AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

Tony Schiavone should be employed for as long as he wants to be, a complete breath of fresh air compared to 90% of announcers these days. Comes across as authentic and seems like just the nicest guy who you can tell enjoys going to work. He's also the best part of Brit Bakers act.  

• Paid Members

Tony comes across as genuinely loving what he's doing which means one of two things:

1) He's come back to a job that he loves, is very good at it and is enjoying it, so we should keep him and get rid of JR

2) He's very very good at faking enthusiasm and JR isn't so we should keep him and get rid of JR

On 2/21/2022 at 1:10 PM, Supremo said:

This. Whilst it was nice that Jim got that moment when he returned, the novelty wore off after about a week and it was obvious what a step down it was losing Taz. JR has a place in the company doing sit down interviews and maybe calling PPV main events but for anything else they’ve got far better options.

The main reason for that is that Taz is an actual heel colour commentator - something that is IMO hugely missing in the normal lineup.  Excalibur seems to be play by play, Schiavone is I guess face colour?  JR just doesn't have a role really.  Whereas Taz brings the much needed heel side of the story.  Wrestling commentary is always better when you've got a Heenan or King justifying the heel's motivations.

36 minutes ago, Loki said:

The main reason for that is that Taz is an actual heel colour commentator - something that is IMO hugely missing in the normal lineup.  Excalibur seems to be play by play, Schiavone is I guess face colour?  JR just doesn't have a role really.  Whereas Taz brings the much needed heel side of the story.  Wrestling commentary is always better when you've got a Heenan or King justifying the heel's motivations.

Spot on. I still really enjoy JR but Taz’s run in the booth was great, despite coinciding with one of the coldest run of shows they’ve put out in the last year. Very revealing of how that heel perspective had been lacking.

I think the earlier suggestion of an Excalibur/Schiavone ‘core’ team with a rotating third chair (mostly featuring Taz, with JR in for main events and the odd guest spot) is the way to go.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, AVM said:

I'm not too keen on JR or Excalibur. I'd like to see a trio of Wilson Philips, Samoa Joe and Tony Schiavone, possibly rotating Joe with Taz. 

Hold on.

Tom Hannifan is in Impact now doing their play by play alongaide Mathew Rehwoldt (TAFKA Aiden English) and they're pretty good. It's a relief to hear a commentator who's trying to put over what's going on it the ring rather than trying to trying to put himself over. 

• Paid Members

I feel a bit sorry for JR, even if he is a puppy murderer. He got royally fucked over and humiliated by WWE/Vince, his Mrs died in a freak accident and now he's battling cancer. He sounds so out of place on AEW weekly TV and it really doesn't sound like he's able for it anymore or even that he enjoys it. If Khan was feeling charitable, just use JR for a few big-ish matches a year and let him go recruit college athletes or whatever for AEW the rest of the time, Something that he enjoys and was quite good at in WWE.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Hold on.

Tom Hannifan is in Impact now doing their play by play alongaide Mathew Rehwoldt (TAFKA Aiden English) and they're pretty good. It's a relief to hear a commentator who's trying to put over what's going on it the ring rather than trying to trying to put himself over. 

That sounds like a decent combo, though I can't think of anything that isn't an upgrade on Josh Matthews.

With JR, I think Tony Khan probably feels some loyalty to him, and with the cancer diagnosis, maybe he wants to let him come back and finish on his own terms. I really hope those terms are quite soon, though. He didn't crack the top 10 worst announcers in the Observer awards, but he scored more votes in the worst category (placing 13th) than he did for coming 9th in the best category.

I feel bad for him, remembering how much he added when he was at his best and he's just so dreadful now.

• Paid Members

Saw this on a dirtsheet last week

Ross recently appeared on the Jmart & Ramon Podcast, and talked about how he’d like to end his career with AEW.

“My contracts up soon and I’m not looking to go anywhere,” Ross revealed. “But nonetheless, I’m 70, I’ve got to be realistic at some point my crazy ass life cause I haven’t been. If my late wife were here she’d say amen to that because he’s a character. I’m loving what I’m doing, still fun for me guys. As long as you keep that element in your place of work, you’re alright, you’re doing good.”

Ross continued and praised AEW President Tony Khan as a genius.

“I can damn sure call a wrestling match because that’s what I love to do. At my age, I’m a widower, my life is occupied by only a small handful of things. One of them is broadcasting a pro wrestling match, as crazy as that sounds. It’s a great little company to be with, we’re growing exponentially, Tony Khan is a genius,” JR said.

Dynamite is looking alright innit. 

*TBS BELT: Jade Cargill vs The Bunny

*The House of Black vs PAC and Penta El Cero Miedo

*Eddie Kingston and Chris Jericho have a chat 

*TAG BATTLE ROYAL #1: Young Bucks, ReDragon, Butcher and Blade, 2.0, Private Party, The Ass Boys, FTR, Proud n Powerful, Chuck and Trent, John Silver and Alex Reynolds 

*BIG BOYS LADDER QUALIFER: Ricky Starks Vs 10

*BRYAN DANIELSON VS DANIEL GARCIA

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

B46C5DB7-562F-488C-A5EB-11CDA39E8153.thumb.jpeg.4f647cdbdda3049cb573acdeda4936b0.jpeg

E73D481E-6FA2-45C5-892C-19EE6BE6CA84.thumb.jpeg.82e595b402abdaaba0c56215dee8cea2.jpeg

MJF’s promo was fucking phenomenal. Top tier. Fucking crying! Amazing. This is an all-time great feud. Between this and the Mox/Danielson thing, AEW are fantastic at doing legitimate twists and turns that I don’t expect, but with the added bonus of being good enough to where there’s a reason for it and I’m rewarded for getting invested. After this, I suspect Punk leaves his guard down next week and ends up in a pool of his own blood.

Speaking of top tier promos, add Chris Jericho to the long list of guys like Moxley and Punk who you think are great promos, only for them to be completely exposed and swallowed by Eddie Kingston, who’s the best ever. I didn’t even particularly like much of his material, all smarky and shooty, nudge nudge wink wink, but the delivery is so incredible that it doesn’t matter. You just completely buy that he’s a real person saying whatever is in his head. Plus, you can’t argue with the facts. Lad had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand and above all else makes you want to see him fight. King.

But yeah, what a show Revolution has become! They take forever to get into PPV season, and then always feel like they’re rushing and throwing things together in the last few weeks, but fuck me can they put together a card worth buying*!

*Matt Hardy/Andrade/Kassidy vs. Sting/Allin/Sammy tornado trios match aside. Absolutely no idea where that came from. Legitimately the worst match you could think of with the guys involved. What does Matt Hardy have over Tony Khan? Surely it’s got to be more than Jeff?

Edited by Supremo