Paid Members gmoney Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 Old bands not playing anything from the new album is usually a relief. Quote
Merzbow Posted March 11, 2025 Posted March 11, 2025 (edited) Legacy bands playing old songs is pretty much the thing right now, especially nu-metal and bands of that era when nostalgia is peaking with the 30's and 40's. Playing entire fan fav albums in full, too. Edited March 11, 2025 by Merzbow Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 4 minutes ago, Merzbow said: Playing entire fan fav albums in full, too. I'm a bit torn on this, because while it's fun, I like not knowing what's coming up next. They Might Be Giants did it best for me. They played all of their album Flood in a random order and interspersed with other songs. Best of both worlds. Quote
Merzbow Posted March 11, 2025 Posted March 11, 2025 Yeah I get you, when I last saw Charli XCX she did all the big bangers mixed throughout the album tracks, I've never seen a room go so feral before when she started Vroom Vroom. Quote
cobra_gordo Posted March 11, 2025 Posted March 11, 2025 Took my son to see Liam Gallagher performing Definitely Maybe last year and they played the album in full but not in order. The good bit was filling the set with some era-appropriate b-sides. It worked really well and built up to an encore of Supersonic, Slide Away and Live Forever which was worth the cost of a ticket itself. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 We had the absolute pleasure of seeing Alan Menken performing tunes from his playbook in the London Palladium at the weekend. He invited the audience into his "office" as he spoke about the writing process, projects he'd worked on, his life growing up and obviously a lot about Howard Ashman (check out the "Howard" documentary on Disney+). Straight up one of the greatest experiences of my life as I heard the soundtrack to my childhood playing out as he tinkled the ivories. 38 mermaid fins up. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 11, 2025 Members Posted March 11, 2025 34 minutes ago, gmoney said: They played all of their album Flood in a random order and interspersed with other songs. Best of both worlds. I don't know if I like this, as I like things in order and don't like listening to/watching things out of sequence, but I accept that's just me of course. Ideally a band for me would play some other songs first, then the album in full, then some other songs in encore if they were doing a full album gig. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted March 11, 2025 Posted March 11, 2025 41 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Ideally a band for me would play some other songs first, then the album in full, then some other songs in encore if they were doing a full album gig. That's how I'd like it too. Those songs were put in that order for a reason. It's like listening to an entire album on shuffle! Proper wrong 'un behaviour. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 I'd argue that curating it differently with the rest of your back catalogue is achieving a higher state of consciousness (wink). Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 If somebody asked me what my dream gig would be, one of my answers would probably be 'Counting Crows with Gaslight Anthem as support.' I expected it to be US-only, but no, UK too! Very much looking forwards to that. Quote
Panhead Posted March 11, 2025 Posted March 11, 2025 (edited) 6 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said: If somebody asked me what my dream gig would be, one of my answers would probably be 'Counting Crows with Gaslight Anthem as support.' I expected it to be US-only, but no, UK too! Very much looking forwards to that. Any info on the pre-sale access, please? Never mind, sorted it! Going to the Leeds show! Edited March 11, 2025 by Panhead Quote
Paid Members Daaaaaad! Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 8 hours ago, wordsfromlee said: It's like listening to an entire album on shuffle! Proper wrong 'un behaviour. For some really weirdo behaviour - Bloc Party did a 'Silent Alarm in full' tour a couple of years back which I went to. They played the whole thing in order -backwards! Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted March 12, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 12, 2025 to be fair, at those TMBG gigs they also play one of their songs backwards before intermission, then play a recording of it reversed at the start of the second half. Quote
Paid Members Dead Mike Posted March 12, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 12, 2025 On 3/11/2025 at 1:58 PM, Lorne Malvo said: If somebody asked me what my dream gig would be, one of my answers would probably be 'Counting Crows with Gaslight Anthem as support.' I expected it to be US-only, but no, UK too! Very much looking forwards to that. Got tickets for Manchester. Pretty sure TGA aren't supporting in the UK though. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted March 12, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 12, 2025 4 minutes ago, Dead Mike said: Got tickets for Manchester. Pretty sure TGA aren't supporting in the UK though. Ah, that's a bugger. I've just had a look at a Gaslight fanpage I'm on on Facebook and it seems there was some confusion with the initial graphic not really confirming it or not. But yeah, it now says Gaslight are supporting in the US only. Gutted! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.