Videogames you wish you played when they were released

RedRooster

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Donkey Kong Country, because I might have had the dexterity to be able to get somewhere at it back then, especially at 50fps on PAL televisions. 

Mine Cart Madness was still a massive pain in the arse, I'm here to report.

13 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I would have loved to have played Knights of the Old Republic when it came out. I downloaded the iPad version a few years ago - it may have been my terrible gaming skills or it may have been that the game didn’t really work on a touchscreen, but never got past the first level.

I had exactly the same experience, although I tried to play it on Steam. I just couldn't get along with it, as much as I wanted to. I suspect I'd have felt differently had I played it when it came out. 

Another one that comes to mind for me is Final Fantasy VII, although the distance between its release and when I played it was relatively short - Final Fantasy VIII hadn't even come out. However, because I waited before buying it, I found out about the big plot development at the end of disc 1. Most of you will know what I'm referring to, but I won't spoil it for those who don't. I'd love to have experienced that blind. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I had exactly the same experience, although I tried to play it on Steam. I just couldn't get along with it, as much as I wanted to. I suspect I'd have felt differently had I played it when it came out. 

Another one that comes to mind for me is Final Fantasy VII, although the distance between its release and when I played it was relatively short - Final Fantasy VIII hadn't even come out. However, because I waited before buying it, I found out about the big plot development at the end of disc 1. Most of you will know what I'm referring to, but I won't spoil it for those who don't. I'd love to have experienced that blind. 

Yeah, I had the same experience with the first Dragon Age game. It was the weird, psuedo turn based combat I didn't get on with. It looks like a heck of a story, but I'd rather be doing the fighting as actual fighting like in Fable or Mass Effect. Presumably they weren't sure they could do good lightsabre combat so played it safe.

On 8/31/2021 at 10:33 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

FIFA 99. I moved to Pro Evo 64 in 1999 and I always wonder what that years FIFA was like compared to the banging Road to World Cup 98

I had it on the PC. Absolute soggy dick of a game, prescriptive and boring. Not even Chris Waddle on co-commo (occasionally) saves it. 

Of course, the answer you’re all looking for is Freespace 2. 

I'd read some of the buzz around the Monkey Island games back in the day, but didn't get around to exploring them in more detail until decades later.

Was in a bit of a lapse between consoles when Super Mario Sunshine released too. The 3D All-Stars re-release was only a timed exclusive and I don't have a Switch yet either so I suppose I'm going to keep on missing out on playing that one via legitimate means for the foreseeable future. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, JohnKringler said:

God those games were a bit shit, weren't they? I remember the reboot using a parody of a Grease song

I'm surprised that Codemasters have the rights to "Leisure Suit Larry" now. Standards slipped much over there now?

22 minutes ago, JohnKringler said:

They'll never release another which is good. Its not because its offensive but its just shit, The satire is lame

There were Leisure Suit Larry games released last year and this year. The series isn’t dead, just shit.