AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

• Paid Members

All the dumb interruptions and backstage attack tropes these past few months were all worth it for how fresh, exciting and straight up magical that Mox/Danielson angle felt.

Just one bloke bumping into another and giving him a smug smile and I got chills! Fuck yes!

Similarly, it was as if Jade Cargill had purposely shat the bed in her last few performances just to make this main event so ridiculously impressive. Given her recent form, this match with Anna Jay was a fucking miracle! I don’t know if they rehearsed it more or had different agents but whatever happened here they should rinse and repeat forever.

But yeah. Another show, another HOOK performance that more and more makes him feel like the next Goldberg. Best thing this week was QT saying, “and your dad just sits there laughing!” to which Taz replied with something, “yeah I do!” before cackling his arse off. Imagine Taz’s reaction at the desk when HOOK wins the TNT Title in the next few months! I can’t wait!

Hook is just ridiculous in how quick and real his getting over has felt. The crowd are cheering for his graphics on shows he isn’t on. He’s in a heel group, but tearing through faces and now heels. Never any backup with him for matches. Just can’t compare him to anyone, he’s just hook 

13 minutes ago, Louch said:

Hook is just ridiculous in how quick and real his getting over has felt. The crowd are cheering for his graphics on shows he isn’t on. He’s in a heel group, but tearing through faces and now heels. Never any backup with him for matches. Just can’t compare him to anyone, he’s just hook 

It’s interesting that he hasn’t appeared with the rest of Team Tazz at all recently, and now his first real feud appears to be with a heel. I wonder, rather than turn Hobbs and Starks face, if the conscious plan is to quietly distance him from them without actually saying that’s what’s happening? He’s brilliant regardless and, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but QT Marshall is an excellent choice for that first feud.

I was really surprised that they’d opted to air Anna Jay/Cargill on a live show, never mind in the main event; but that was a surprisingly good match. It even had me believing that Anna was going to win at various points. Jade’s obviously a work in progress, but star showings like this, regardless of how it was achieved, certainly have me intrigued as to how her reign will play out.

So TK saw my post about Hook and put Bryan in the spot? But seriously, that's going be to be a roasting hot feud.

Speaking of Hook, they've matched him up with perfect opponents so far and I can't remember better simple booking of a new star. Everything is just spot on with him.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Danielson played it beautifully. Shit eating grin and the slow clap. 

Nick Jackson only just made it over the top rope in that spot. Was Trent out of position or did he just misjudge it? I don't know whether the crowd was burned out after the Moxley match and presumably a Dark taping, but they weren't into the match early on, but they managed to bring them back. 

Hook is super over. All his stuff looks great, and the streamers stuck to Serpentico's foot while he's getting chucked all over the place was a great look. Be good when he gets his paws on QT Marshall. 

Anna Jay & Jade kept it nice and simple which I think is why the match worked well. I wonder whether Dustin laid out the match? Didn't he used to agent some of the women's matches in WWE? 

Good episode. Felt like Ethan Page got a bit too much in the opener, but as they said on commentary it was Moxley's first match back so he had to shake off the rust, and he got a plenty decisive win as well. 

They really need to get Jericho off commentary. The first thing he does on the show is remind us that he's a former world champion, and there was something he said after Starks had been talking about Jade Cargill liking green because she's all about the money and you could just hear how pissed off Taz was when he replied. He sounded like a grandad when he was on about the pompoms on Nick Jackson's pants as well. He's the worst thing about the show. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Nick Jackson has supposedly been suffering from long Covid. All things considered I thought he put on a great match. Other than that one dive you wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference.

I liked when Jericho started a sentence before even knowing what he was going to say, and Taz’s frustration with him was palpable.

”Anna Jay has purple eye shadow because…she….erm, likes purple.”

”It’s also the colour of Dark Order, Chris.”

“Oh yeah.”

Come on, Taz. Send Hook to kill him off.

Edited by Supremo

It says either Tony Schiavone is just THAT good, or Jericho is actually THAT shit without him. Go back and see those two doing those first pandemic Dynamite's. Superb form. But I think it was maybe a trick. Jericho is an awful announcer with anyone not Tony Schiavone. He commentates in promo voice, and clearly he doesn't respect Taz enough to listen, or thinks they're mates. Maybe because he's a face now too, Jericho's commentary really doesn't work. He should be getting the Cody reaction. He's just ALOT to take in with monster truck commentary. 

'Hook looks like he's been in a wind tunnel.' 

And? Proper stock Lawler bollocks that. Go get pissed and wank off on your missus twitter Chris. Does my head in on comms. 

I think everyone in the HOOK segment deserves massive credit. Serpentico made HOOK look great, QT is the perfect person to run through next. It just feels really exciting.

It’s one of the things that has been missing the last few months in AEW for me. Someone feeling they are moving up the card.

Jade vs Anna was good. Jade seems best when she does have to do the complicated move sequences and can just brawl with here opponents.

This show left me excited for the next few weeks

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

It says either Tony Schiavone is just THAT good, or Jericho is actually THAT shit without him. Go back and see those two doing those first pandemic Dynamite's. Superb form.

I’m not sure how to go back and check this, but I wonder how many of these shows were taped, rather than live?

• Paid Members

I’m more invested in Moxley than ever considering everything that’s happened. I loved him before. I love him even more now. What a man. Genuinely inspirational.

Forget about Mox feuding with Hangman for the title. I want Mox, Hangman and Kingston to form a faction of awesome lads who are open and honest about their issues and vulnerabilities. Get the trios titles on them and ride it to the moon. The antithesis of everything we’ve ever had in pro-wrestling, where even having a friend has been portrayed as a weakness, never mind suffering and overcoming anxiety, depression, self doubt or addiction. They’re the best. Between them they’ve dragged this business forward what feels like decades in the space of a few years.