Ironic Indie Lad Posted February 19, 2025 Posted February 19, 2025 Went to see Pantera* last night at the Hydro in Glasgow. First time seeing them* as last time they played Glasgow was at the Barrowlands in 2000 on Reinventing the Steel. That show well known among local metalheads for Phil Anselmo being a mess, barely singing, just sitting on the stage etc. I think this was the height of his back pain and drug issues. I wasn't there and was only about 12 but I've heard loads of people say how shit it was over the years. I was supposed to see them on the ill fated 'Tattoo the Planet' co-headline with Slayer that got cancelled following 9/11. Place was pretty busy. The 300 level seats were curtained off but probably 85% of the 200 seats were full and the floor was packed. Surprising as I was sceptical that they would have the drawing power to support a full UK arena tour at pretty high prices (my standing ticket was £100+) Missed King Parrot. Got in and got a good spot for Power Trip. Nightmare Logic is one of my favourite metal records of the last 15 years or so. Havant really followed what's gone on with them since Riley died so this was my first time seeing or hearing the new frontman. He did a good job and they played a really good set only slightly ruined by a complete bell next to me who just kept smugly saying how their songs sound like old Metallica songs. Genius intellect at work there, fast downpicking thrash riffs remind you of 80s Metallica?! Wow! Hadn't noticed that before. Pantera on next and rattled through A New Level, Mouth for War, Strength Beyond Strength, Becoming and I'm Broken. Quite frankly ridiculous run of songs. Sounded huge and Charlie Benante and Zakk Wylde were perfect. Phil sounded probably the best he has since at least the 3rd Down record. He does a fair amount of the Ozzy / Halford "you sing it" gimmick as I don't think he truly has the stamina to go full blast for entire songs. That's probably the only criticism I have though. A lovely time overall. * I know its not the real Pantera, I know Phil is a stupid prick to put it mildly. I'm pushing 40 and have been listening to Pantera for most of my life. Me and my idiot friends have been quoting Phils between song banter from the live record for decades. I am personally willing to block some shit out for the sake of seeing the closest thing I am going to get to a Pantera show in 2025. Totally understand anyone who isnt willing to support a Pantera tour without Vinnie Paul or Dimebag or just isnt willing to support any Anselmo related stuff. Quote
CTXRussomark Posted February 19, 2025 Posted February 19, 2025 I was at the Hydro show last night as well, and despite not really being a Pantera fan (the other half is a big fan and was super excited to see them again after seeing them at Download last year) and only knowing 3 or 4 songs, I really enjoyed myself. Thought the sound was fantastic - super heavy but still sharp enough to hear everyone individually, and Phils vocals were great all things considered. I wouldn't rush back to see them again on my own, but equally I wouldn't actively avoid them in a festival setting. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted February 19, 2025 Posted February 19, 2025 51 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said: * I know it’s not the real Pantera, I know Phil is a stupid prick to put it mildly. I'm pushing 40 and have been listening to Pantera for most of my life. Me and my idiot friends have been quoting Phils between song banter from the live record for decades. I am personally willing to block some shit out for the sake of seeing the closest thing I am going to get to a Pantera show in 2025. Totally understand anyone who isnt willing to support a Pantera tour without Vinnie Paul or Dimebag or just isnt willing to support any Anselmo related stuff. Mate, you don’t need to justify yourself to anyone. If everyone stopped going to see projects by people who’ve got some something sketchy about them we’d hardly be seeing much anymore. If you choose to go and watch Pantera knowing Phil’s past, that’s your choice Quote
Ironic Indie Lad Posted February 19, 2025 Posted February 19, 2025 20 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said: Mate, you don’t need to justify yourself to anyone. If everyone stopped going to see projects by people who’ve got some something sketchy about them we’d hardly be seeing much anymore. If you choose to go and watch Pantera knowing Phil’s past, that’s your choice I can reveal that I bought the very limited red vinyl of the En Minor record in 2020 then!!!!!!!!!! Quote
