Videogames you wish you played when they were released

RedRooster

I recently played Shenmue for the first time, and I found it virtually impossible to enjoy. It feels so dated. However, I can absolutely imagine being blown away by this game if I'd had the fortune of playing it when it was released. 

That leads me to my question - which videogames do you wish you'd been able to play when they were released?

Perhaps they're games that feel dated now (such as Shenmue), or games that don't feel quite as magical as they would have, had you been nostalgic for them, or even games you'd like to have experienced the buzz for when they first game out, even though they've aged relatively well. 

32 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I recently played Shenmue for the first time, and I found it virtually impossible to enjoy. It feels so dated. However, I can absolutely imagine being blown away by this game if I'd had the fortune of playing it when it was released. 

That leads me to my question - which videogames do you wish you'd been able to play when they were released?

Perhaps they're games that feel dated now (such as Shenmue), or games that don't feel quite as magical as they would have, had you been nostalgic for them, or even games you'd like to have experienced the buzz for when they first game out, even though they've aged relatively well. 

Great Idea for a thread. 

I intensely dislike Shenmue and always have, because it's so dull and unskippable cutscenemageddon. It's just not for me. 

I've just started playing the Fall Out Series of games starting with 3 and have totally missed that whole thing. The missus played 4 to death when she had it and guess I got sucked in by it when she had a PS4. 

What an expansive series of games with choices to be good or evil. 

The Yakuza games, got Kiwami free with PS Plus about 2 years ago and decided to give it a go and fell in love instantly, so much so I bought Kiwami 2 and 0 as soon as I finished it.

Then the remastered series was announced so I decided to wait and bought it on release day along with 6.

All future games from the series are day one purchases for me now.

I picked up Persona 5 Royal earlier this year too and wish I bought it so much earlier, really enjoyed it. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

The Yakuza games, got Kiwami free with PS Plus about 2 years ago and decided to give it a go and fell in love instantly, so much so I bought Kiwami 2 and 0 as soon as I finished it.

Then the remastered series was announced so I decided to wait and bought it on release day along with 6.

I picked up Persona 5 Royal earlier this year too and wish I bought it so much earlier, really enjoyed it. 

I just finished Yakuza Like a Dragon and got every achievement except True Final Dungeon because balls to that.

Edit: just to add 0 was my first and I’ve loved them all up to 4 which I got bored of fast. My friend told me not to bother with 5 so I never. My Yakuza Code is:

0, LaD, K2, 6, K1, 3, 4, 5.

Playing them chronologically is a bizarre experience because 0 is rammed with content but then K1 is barebones. K2 is the best looking out of all of them but lacks substance too. 3 looks gens behind but then 4 looks way better but not as good as 0, 1 or 2. The series rarely has a graphics to content correlation.

One thing’s for certain though i’m scary good at Outrun now.

Edited by FelatioLips

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I actually owned the original PS2 game back in the day and it was janky as fuck. 

Looking forward to the new Judgment game, though apparently the main VA's agency is playing up meaning it may be the last game in the spinoff series.

Back on topic. 

Wish I played WoW when it first released, by the time I gave it a try I found it too intimidating to really get into. 

5 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Looking forward to the new Judgment game, though apparently the main VA's agency is playing up meaning it may be the last game in the spinoff series.

Yea I’ll be buying it day one, was going to pre order this week but I think I’ll wait until the start of release week, never know with Sega delaying games.

• Awards Moderator

I would have loved to have played Knights of the Old Republic when it came out. I downloaded the iPad version a few years ago - it may have been my terrible gaming skills or it may have been that the game didn’t really work on a touchscreen, but never got past the first level.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I would have loved to have played Knights of the Old Republic when it came out. I downloaded the iPad version a few years ago - it may have been my terrible gaming skills or it may have been that the game didn’t really work on a touchscreen, but never got past the first level.

On the same note I'm glad I grew up playing the proper Sonic 2 on Mega Drive because I downloaded the Iphone version to skive at work the other day and it's wall to wall adverts, including in between every act. Always has to be connected to the internet too. Infuriating.

Just now, HarmonicGenerator said:

Did you pause a lot?

It's a trick often not used on first playthroughs, play it like a semi-turn based tactical RPG. It's how a lot of older western RPG's are kind of meant to be played, Baldur's Gate etc.

To this day I’m gutted I never played Red Dead Redemption. I slept a bit on the 360/PS3 generation despite owning two 360’s. I’ve gone back to it on PS Now but it wasn’t running to clever and off the back of RDR2 it was a bit of a step down. Remake it you bastards!

3 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I just finished Yakuza Like a Dragon and got every achievement except True Final Dungeon because balls to that.

Edit: just to add 0 was my first and I’ve loved them all up to 4 which I got bored of fast. My friend told me not to bother with 5 so I never. My Yakuza Code is:

0, LaD, K2, 6, K1, 3, 4, 5.

Playing them chronologically is a bizarre experience because 0 is rammed with content but then K1 is barebones. K2 is the best looking out of all of them but lacks substance too. 3 looks gens behind but then 4 looks way better but not as good as 0, 1 or 2. The series rarely has a graphics to content correlation.

One thing’s for certain though i’m scary good at Outrun now.

I'm playing through 5 right now. Its up there with 0 and K2 in my eyes. Its the 0 engine too, so plays and runs far better than the 3 and 4 remasters. Its alot of peoples favourite in the whole series, so no idea what your mate was doing telling you to skip it.

• Paid Members

Donkey Kong Country, because I might have had the dexterity to be able to get somewhere at it back then, especially at 50fps on PAL televisions.