AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

• Paid Members

Blake Li, who when I tried to look into who it was on Google gave me results for Blake Lively?

If the forbidden door huge superstar announcement is anything to do with the other free agent news it'll possibly be Keith Lee?

I'm hoping that they've not turned Josh Alexander's head and what Brandi said on Dynamite was just because he's renegotiating his contract with Impact at the moment. I don't see where he'd fit into an already crowded roster. He's a heck of a talent, but he'd be lost in the shuffle in AEW, whereas he stands out from the crowd in Impact. 

• Paid Members

Opener was a decent match. Good heel shenanigans from the Bucks. Nice to see Danhausen turn up again. I know the bigger picture is Bullet Club/CHAOS probably to build to the next New Japan show in the US, but to some of the more casual viewers it'll be another case of Jay White coming in, being touted as a massive star and going into a program with Best Friends. 

Danielson Vs Moriarty should be good. Moriarty wrestled RoH pure champion Josh Woods at the Terminus show last month and won in a good opener, so I'm expecting it'll be a decent match, albeit probably more like the ones Danielson had been having with Dark Order. 

Britt's match was good. Robyn Renegade got chance to shine. Nice teasing of Britt Vs Rosa and a possible Hayter/Martinez program as well at the end. 

Hook was brilliant, and looked like he was leading the match as well. 

Calling the Ass Boys undefeated when I remember them getting beat by Sting & Darby on Dynamite irked me. All it would have taken was somebody saying "in 2022" on commentary, but it just sounded like WWE-esque revisionist history.

Luchasaurus looked the best he's looked in a while chucking the much smaller Ass Boys around. This is how he should be presented. Jungle Boy getting the win with the Killswitch was a nice way of showing Christian's mentorship having its effect. This was Jurassic Express's best match as champions so far. 

Jericho was almost bearable this week. I wonder whether somebody's had words. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Calling the Ass Boys undefeated when I remember them getting beat by Sting & Darby on Dynamite irked me. All it would have taken was somebody saying "in 2022" on commentary, but it just sounded like WWE-esque revisionist history.

It was Colten & Billy. Austin was running around on the outside as the annoying mascot.

• Paid Members

Were they not still announced as the Gun Club though?  The announcers said the Gunn Club were undefeated, but I saw a team called the Gunn Club get beaten clean on my TV.

Again, all it takes for for the commentators to explain that Austin & Colten are undefeated. I know it's nitpicking about semantics, but it's also the kind of things people would rip on WWE for if it happened on one of their shows. 

• Paid Members

Like I said, it's a semantics thing, and likely to do with how I'm wired up. Everybody looked good in this match.

It felt like the match was really simple as well. A lot of the matches this week, apart from the opener felt like they weren't trying to be too fancy, and they were better matches than when the people in them try to do everything they possibly can and kick out of it then go to a finish.

The opener was between two teams who'd wrestled each other countless times and knew what they could do, so was bound to have had more going on, but it still felt like it was kept kind of basic and didn't have too many, if any, wild high spots. 

Could this difference be because they tape Dark when they're doing Rampage, so they have more input from producers and agents whereas on Dynamite they're just sent out there to do their thing? 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Could this difference be because they tape Dark when they're doing Rampage, so they have more input from producers and agents whereas on Dynamite they're just sent out there to do their thing? 

They tape on a Wednesday dark elevation/ dynamite/ rampage. Dunno why you think the main show would get no agents? 

• Paid Members

I'm not saying there'd be no agents, but that for Dynamite they'd be less hands on because the majority of those matches are between the more experienced members of the roster who can be relied on more to lay their own matches out.?

• Awards Moderator

HOOK is the best. Cocky, gorgeous hardcase. His mannerisms are superb but he’s got the in-ring stuff nailed. I can’t wait to see what they do with him.

I also love the fact that Jericho sold himself as a soft sod.

“That move put me out for two to three weeks!”

The recipient of said move was back in the ring and scrapping about 45 seconds later. Smashing self-burial.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

The crowd sweetning seemed super obvious on this show. I swear there were no "this is awesome" chants during the opening match? Yet I could hear that chant.

I have no issues with the crowd sweetening on Rampage, despite how obvious it is. Give me a sweetened crowd over a crowd that have just sat through Dynamite and can't be arsed, or even worse that horrible hmmmmmmmmmmmEEEEEEEEEE noise that has plagued Smackdown since 2002 that they're now putting over live shows as well.

Britt's full on fast forward material for me now, no idea how she's lost all the charm and wit she once had. It's not just the lacklustre booking and challengers to blame.

Hook is the fucking king of all wrestling right now.

Jericho saying the Bucks super kicks were stronger than HBK.. or so it sounded was funny.

The Ass Boys brought their A game, that match was far better than the opener.

Edit: my boy Jay is being lumped in with the Best Chumps angle? FFS. Get Danhausen the fuck away from that too, please.

Edited by Merzbow