Tamura Posted February 20, 2025 Posted February 20, 2025 Went to see She Drew The Gun at the Brudenell Social in Leeds last night, interesting mix of left-wing politics and pyschedlic pop. Very danceable, or they would be if I had a pair of knees that still worked properly... Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted February 21, 2025 Paid Members Posted February 21, 2025 (edited) On 2/19/2025 at 10:15 AM, Ironic Indie Lad said: Went to see Pantera* last night at the Hydro in Glasgow. First time seeing them* as last time they played Glasgow was at the Barrowlands in 2000 on Reinventing the Steel. That show well known among local metalheads for Phil Anselmo being a mess, barely singing, just sitting on the stage etc. I think this was the height of his back pain and drug issues. I wasn't there and was only about 12 but I've heard loads of people say how shit it was over the years. I was supposed to see them on the ill fated 'Tattoo the Planet' co-headline with Slayer that got cancelled following 9/11. Place was pretty busy. The 300 level seats were curtained off but probably 85% of the 200 seats were full and the floor was packed. Surprising as I was sceptical that they would have the drawing power to support a full UK arena tour at pretty high prices (my standing ticket was £100+) Missed King Parrot. Got in and got a good spot for Power Trip. Nightmare Logic is one of my favourite metal records of the last 15 years or so. Havant really followed what's gone on with them since Riley died so this was my first time seeing or hearing the new frontman. He did a good job and they played a really good set only slightly ruined by a complete bell next to me who just kept smugly saying how their songs sound like old Metallica songs. Genius intellect at work there, fast downpicking thrash riffs remind you of 80s Metallica?! Wow! Hadn't noticed that before. Pantera on next and rattled through A New Level, Mouth for War, Strength Beyond Strength, Becoming and I'm Broken. Quite frankly ridiculous run of songs. Sounded huge and Charlie Benante and Zakk Wylde were perfect. Phil sounded probably the best he has since at least the 3rd Down record. He does a fair amount of the Ozzy / Halford "you sing it" gimmick as I don't think he truly has the stamina to go full blast for entire songs. That's probably the only criticism I have though. A lovely time overall. Going to Birmingham on Sunday. I am plannong on getting in the queue early to catch King Parrot, though I dunno how they'll go down in a massive arena. I went to the Reinventing the Steel tour, i've read stuff since about how fucked Phil was during that time but I dont recall it being a bad show, I was young and too busy getting squished in the pit to notice. Weirdly, Powerman 5000 supported them on that tour. A proper sign of the times. I'm sure the show I went too was reviewed in Kerrang! I'll try finding a screen grab of it. Edit* here it is: Edited February 21, 2025 by Egg Shen Quote
Ironic Indie Lad Posted February 21, 2025 Posted February 21, 2025 1 hour ago, Egg Shen said: Going to Birmingham on Sunday. I am plannong on getting in the queue early to catch King Parrot, though I dunno how they'll go down in a massive arena. I went to the Reinventing the Steel tour, i've read stuff since about how fucked Phil was during that time but I dont recall it being a bad show, I was young and too busy getting squished in the pit to notice. Weirdly, Powerman 5000 supported them on that tour. A proper sign of the times. I'm sure the show I went too was reviewed in Kerrang! I'll try finding a screen grab of it. Edit* here it is: In Glasgow Phil mentioned how long its been since Pantera have been in Glasgow. He said its been since the Far Beyond Driven tour. My friend helpfully shouted "WRONG! YOU PLAYED THE BARRAS IN 2000 SUPPORTED BY POWERMAN 5000 and SATYRICON!!!!!!!!" from about 30 rows back. I am sure Phil heard him and thought "ah yes, so we did " Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted February 21, 2025 Moderators Posted February 21, 2025 I went to that tour (London show) and they were definitely off their faces, and still put on a great show. I distinctly remember being amazed at the time that they were capable of playing as well as they did if that's how fucked they were all the time. Quote
