AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

MJF is also very last era of Dynamite for me already. And I like the act. But I guess a reliance on cheap heat only gets you so far and I can't say the shows are screaming out for his ECW Miz stuff at the moment. 

Echo most thoughts in here with AEW getting back on track, should be a delicious few months coming up.

The only negative thing I have in the back of my mind is that same feeling when you're awaiting number 30 in the rumble, only to remember as the countdown starts that it's Kane - only this time, it's in the form of Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Merzbow said:

He did something similar with Jungle Boy for ages, always pushing the Jack Perry bit even though it was obvious no one else was.

That was especially annoying because Jungle Boy has repeatedly, publicly, said that he purposefully didn't use his surname because he didn't want to be seen as coasting on his dad's fame. Throw in the emotional complications of his dad's death, and JR just deciding "fuck what the kid wants, I'm going to say this" never sat right with me.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That was especially annoying because Jungle Boy has repeatedly, publicly, said that he purposefully didn't use his surname because he didn't want to be seen as coasting on his dad's fame. Throw in the emotional complications of his dad's death, and JR just deciding "fuck what the kid wants, I'm going to say this" never sat right with me.

Add to that Perry isn’t that unusual a name. Had I not known about his Dad I could have just as well thought he was related to professional twat Mike “Porky” Perry or  CJ Perry. 

• Awards Moderator

I didn’t know JB didn’t want that name used, which changes things, but I had always liked JR adding the JP. I’m always inclined to the “‘Wrestling Nickname’ Actual Name” naming structure which may be why. Second only to “Name ‘The Nickname’ Name’ in my book.

10 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I think JR just kept saying it by mistake and the mini-strop he had on his podcast about it was a post hoc rationalisation lest people twig it was just senility.

It's a bit of a non-story at this point in 2022 when Jungle Boy is in an angle that's involved his dad.

Back when he was a kid on the indies. He wanted to make it own his own, and not trade on his dad's fame. Signs with AEW and his dad tragically passes early in 2019. Which spotlighted the relationship for a lot of people that were otherwise unaware.

The AEW PR/Marketing machine starts up to build to Dynamite's launch and Jungle Boy was always in the group of wrestlers doing appearances. As certainly AEW understood the benefit of playing on a good looking kid with a famous father would get some attention on their product. Most of the articles/interviews would refer to him as some variation of 'Jungle Boy' Jack Perry son of 90210 actor Luke Perry.

JR probably picked up from it from that more than anything. It's not like he does a lot of wrestling related research.

I'm guessing I missed something but how did Rush wind up getting a title shot with his 1-0 record? I haven't been watching Rampage and I fell behind on Dynamite as I was traveling. So, I guess there was an eliminator or something?

Other than that, great show. Especially the first hour, but the main event was great, too. They still need to get the formatting down a bit more because a cut here, a snip there and a few things allowed longer to breathe would have made the full two-hours a great show, all-in. I am a huge Ricky Starks guy - good wrestler, charisma for days. That top rope walk he does is money. And having Hobbs absolutley clobber him while he's giving the promo of his life was great. This is the AEW I wanted back. Course, then I had to see UNDISPUTED ELITE RETURNS NEXT WEEK. Getting ready to feel depressed when I hear ReDragon's music again.

On Punk and Mox and the belt, Mox is still - at some point - due a heel turn, right? It seemed he was heading heel prior to his stint in rehab and when he returned, obviously it would have been impossible to get the fans booing him. But that turn will come. My fantasy booking is that Mox turns on Eddie Kingston - I think he'd get a nuclear reaction for that given how much the fans have taken to Kingston. Perhaps Eddie gets a title shot and Mox cheats to win, turning him heel and that leading into Punk returning as a babyface and doing the unification match.

Edited by 69MeDon

31 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

I'm guessing I missed something but how did Rush wind up getting a title shot with his 1-0 record? I haven't been watching Rampage and I fell behind on Dynamite as I was traveling. So, I guess there was an eliminator or something?

7 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Didn't they try to explain that Rush had been undefeated for a stupidly long time outside of AEW or something?

They mentioned on the ROH PPV that Rush getting a shot because he’d won his last 10 matches in ROH & Mexico.

Its a strange way of justifying it, as if we’re counting wins in other companies then by that logic Roman Reigns should be due a shot having only lost once in nearly 3 years

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

They mentioned on the ROH PPV that Rush getting a shot because he’d won his last 10 matches in ROH & Mexico.

Its a strange way of justifying it, as if we’re counting wins in other companies then by that logic Roman Reigns should be due a shot having only lost once in nearly 3 years

To be fair, If Roman Reigns turned up to AEW, I'm pretty sure they'd give him a shot.

30 Dynamites so far this year. This is the match appearance breakdown for the Women's division. I got looking into it as I saw it mentioned Kris Statlander's only match on Dynamite this year was the mixed tag with OC v. Baker & Cole. Which turned out to be true. All her other TV appearances have been on Rampage.

8 Britt Baker
7 Thunder Rosa
7 Toni Storm
5 Jade Cargill
5 Serena Deeb
4 Marina Shafir
3 Hikaru Shida
3 Jamie Hayter
3 Leyla Hirsch
3 Mercedes Martinez
3 Ruby Soho
2 Nyla Rose