Videogames you wish you played when they were released

RedRooster

• Paid Members

Keeping things on-brand, but No Mercy on N64.

I didn’t have a N64 (was firmly PlayStation from launch) so don’t think I’ve ever played No Mercy. So when it’s touted as the “pinnacle” of wrestling video games, I just have no frame of reference of what is actually so good about it or why it is touted as the be-all and end-all when it comes to wrestling gameplay.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I find that Mario 64 still stands up well today, for an earlier 3D game it's still easy to pick up and play and even handles better than some current platformers.

I play it at least once a year. It's one of the greatest games of all time. Aside from the occasional camera view issue it's incredibly replayable and non-linear. Goldeneye also stands up equally so, contrary to unpopular opinion.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I'm that one heathen that preferred the 64 version of Duke Nukem to Goldeneye..

Even being censored I'm surprised it was released.

I preferred Perfect Dark to Goldeneye. My memories of Goldeneye revolve around my older cousin going Oddjob each time in multiplayer "because it's his game" and me being unable to ever kill him. It soured me on the damn thing before I even got round to owning it myself. 

1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

Keeping things on-brand, but No Mercy on N64.

I didn’t have a N64 (was firmly PlayStation from launch) so don’t think I’ve ever played No Mercy. So when it’s touted as the “pinnacle” of wrestling video games, I just have no frame of reference of what is actually so good about it or why it is touted as the be-all and end-all when it comes to wrestling gameplay.

I think it's hard to appreciate it out of context too.

Up until that point, WCW were way ahead of WWF in terms of games quality, purely through having AKI at the helm. Their engine was just spot-on for that middle ground between brawler and techy, with proper chunky sprites and weighty physics, whereas WWF were still limping out of the motion-capture Mortal Kombat 2D era with rubber-man efforts like Warzone and Attitude. The early Smackdown games were solid enough gameplay-wise, but still had that textured inflatable-tube-man look and super-grainy visuals especially when they started doing too much with crowd cameras flashes. WWF Wrestlemania 2000 was WCW/NWO Revenge with a WWF roster (no bad thing), and No Mercy was where it reached final form - a perfect mix of arguably their peak roster, the AKI engine hitting top speed, and us hitting the age where dodgy offies were selling us crates.

I've been replaying them since I got an off-the-shelf emulation console, and I have to say I actually prefer Wrestlemania 2000. It's slower, and the arena presentation is a bit shonky, but the brighter palette means that it kind of fits nicely across all eras of WWF/E. You can create anyone from any promotion or era and they look like they fit. Not only that but the caricatres actually look like their real-life counterparts - I don't know who was in charge of the face images on No Mercy but they've got this weird blurry look and sunken eyes. Still, Bradshaw's standing Clothesline from Hell looks and sounds murderous, and the knockout animations are still hilarious.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I preferred Perfect Dark to Goldeneye. My memories of Goldeneye revolve around my older cousin going Oddjob each time in multiplayer "because it's his game" and me being unable to ever kill him. It soured me on the damn thing before I even got round to owning it myself. 

Oddjob and Moonraker Elite II were banned for multiplayer round our way, it just ruins it for everyone so why bother? 4 player “licence to kill” mode was where it was at. Top stuff.

I don’t think I finished Mario 64 with all 120 stars until about 2009. I got to 119 on the cart my brother had but never got that last one. Think it was 100 coins on tik tok clock. Bastard level. 

I don’t think I played Sonic, beyond a few goes on Green Hill zone, until well into the 2000’s. Would have loved to have been in on the ground floor with that one. 

• Paid Members

Not a game per-se, but the Neo Geo console for me.

At the time it seemed to be some mythical game console that no one I knew had, and no shops seemed to stock it, only something I saw on Gamesmaster or in game magazines.

But the graphics were arcade quality and revolutionary for home gameplay (albeit a very pretty price-tag and extortionate games, didn't they cost £150 each?!).

In the early 90's I also remember seeing an advert for WWF Rage in the Cage on the Sega Mega CD and blown away by the fact it had full motion video. Now years later I downloaded a rom and obviously the quality was shocking and was nothing more than a Super Wrestlemania/Royal Rumble port, but back in 1993 I'd have given anything for that console (which turned out to be a massive flop).

7 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I hate Goldeneye, but love Timesplitters2, which is effectively an updated version of the same game, go figure. 

N64 didnt do anything for me, hated Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and the Zelda titles, and the controller was problematic. FZero X was great, but as a console, N64 was a no, from me. 

Gamecube however, loved to bits 

Never figured out why there's so much love for the N64:/

• Paid Members

No denying the N64 has a classic library but that controller is an abomination. It was designed with Zelda and Mario in mind and works beautifully for them but the rest of the library can be a chore to play it with. It's also a bugger to map onto a proper controller when emulating.