Will Smith just slapped Chris Rock (no sold it)

IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators

Assuming what I saw wasn't edited, the full length video where Rock tells the joke, Smith is smiling, closely followed by him getting on stage is very strange to watch and does hint towards someone totally unhinged IMO.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Does that matter?

I think it does to some extent. The golden rule is that you don't make fun of somebody for something that they can't change - making fun of somebody's haircut is a completely different proposition to making fun of someone having a shaved head because of a medical condition.

As for whether Rock knew about it, apparently she "went public" about it last year. I have no idea, but then I barely know who she is. Chris Rock is in a very different position to Joe Public.

Edited by BomberPat

26 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

There’s some real hyper masculinity around this. It’s not like on Buzzcocks when Amstell was taking the piss out of someone’s wife who wasn’t there, Chris Rock said it directly to her and Will Smith laughed. Then he got all Johnny Concrete when he saw she didn’t find it funny to try and claim back some masculinity after getting cucked for years. Don’t worry little lady, I’ll take care of this regardless of if you want me to or not. 

Yeah totally.  I’m happy to leave the “smashing a bloke cos he said something about me bird” attitudes in the 90s with Men Behaving Badly.

If you’re front row at most watched comedy set of the year (which is what this bit of the Oscars is) you don’t get to tee off at a tasteless joke.

@neil The whole thing certainly plays into that sneaking suspicion that Big Willy is not entirely on the level, doesn’t it?

• Paid Members

Smith could've just got up on stage, and said a quick "That was out of order, she's had alopecia and you know that" into the mike before going back to his seat. That spell of awkwardness would've done more than a slap.

10 minutes ago, neil said:

Assuming what I saw wasn't edited, the full length video where Rock tells the joke, Smith is smiling, closely followed by him getting on stage is very strange to watch and does hint towards someone totally unhinged IMO.

I really don't want to act like I have any idea what people are going through or what but his acceptance speech had me thinking maybe Smith isn't very well at the moment.

19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Does that matter?

Of course. If she shaved her hair then that joke is about her having the same style of hair as a character in a film. Its not half as tasteless.

Obviously as she has a condition that can't be helped, it changes the entire context and meaning behind it, especially if he knew that.

That still doesn't excuse hitting someone on stage

Edited by Factotum

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

I really don't want to act like I have any idea what people are going through or what but his acceptance speech had me thinking maybe Smith isn't very well at the moment.

Have you never seen an Oscar acceptance speech before?

I wonder how Jada Pinkett-Smith feels about this? Would she want to be "defended" in such a public way in the first place? How does she feel about her alopecia being thrust into the spotlight in this way, without her having any say in the matter?

Even if you overlook the assault aspect of it, which I don't think you should, it's really difficult justify Will Smith's response. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Smith could've just got up on stage, and said a quick "That was out of order, she's had alopecia and you know that" into the mike before going back to his seat. That spell of awkwardness would've done more than a slap.

He could have just sat there, grinned through and had a chat with him after the show if he felt that strongly. If he was that angry he could have walked out and cooled down. 

Getting on stage at all is a cock move, regardless of what he did. Slapping him is making it a lot worse like, but still. 

• Moderators

I'm looking forward to Joe Rogan's breakdown of how you can't make jokes anymore, Chris Rock is one of the nicest guys around, and then a detailed breakdown into the slap touching on it being Bas Rutten's style, and how Smith should adjust his mechanics to make the slap more effective.

9 minutes ago, neil said:

I'm looking forward to Joe Rogan's breakdown of how you can't make jokes anymore, Chris Rock is one of the nicest guys around, and then a detailed breakdown into the slap touching on it being Bas Rutten's style, and how Smith should adjust his mechanics to make the slap more effective.

The open palm strike is more effective on the ground because opening up the fist gives you more room to generate force across a very short distance.

I think thats why Chris Rock didnt just jump guard tbh. He is dangerous off his back but this isn't sport jiu-jitsu, its real fighting. His submissions go out the window if Will can get some ground and pound off.