AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

• Paid Members

Keeping that TBS title match reasonably simple again meant Jade looked presentable. 

FTR are brilliant. Stick those tag belts on them again. 

I got serious Bret Hart in WCW vibes whenever they were calling Private Party "the private party". Jurassic Express need a proper decisive win over somebody. They're not Rey Mysterio levels of underdog champions, but they do need some decisions ve wins. Even if it's against some local squash guys. 

Those rankings are still bollocks. Private Party & the Ass Boys ranked 1 and 2, but the only tag team that are consistently winning on Dynamite and Rampage are FTR, while Brody King & Malakai Black slam dunk into the number 5 spot with a single win. 

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Those rankings are still bollocks. Private Party & the Ass Boys ranked 1 and 2, but the only tag team that are consistently winning on Dynamite and Rampage are FTR, while Brody King & Malakai Black slam dunk into the number 5 spot with a single win. 

Rankings came out on Wednesday. Their Dynamite and Rampage wins in proper tag matches since Rampage was introduced.

01/12 Rampage taping beating PAC & Penta

03/11 Dynamite taping AAA Tag Title defense against Samuray Del Sol & Aero Star

16/10 Dynamite taping as Las Super Ranas winning the AAA Tag Titles against Lucha Bros

15/09  Dynamite taping against Matt Sydal & Dante Martin

In that time frame they lost to Santana & Ortiz, Sting & Darby, Lucha Bros (x2 Full Gear & Rampage).

With the rankings wipe to start the year it makes sense on paper they wouldn't be ranked as highly. Their one win this year before Rampage was an Elevation match squash. The Acclaimed, Gunn Club, and Private Party had at least picked up multiple wins so far. FTR's history probably edges them over House of Black, but at least House of Black's win was a squash of the Varsity Blonds. Who are the sort of team propped up by Dark/Elevation wins. Which is why I could see them sneaking into the Top 5 after one match.

Watched Rampage for first time in ages last week because a proper live crowd, Moxley and HOOK are all needle movers. Great show! Every match popped in it's own way, especially Moxley vs Page. Everything they did looked good and like it hurt. Putting Jade in the main event was bold as hell and it paid off in spades, elevating her perception as a star. 

Will give this weeks show a go too. It sounds silly but I struggle with taped shows. The dead and/or sweetened crowd is really off-putting for me.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Pillman Jr has been getting pelted for being one of those “fuck cancel culture” lot.

Cant remember exactly what he said at the time but he seemed to make a bit of an arse of himself

If I remember rightly it's not even anything he said, more a jumper he wore? 

Brock Anderson is far too green to be getting match time on Rampage. He gives me serious David Flair vibes every time I see him. 

Big fan however of Jade Cargill aka Girlberg and her streak building further. I hope they keep that going for a long time and don't rush into anyone beating her.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

8 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Brock Anderson is far too green to be getting match time on Rampage. He gives me serious David Flair vibes every time I see him. 

I thought he looked solid enough in the match against FTR, but he's one of the blandest wrestlers I've seen in quite some time. Almost everything about him needs a significant upgrade. 

5 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I thought he looked solid enough in the match against FTR, but he's one of the blandest wrestlers I've seen in quite some time. Almost everything about him needs a significant upgrade. 

Has the gimmick of "a younger version of their dad" worked for *any* 2nd generation wrestler, ever?

• Paid Members

I think Charlotte Flair works because the difference in gender means the comparisons aren't as direct as they would normally be.

Lucha Libre is full of successful second generation gimmicks in that vein, but there's much more of a culture of familial connection there, plus a masked gimmick allows someone like Blue Demon Jr to be presented as a more literal continuation of the original Blue Demon's legacy.

Otherwise, I suppose it depends what you consider the limits of "younger version of their dad" to be - was Dustin Rhodes an extension of the Dusty Rhodes character? When do you start to consider Harry Smith a character in his own right, rather than Davey Boy's kid? 

Generally, I would say "younger version of their dad" is a period that a second-generation wrestler can go through when getting established, and shed as they become more notable in their own right. Goldust is a perfect example of an already great wrestler finding their next gear by abandoning all connection to the previous generation, but if you look at Randy Orton, he was really talked up as third generation when there was little else of note about him. That went away, was brought back with Bob Orton getting involved only after Randy was fully established in his own right, and now it's rarely even a talking point.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

It's more of a generational thing but I suppose Dory Funk Snr and Jnr.

In general, I think you got a lot more of that in smaller territories, especially in the South, where fans were genuinely invested in the wrestler/promoter at the head of it all. Whether that be the Funks, the Von Erichs, or Jeff Jarrett in Memphis, there's a sense of them being familiar faces, rather than seeing it as Erik Watts levels of nepotism. I don't think that kind of connection is possible in a larger promotion.