1PW Returns

ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2022/04/11/fite-partners-with-returning-1pw-and-releases-never-before-seen-pac-vs-styles-match-details-on-october-return/

U.K independent promotion 1PW is returning this October with an event that will air on Fite.tv.

PWTorch has learned exclusively that One Pro Wrestling (1PW), which ceased operations in August of 2011, is returning with “A New Twist of Fate” on Oct 1 at the Doncaster Dome in Doncaster, England. The show will stream on Fite.tv about a week after it is filmed as a VOD. Already announced for the event are Rob Van Dam, Ruby Soho, and Mickie James.

PWTorch spoke with 1PW managing director Steven Gauntley about why now was the right time to bring 1PW back. Gauntley indicated that he felt the timing was right given that there was a void at the top of the British Wrestling scene. “I have always had a passion and love for what 1PW was able to achieve many years ago,” said Gauntley. “It completely changed the landscape of the wrestling business in the U.K., and myself and my team just really feel, as I’m sure many people can agree, that the timing is perfect for 1PW to come back and fill the void at the top of British wrestling again. There is not really a premium brand right now in the U.K. that has capturing people’s imaginations the way 1PW did before , and so I think the market place is wide open and desperate for a freshly envisioned 1PW to lead to way to a new renaissance in British wrestling.

Gauntley also indicated that he felt partnering with Fite TV would bring the promotion to a bigger audience. “The deal with Fite TV will enable fans from all over the world to experience the 1PW magic via pay per view and so we are marketing our product at a global audience,” said Gauntley. “We have formed working relationships with AEW and several other hugely successful promotions that we will announce over the coming weeks, all with our vision to bring totally unique lineups for U.K. fans to experience live, whilst providing fans the world over with an incredible unrivaled independent wrestling lineup.”

Fite.tv Digital Director Paul Owen also commented on the partnership in a press release issued by 1PW and Fite. “We couldn’t be happier to be partnering with 1PW and supporting their relaunch in the British Professional Wrestling market” said Owen. “The content landscape has changed dramatically since 1PW held their last show and we’re excited to bring their events to a worldwide audience and deliver their extensive professional wrestling catalog to our growing offering for FITE+ subscribers.”

In addition to returning to running live events, 1PW’s catalog will also be posted for Fite+ customers on Fite.tv periodically leading up to the return of the promotion in October. Most of this footage has not been widely distributed and has rarely been seen. The footage has never been distributed online and features names such as AJ Styles, El Generico (Sami Zayn), Abyss, Samoa Joe, Christian Cage, Steve Corino, and Bret ‘The Hitman’ Hart. It also includes a roster of top British wrestlers like Pac, Doug Williams, Jody Fleisch, and Greg Burridge. 1PW also helped launch the careers of the first-current WWE announcer Corey Graves (Sterling James Keenan) and former WWE Superstar Drake Maverick (Spud).

Gauntley told PWTorch that fans can look forward to seeing a unique lineup of talent as the back catalog is gets posted on Fite+. “Over the course of this year the entire back catalogue will go up,” said Gauntley.  We launch with two huge events from back in 2006 and I think the thing that will surprise people is the absolutely unique world class lineup that we had back then with talent from TAN, Japan, ROH , and beyond.  Right away fans will be able to see the absolute classic AJ styles vs Pac match up , which was the match that introduced a young Pac to the world stage, as well as matches featuring Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe, Abyss, Nigel Mcguiness , SJK (now known as Corey graves ), Spud (WWE’s Drake Maverick), and more.”

PWTorch asked Gauntley, which match being released would surprise people and he mentioned the No Ropes Barbed Wired Hell Abyss vs. Steve Corino match from the “First Anniversary Show” as one worth checking out. “I would absolutely recommend fans to check out the No Ropes Barbed Wire Hell match between Steve Corino and Abyss for the 1PW world title , which was a European first , and stands to this day as an absolutely shocking and uniquely brutal bout held in front of an electric crowd,” said Gauntley.

Gauntley also pointed towards the footage providing fans to see the early career matches of Corey Graves and Drake Maverick. “Additionally there are chances to see the early careers of such as WWEs Corey Graves and Drake Maverick back when 1PW was giving them their platform to burst onto the global stage and establish their careers,” said Gauntley.

1PW is posting two full events today on Fite+ on Fite.tv, as “Invincible 2006” and “First Anniversary Show” will be available to stream. Additionally, Fite.tv is posting A.J. Styles vs. Pac on YouTube today for free. 

So. Yeah, I'd heard rumblings but thought it wouldn't come to anything. Still, it's right on my doorstep, nearly literally.

Edit: fucking quote tags 

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack

48 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

All three will eventually pull out, to be replaced with Virgil, Drew McDonald and Jimmy Havoc (if his DHL delivery jobs have all been finished on time).

I'll give you odds of 1,000,000/1 that doesn't happen.

• Paid Members

Here's hoping for all the bollocks; dozens of imports on ever show with only half turning up, starting shows 2 hours late, finishing shows 4 hours late, internet spats and worked shoots over tape libraries & belts, internet spats and worked shoots about thefts from the locker room, people moaning for the next 5 years they've never got a refund for something.

Fingers crossed lads.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

All three will eventually pull out, to be replaced with Virgil, Drew McDonald and Jimmy Havoc (if his DHL delivery jobs have all been finished on time).

It’s fine. Any show will go way past midnight, so plenty of time for him to finish his shift and get over the venue. 

I’m torn on this.

Pro’s: A guy I know & trust is involved with this, Doncaster is very close to where I live.

Con’s: Tickets are not available online yet, despite their big press release saying they are. Already not delivering on their promises.

• Paid Members

not that long ago (maybe two or three years), he had a business selling shit retro video game art on Etsy, and got a ton of complaints for ripping people off, either never sending anything, sending the wrong thing, or fulfilling orders ridiculously late, and either blocking people or coming up with a million excuses (crying sick, blaming his bank, whatever else). Eventually he deleted all of his accounts, and then just kept on doing the same thing under a different name. 

So, yeah, I'm sure this time we can trust him.

I remember the old shows. Great way to meet the talent at the merch tables. Occasionally, they'd have talent like Bret, who cost ÂŁ30 to meet at a special meet and greet.

They've announced 3 talents so far, all are 30 per person for meet and greets. Seems a lot like there's no merch table meetings, and instead there will be a con style environment with meetings needing to be purchased. Because the names announced aren't huge names... so I doubt they're the main talents and will be the only ones who have a payroll to meet.

If the tickets are priced well enough, I may give it a go, but it seems like this is Gauntley selling Fite and AEW a story of how he helped TNA and ROH break England, ignoring the help he got from Antony Kingdom James, and hoping to make as much money in as short a time as possible. 

I enjoyed previous 1pw shows, but I don't trust Gauntley at all. So anything I purchase is going through the arena. At least I'll get my refund that way