Videogames you wish you played when they were released

RedRooster

• Paid Members

Super Mario Bros 1, 2 & 3.

My first run of Mario was Super Mario World on SNES and I think that spoilt me to enjoy the first 3 like people did at the time.

That said I did sink hours into 6 gold coins, but I'd say that's a bit more like SMW than Bros.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Who the fuck is reviewing Leisure Suit Larry in 2021 that high?

Looking through the original games and they were getting 8's and 9's back in the day, I'm half tempted to try one.

Never was a "Leisure Suit Larry 4" according to Wikipedia. Some type of " marketing gimmick" when the Fifth one came out. "Where the fick is the fourth one?" . Most people think that the missing 4th one was so bad they just canned it.

• Paid Members

Got to be Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo in the arcade for me. Hyper Fighting blew my mind the first time and I bought the SNES versions of SF2, Turbo and Super, but SSF2T was my white whale. I experienced Super Combos and all the other tweaks and additions in the Alpha series and other games but it wasn’t until the Anniversary disc on PS2 (sort of) then playing FightCade 20 years later that I finally played the game proper. A year or so ago I downloaded HD Remix for the PS3 and I play it regularly. Being unable to play original colours for the characters is the only thing I dislike on the original, but I still wish I’d played it coin op.

• Moderators

Golden Eye for me. I would have liked to play that during the hype, obviously it's shit now.

Also some other Nintendo classics as I had a megadrive so there's some games I got to play a bit at mates' houses and really liked, but never got to proper sit and complete them. Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario 3 spring to mind as good examples.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Got to be Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo in the arcade for me. Hyper Fighting blew my mind the first time and I bought the SNES versions of SF2, Turbo and Super, but SSF2T was my white whale. I experienced Super Combos and all the other tweaks and additions in the Alpha series and other games but it wasn’t until the Anniversary disc on PS2 (sort of) then playing FightCade 20 years later that I finally played the game proper. A year or so ago I downloaded HD Remix for the PS3 and I play it regularly. Being unable to play original colours for the characters is the only thing I dislike on the original, but I still wish I’d played it coin op.

The AI on the coin op is brutal. They had it in the arcade near the college I dropped out of after I finished secondary school. It was fun to play against other people, but the AI was so cheap it made the Mortal Kombat 3 AI seem fair. Interestingly they must have toned it right back for Alpha 2 because the first time I played that in an arcade I managed to 1cc it. 

11 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The AI on the coin op is brutal. They had it in the arcade near the college I dropped out of after I finished secondary school. It was fun to play against other people, but the AI was so cheap it made the Mortal Kombat 3 AI seem fair. Interestingly they must have toned it right back for Alpha 2 because the first time I played that in an arcade I managed to 1cc it. 

The difficulty may be something to do with whoever set up the cabinet, you can change things like that through the DIP switch.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Golden Eye for me. I would have liked to play that during the hype, obviously it's shit now.

Just casually dropping that in there and thinking nobody would notice. I saw it!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

The difficulty may be something to do with whoever set up the cabinet, you can change things like that through the DIP switch.

I remember reading reviews of the 30th anniversary collection when it came out a couple of years ago saying that because the titles included in the collection are from the original arcade ROMs there are some bugs and issues. One of the ones mentioned is that the first revision of Super Turbo has brutal AI whatever difficulty it's on. I hear later versions are a little more forgiving, but some of the Street Fighter AI is evil because it ignores the actual rules of the game. There are videos about this. It ignores startup/recovery frames, adjusts move priority, instant dizzy recovery, no charging so you get things like walk forward flash kicks from Guile and things. It's not quite input reading, but it recognises the player's state every couple of frames and does what it thinks it needs to do to counteract that state. It can be manipulated, and there is a video out there of Daigo managing to finish the whole game (including the Akuma fight) without losing a round. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

This but also extended to other N64 mainstays such as Mario 64, No Mercy, Banjo-Kazooie and both Zelda games. I never had an N64 growing, so when I started playing around with emulators years later I just couldn't get into them. I've even tried the remastered versions on other Nintendo consoles, but I usually give up within an hour. It's passed me by, and the only N64 game that I really enjoy is Mario Kart.

Similarly, ALL Zelda games have passed me by too. I could never get along with the genre or the setting or the characters. I've tried a bunch of them, old and new on a variety of different platforms, and they just do nothing for me. I think it's to do with not getting into them early on, like during their SNES and N64 forays.