CTXRussomark Posted March 9, 2025 Posted March 9, 2025 Saw Limp Bizkit in Glasgow last night on the first gig of their UK Loserville tour, the loose theme of which is them touring with a bunch of smaller/niche/non-mainstream supporting acts (the US leg last year had Corey Feldman as one...). To say the undercard was a chore would be an understatement - FIVE support acts ranging from terrible to kinda alright, but also some guy "hosting" in between every act who seemed to be trying to do some sort of heel schtick to rile up the crowd but had absolutely no material to speak of and just dragged things on for an eternity every time he made an appearance. Doors opened at 6pm and 3 and a half hours later we were suffering through his 5th appearance of the night, though by this time he was getting drinks lobbed at him with a huge "paedo" chant attempting to drown him out. Whether these hours of frustration were some sort of master plan to build suspense for the main act I'm not sure, but when 9:45 hit and and the band were only just getting ready to appear on stage (bearing in mind an email had come out earlier in the week saying the event would finish by 10:45) it felt like a miracle would be needed to to turn things around. Should've never doubted them - within 15 minutes the past 3+ hours were completely forgotten and LB went on to play an incredible hit-laden set in front of a crowd that gave then every ounce of energy they had from beginning to end. They played just over an hour (going slightly over the 10:45 end time) but it was an almost perfect set from a band who knew exactly what the crowd wanted. No attempt to play any of the recent material or any deep cuts - it was hit after hit after hit for the whole show and it delivered in every way. Interestingly this is the second headline band I've seen recently playing a super short set (the last one being Slipknot on their self-titled album anniversary tour) and I have to say I'm completely sold on it. I know with ticket prices being so high thesedays some people feel shortchanged if they don't get a solid 2 hour show from the main act, but sometimes less really is more. I'll take a super tight set that leaves me wanting more over a longer show that partially exists to justify the ticket price. So yeah, 11 out of 10 for Bizkit and I'd definitely recommend going to one of the shows if you were a fan back in the day and fancy reliving some of your youth. Definitely don't feel the need to get there early though. Quote
Kfogg1991 Posted March 10, 2025 Posted March 10, 2025 Just looked on the download forums and the consensus isn't amazing either. The four supports I've never heard of personally which factored into me not getting a ticket for it but looking at the setlist it's extremely paint by numbers and basic and looks like more snippets between songs than song's themselves which for a band this size is not acceptable ever. It was the same argument I had for the slipknot tour in December whilst it's promoted as the first album anniversary in full (which even that didn't happen cos they skipped one that they've never played live previously but didn't help for length of time they played) they literally played that album nothing else, which made there set time just over a hour by a couple minutes, and for a band playing arenas and charging fan's the amount for tickets it's wrong to only play a hour on stage. Shame cos limp bizkit could do two hours minimum and still miss big bangers unplayed. Sorry you had a shitty evening Quote
TibBo Posted March 10, 2025 Posted March 10, 2025 With support acts there are really two different approaches, get some ace bands on to get the crowd warmed-up and amped ready for the headliners, or get some crap bands on to make a lacklustre headliner seem better by comparison. Sounds like they opted for the latter, especially if they only played for an hour. That is crap. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted March 10, 2025 Posted March 10, 2025 It also seems like the played Break Stuff twice. Quote
Kfogg1991 Posted March 10, 2025 Posted March 10, 2025 42 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said: It also seems like the played Break Stuff twice. Yes they do that and have done for years. Play it first then end with it as well no clue why I understand once or twice maybe if the crowd goes unhinged but not every show Quote
CTXRussomark Posted March 11, 2025 Posted March 11, 2025 19 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said: Sorry you had a shitty evening It was a long post so I don't blame you for not making it all the way through, but just to be clear I wouldn't change a thing about the LB set itself. It was near perfect and more than made up for the shitty undercard, and I would 100% go see them again even if it was the exact same setlist. Quote
Kfogg1991 Posted March 11, 2025 Posted March 11, 2025 3 hours ago, CTXRussomark said: It was a long post so I don't blame you for not making it all the way through, but just to be clear I wouldn't change a thing about the LB set itself. It was near perfect and more than made up for the shitty undercard, and I would 100% go see them again even if it was the exact same setlist. In honesty I'm pretty sure it's the same setlist I saw when they headlined download in 2013 lmao All bangers just too short and nothing from the new album I think is wrong Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.