Will Smith just slapped Chris Rock (no sold it)

IANdrewDiceClay

50 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

As for whether Rock knew about it, apparently she "went public" about it last year. I have no idea, but then I barely know who she is. Chris Rock is in a very different position to Joe Public.

Chris Rock did a documentary about hair and how culturally significant it is to African Americans. It adds to the humiliation for her knowing a black man who knows the importance of hair ridiculed her in front of hundreds of millions. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

He could have just sat there, grinned through and had a chat with him after the show if he felt that strongly. If he was that angry he could have walked out and cooled down. 

Getting on stage at all is a cock move, regardless of what he did. Slapping him is making it a lot worse like, but still. 

Don't agree. It's no more a cock move than making an unpleasant joke about someone's personal appearance. If anything, there's balance - the joke's made on a live mike in front of an audience, in front of the person it looks to humiliate, so the verbal rebuttal can take the same form. Take the physical aspect out of it, I don't see the issue. 

Rooster made a good point, though - did Jada need defending though?

At what point do you think Big Will's scorched brain opted to go with a slap?

I like to think when he stood up he was thinking "I am going rock his body with big, nasty hooks" but at some point between that moment and the moment of impact he thought "...that might be a bit much actually" so went with a shotei instead. 

Also a very strange move to slap someone and then walk away, sit down and start shouting at them.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

It's no more a cock move than making an unpleasant joke about someone's personal appearance. If anything, there's balance - the joke's made on a live mike in front of an audience, in front of the person it looks to humiliate, so the verbal rebuttal can take the same form. Take the physical aspect out of it, I don't see the issue

It's not a group of friends sat around a table in a pub, it's a professional show and working environment. Like him or not here Rock was actually just doing his job. He might have been doing it badly some would say but that's by the by.

I'm not going to a comedy club with you if getting up on stage for a heated debate mid set is the standard for not taking well to a joke. 

You can shout out if you are pissed off, I don't agree with it but it's done, but you don't get out your seat and walk on the stage. Much like you don't jump the rail at sports events or try and walk into the cockpit of an airplane because you don't like the turbulence. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

It's not a group of friends sat around a table in a pub, it's a professional show and working environment. Like him or not here Rock was actually just doing his job. He might have been doing it badly some would say but that's by the by.

I'm not going to a comedy club with you if getting up on stage for a heated debate mid set is the standard for not taking well to a joke. 

You can shout out if you are pissed off, I don't agree with it but it's done, but you don't get out your seat and walk on the stage. Much like you don't jump the rail at sports events or try and walk into the cockpit of an airplane because you don't like the turbulence. 

I dunno about you but I go to comedy clubs to let off steam and so I can shout at the comedians and call them cunts

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Going to have to agree to disagree there. All sorts of things go down at celeb/awards events, I personally have no problem with it.

Cockpit of an aeroplane isn't a good analogy - there's no risk of loads of people dying in a fiery crash if Smith goes up on stage. (Except him and Chris Rock.) I take your point about the stand-up, but it's not the exact same situation, and as someone who's usually bored shitless by awards ceremonies, it makes for mildly more interesting viewing.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Cockpit of an aeroplane isn't a good analogy - there's no risk of loads of people dying in a fiery crash if Smith goes up on stage

I'm applying a ridiculous example to be facetious. 

You being entertained by it doesn't make it acceptable, because ultimately what happened here was Chris Rock was paid to do a job and got smacked for it. Should he have been doing that bit, no, but that's on whoever booked him and him not being perfect. I'm not excusing him. However it's not a if or situation. Was will allowed to be upset, yes. Does that give him the right to get on the stage, no. He could have raised that in other ways that are more acceptable and I'd like to think a good comedian would have understood why, especially with such an awfully lazy line. 

Let's put it this way, you were shit on the chase and if Mark Labbett had walked on mid show and called you a twat it probably would have been entertaining, but it's a shit thing to do all the same. 

The incident itself is a good laugh but Smith's mad speech afterwards puts me on Team Chris. Omitting an apology to the lad he slapped. Claiming he was channelling Richard Williams while his daughters have to sit and live react on national TV. Mad cunt stuff.

1 hour ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

The open palm strike is more effective on the ground because opening up the fist gives you more room to generate force across a very short distance.

It's all in the hip. Or the double hip, for the adventurous.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I think thats why Chris Rock didnt just jump guard tbh. He is dangerous off his back but this isn't sport jiu-jitsu, its real fighting. His submissions go out the window if Will can get some ground and pound off. 

Yeah exactly, while Rock does have a very effective berimbolo to crab-ride back take, he only trains it no-gi. It suddenly dawned on him that with the types of suits both he and Will were wearing that this was a situation where you really needed to be good in the gi and unfortunately for him Guy Ritchie was not close by to coach.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, neil said:

I'm looking forward to Joe Rogan's breakdown of how you can't make jokes anymore, Chris Rock is one of the nicest guys around, and then a detailed breakdown into the slap touching on it being Bas Rutten's style, and how Smith should adjust his mechanics to make the slap more effective.

If you go back 30, 40 years... 

86d9e753bc148b055b1d88d08277d97853-joe-rogan-heidecker-podcast.2x.rsocial.w600.jpg

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I'm applying a ridiculous example to be facetious. 

You being entertained by it doesn't make it acceptable, because ultimately what happened here was Chris Rock was paid to do a job and got smacked for it. Should he have been doing that bit, no, but that's on whoever booked him and him not being perfect. I'm not excusing him. However it's not a if or situation. Was will allowed to be upset, yes. Does that give him the right to get on the stage, no. He could have raised that in other ways that are more acceptable and I'd like to think a good comedian would have understood why, especially with such an awfully lazy line. 

Not saying it makes it acceptable, that was just an addition to say I'd have found it more entertaining. I get what you're saying, and possibly I'm a bit biased due to being a bit jaded about the whole Hollywood thing, but first and foremost in my mind was the issue of visibility: if someone's seen to be immediately challenged, publicly, about making that kind of joke, then it might resonate. Looking back on it, though, you're probably right he should've just shouted or something.

Either way, I don't think a quiet word afterwards is good - the humiliation was public, the correction shouldn't be private.

30 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Let's put it this way, you were shit on the chase and if Mark Labbett had walked on mid show and called you a twat it probably would have been entertaining, but it's a shit thing to do all the same. 

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bonji90o6kwviak6i7l4

• Paid Members
Just now, Carbomb said:

Either way, I don't think a quiet word afterwards is good - the humiliation was public, the correction shouldn't be private.

Fair enough, I can understand that. But he's Will Smith, I'd like to think he has a suitable public platform through mainstream Hollywood media or social media to do that when cooler heads prevail. Then people might debate and understand that and not be focusing on Will Smith himself as they are now.