no-shows backstage shennanigans and shit arsery.

Hilariously they have launched without potentially owning the actual branding or tape library

Their business model has been done better and for longer by pretty much everyone else now. Progress managed to get the balance of imports and on going storylines with UK talent, PCW managed to justify paying imports by running 3 events over a weekend then splitting with Southside. What Culture was getting the online views to *in theory* justify talent costs. 

Who are they actually going to get on their shows? Their whole model was import heavy and everyone is under contract now. AEW? They can't be far off running a UK show, they aren't going to spunk that away by letting their talent appear en-masse on a UK iPPV.
That small pocket of talent that isn't under contract, can still go and has name value? RVD will sell tickets but He'll price himself out of splitting costs once he's over here. Who else is there?
Most UK talent that is decent enough to fill a PPV is treading water in NXT UK. I'm not saying there isn't fantastic UK talent out there that isn't under contract, but who are the names that people will pay for?

I give it 1 Gauntley out of 5 that this will ever happen

SGaunt.png

25 minutes ago, chokeout said:

It's a brand that's been dead for a decade, It means nothing to casual fans so seems pointless to use it, outside of the tape library (which could easily be rebranded). The fans it does mean anything to will know all about their time keeping, no-shows backstage shennanigans and shit arsery.

Hilariously they have launched without potentially owning the actual branding or tape library

Also a lot of those early show matches, the dvd quality was awful! 

• Paid Members

I’m struggling to work out his end game here. Surely he knows that this isn’t going to work? There’s way too many people owed money from 1PW for him to just start using the trademarks and especially the video library again.

He might be gambling that no one will think it’s worth pursuing, I suppose, but that’s a big risk. I can’t imagine FITE will want to get involved in that sort of legal mind-fuck. One cease and desist will scrap the whole deal.

Of course, if he’s paid off the creditors and actually owns everything legit then it’s a different story. That doesn’t seem to be the case though, at least going by Danny Rodd’s tweet.