The Tony Khan Is A Twat Thread

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

How am I supposed to know you're autistic? 

And yes, I have conversed with many autistic people actually, thanks. Don't think any of them post on wrestling forums though.

The reason this is such a good joke, whether you meant it or not, is because many autistic people wouldn't get it. And I, as someone who might be (questionnaire just got posted), am not sure if it is one. 

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

How am I supposed to know you're autistic? 

And yes, I have conversed with many autistic people actually, thanks. Don't think any of them post on wrestling forums though.

I'm sorry. I'll put a disclaimer up next time. I guarantee many autistic people post on all forms of social media, including wrestling forums. We're allowed to vote too. 

Getting back to Tony, I wish social media was around in the 90s. Can you imagine Herb Abrams on Twitter? It'd be phenomenal. I don't know why Tony Khan made me think of Herb Abrams.....

12 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

as someone who might be (questionnaire just got posted), am not sure if it is one. 

Best of luck with your assessment, hope you get answers and support. And also glad to hear you got diagnosed, Scorch, hope you are able to get support. As a partner of someone who was diagnosed in their adulthood, support is few and far between so I hope it’s better in your medical authorities neck of the woods!

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And he’s white and I honestly believe that’s a huge factor for certain wrestling fans. 

Yes and no. He's also very light-skinned, which means many might consider him "passing" or "white-adjacent" - this can allow a lot of subconscious racists to get past that barrier.

As I type, something occurs to me: unlike the previous "Big Two" era, when the WWF was considered "northern" and wCw was considered "southern", both WWE and AEW could both be considered "northern" in identity, both in terms of their owners, but also in terms of their treatment of certain topics and issues. With regard to LGBT+ issues, AEW has certainly planted its flag, and WWE nowadays seems to have done the same. I can't imagine any major southern promotion ever doing something like that, even now - having not watched TNA/Impact for some time, if someone could provide info, that would be great.

I would venture to guess that the difference in culture between the north and the south might be a barrier to AEW getting more fans - WWE are so monolithic and ubiquitous now, they've most certainly swept up the vast majority of southern fans they're ever likely to get, but the Evangelical- and Unreconstructed-driven racism, xenophobia, and homophobia of the southern US (particularly now) would, I would venture to guess, be a major reason why southerners might not tune in to watch a promotion visibly run by an Asiatic "Yankee" with the surname "Khan" (I am aware of Nick Khan, hence the "visibly"), and who prominently feature gimmicks like Sonny Kiss or run angles centred on someone coming out, like Anthony Bowens.

27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The reason this is such a good joke, whether you meant it or not, is because many autistic people wouldn't get it. And I, as someone who might be (questionnaire just got posted), am not sure if it is one. 

We've got to get one of those questionnaires on to d-d-d "Chris rhymes with Piss?" dAz.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I can't imagine any major southern promotion ever doing something like that, even now - having not watched TNA/Impact for some time, if someone could provide info, that would be great.

Sonny Kiss had two matches with Impact, but in that time was treated as a genuinely gender-fluid talent far more than they were in AEW, doing spots with Bully Ray in a Battle Royal, but then working a singles match with Jordynne Grace. TNA also have at least one trans wrestler who was very much supported and celebrated when she came out as trans while working there. But they're also largely owned by a Canadian company now, so I don't thing they can be considered a "Southern promotion" any more.

I think things have moved on somewhat in that respect in a lot of ways; after the shooting at Pulse in Orlando, a gay friend of mine said that he was watching UFC and they put up a rainbow flag ribbon in tribute at the start of the show, and it made him reflect on how unthinkable that would have been just a few years earlier, to have a company like UFC expressing solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community, even if it was only done for corporate optics purposes. 

AEW don't really make that much noise about being a progressive company any more, and are based in Florida and regularly mine WCW/Jim Crockett Promotions nostalgia, and have Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross on commentary; I'd argue they're plenty Southern in identity at times. If they're not appealing to Southern fans (and I can't be bothered checking ticket sales to see where in the country they do better or worse) it's largely because that was an audience that dried up when WCW closed and they lost their habit viewing, and that takes a long time to instill.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Elmo Hello GIF by Sesame Street

You converse with more autistic people on here than you realize because people either mention it rarely or never openly discuss it.

Cool. I don't expect them to. But for clarity I was referring to the people with autism I've met in real life. 

Edited by LaGoosh

This North South discussion definitely deserves its own thread @Chest Rockwell!

I'd argue the only wrestlering company with any "southern rasslin" bones left is the NWA.  Everything about it, from the obvious nostalgia visual identity, to the booking, match styles, audience, is straight out of the southern territories.

That was a massive breath of fresh air when it started, and honestly everything up to Trevor Murdoch's run to the NWA Heavyweight Championship was great.  But the last few times I've watched it, it's felt a little TOO southern in terms of being a bit icky if you know what I mean.  Cornette got canned for his fried chicken joke but that feeling still pervades on the show.

• 3 weeks later...

I've read countless pages of debate in this thread and more side discussions than I care to count, yet I'm none the wiser about the most pressing issue.

Who is least repugnant? Tony or Vince? WWE or AEW? To whom should I pledge my tribalistic allegiances in future pointless online debates?

Let's keep it on point lads, eh?