AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

• Paid Members

Stonking episode. Fair play to this company. For as much as everything felt a bit shit and all over the place at the start of the year, the way they’ve focussed and peaked right before the big show is something to behold. When it’s live, has a hot crowd, and replicates that fast, crazy Dynamite energy, Rampage might be my favourite show. The hour flies by, hit after hit, in and out, no filler. Bosh. Brilliant.

Belting opener. No idea why this wasn’t on the pay per view. They must have something up their sleeve for Sunday, surely?

I think I prefer Keith Lee doing more power stuff and less of the high flying. And I know people rag on his weight but fuck that. Have another donut, Keith. Just make him AEW’s chubby version of Brock. Tonnes of fun.

Paige Vanzant coming in, without Brandi ruining it! Result!

Imagine being Cesaro. What a slap in the face. You finish up with WWE, you don’t have a no compete, you can appear anywhere, whenever you want, and then AEW bring in Eric fucking Rowen instead! Bizarre choice.

Fun main event with a nice, tight angle at the end. Loved Kyle O’Rielly stealing the belt and then celebrating like that made him the new champion, immediately doing the air guitar. Daft, idiot heel Kyle is the best Kyle. Let’s just pretend Kool Kyle never happened.

Highlight of the show was obviously the Punk promo though. Fucking incredible. I can’t say enough good things about this run. After years and years of being told to, “let it play out,” only for everything to always fizzle into abject disappointment, CM Punk has finally done what all the dickheads couldn’t. He delivered. It played out. He told the story,  and stuck the landing.

The happy, smiley guy doing stage dives and shaking hands, happy to be here yet struggling to beat your QT Marshalls and Bobby Fishes? He eventually got pushed to his limit, the old CM Punk was pulled out of him, and now he’s screaming into the camera, covered in blood, smacking himself in the head, ready to kill a motherfucker.

2EF8F48F-2CB8-495E-A0BF-9D9673E5A2E6.thumb.jpeg.39952f0d616cdc731a5300614f500188.jpeg

What an arc. Absolute magic. One of the best feuds of all time. They’ve lost their minds if they headline with Adam Cole over this.

I don't mind a blood feud going on second or even third to last. I think Bret Vs. Austin made that a proper position. It can feel like the dirty, unsanctioned, "Only pride on the line" spot that the office would be shitting it too much to give the main event spot to. 

• Awards Moderator

Redbeard with PAC and Penta seems an odd choice, but I wouldn’t be opposed to him sticking around in a minor role somewhere. He’d fit in nicely with Dark Order and give them something a bit different to get stuck into - I can see them all gathered round with Erick looming behind, twice as tall as any of the rest of them. If Danielson’s going to keep heeling it up, I’d be okay with him getting Redbeard as his bodyguard again. As much as AEW is full, I can see a spot for Erick more than a Buddy Matthews or Tony Nese or Jay Lethal.

• Paid Members

Starks talking about how he's looking forward to winning the face of the revolution ladder match as two people who've not really done anything to earn a shot are competing for the TNT title? And then we find out Scorpio Sky gets a shot before the winner of the ladder match? Again I ask, why qualify for a ladder match to win a shot at a title with an open challenge stipulation? Give them a world title shot and put the guys from your top 5 rankings who aren't wrestling for the title at the PPV in the match instead. 

The match was itself was hectic. Everybody got their stuff in at breakneck speed. Jericho's never seen a tower of doom spot before? Andrade somehow knew during his moonsault that Sammy had moved, but also knew that he'd only rolled far enough that he could get that extra standing moonsault in? "Look at him get Andrade in the face" as the replay shows him hitting Andrade's arms. Impressive athleticism, but sometimes it can't help but look stagey and take you out of the match. 

Can they co-exist? 

The Death bi-angle/House Of Black segment was interesting. Presumably Eric's there as a favour to Brodie Lee. Beating the security lads up is starting to get a bit tired now. 

Keith Lee looked like he was doing better in this match than during his debut. Whether he's in better health than he was when he turned up or is just working at a pace where he feels more comfortable I don't know. Nice little hoss match, and JD Drake is impressive.

There was an advert for AEW Dynamite during the picture in picture, which I found odd as you'd think the commentators would promote Dynamite during Rampage. 

Punk's promo was brilliant. That dog collar match HAS to go on last. Nothing else on the card has had the same build as this one. 

I didn't see that coming after the Serena Deeb match. Stick it on the PPV. 

Eddie's promo was good. 

Hopefully Jade Cargill & Tay Conti keep things simple 

Wasn't Christian Cage Vs Ethan Page a return match from Christian's AEW debut? I didn't even realise the match started in the picture in picture. Why not do the entrances during the break and come back just as the match is about to start? 

My guess is the tag champs manage to steal the win due to the breakdown in communication between ReDragon and the Bucks, but it won't be important because the match is all about that program.

Managed to get some focus on some of the other matches on what's looking like a stacked card on Sunday. 

20 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Keith Lee looked like he was doing better in this match than during his debut. Whether he's in better health than he was when he turned up or is just working at a pace where he feels more comfortable I don't know. Nice little hoss match, and JD Drake is impressive.

Came on to say the opposite, thought the drop off was massive from his debut. Lumbering about and looking like he was struggling. 

This is by no means a criticism, but I think that’s the first pure wrestling promo CM Punk has cut since before the Pipe Bomb.

Theres always been this hint that you had to have elements of Punk that were ‘breaking the fourth wall’, either as a heel railing against real world gripes or as a face figuratively winking to the audience. 

To be fair to him, he’s always nailed it (well, nearly always) but it was so good to see him in full pro-wrestling mode. It was absolutely superb.

To have Punk and Danielson in the same company on this form is something to behold. 

I’d love to see Punk have a run with Page after MJF. Just going through the home grown talent and elevating them like he has Max.

I enjoyed the show, all in all.

Jericho still does everything he can to undermine Sammy on comms, but the triple threat was superb.

I wasn’t huge On the Keith Lee match. I think he should still be just lobbing littl’uns about. Him struggling to lift Mononi up 3 days after Wardlow chucked him about wasn’t great, either.

Alex/Penta’s new look is a little bit embarrassing. I’ve also got my sceptical hippo eyes out about this feud. If it becomes a brutal, scrappy feud where they’re fighting all the time and Alex starts talking about ‘there’s only one man who can sort this’, or ‘one King to save them all’ or some shit, I’ll have my Bray Wyatt bullshit sensor out. This feud utterly STINKS of him.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

So glad to see SHIDA back. She's fantastic, such a likeable pure babyface and the best Women's Champion they've had by a significant margin.

After a strong start Malakai Black has quickly into Bray Wyatt bullshit territory. Just meandering spooky nonsense. Also he's better as a singles, adding extra guys (so quickly no less) has really diluted his act. Penta needs to go back to cocky smug bastard and not get sucked into this corny shite.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Louch said:

Came on to say the opposite, thought the drop off was massive from his debut. Lumbering about and looking like he was struggling. 

It was going to be a different match because he's wrestling a bigger guy. I think JD Drake got a little bit too much, but there were some impressive displays of power from Keith Lee. He definitely feels more suited to a slow, deliberate pace with some explosive bursts of speed. 

51 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

After a strong start Malakai Black has quickly into Bray Wyatt bullshit territory. Just meandering spooky nonsense. Also he's better as a singles, adding extra guys (so quickly no less) has really diluted his act. Penta needs to go back to cocky smug bastard and not get sucked into this corny shite.

Agreed. Considering the talent involved, its probably one of the most disappointing things in AEW for me recently.