AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

That Danielson/MiSu match was pretty special. I'd love to see him in the G1 next year. Bobby Fish was alright, but I always preferred Kyle O'Reilly. If/when he leaves NXT and arrives in AEW it'll be good to see. 

I think all the G1 chat is to keep fans happy but unlikely. To be there in time he’s missing dynamite and rampage tapings for weeks, and why would aew let a top talent miss 2 months of tv to boost a competitor? Can see him doing the Dome type shows, Mox G1 worked with aew not on tv yet. 

45 minutes ago, Louch said:

I think all the G1 chat is to keep fans happy but unlikely. To be there in time he’s missing dynamite and rampage tapings for weeks, and why would aew let a top talent miss 2 months of tv to boost a competitor? Can see him doing the Dome type shows, Mox G1 worked with aew not on tv yet. 

Because Kahn is a fan at heart, and there is value in having Danielson off tv for a little bit after a year of solid work, then make a big return two months later.

One thing AEW does well is understand the importance of not overexposing talent. In a year's time the hope is you can rely less of your Punks and Danielsons.

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne

3 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Because Kahn is a fan at heart, and there is value in having Danielson off tv for a little bit after a year of solid work, then make a big return two months later

He’s a fan yes, but he’s a business man and this is his business. And as fans will be going to watch him on new Japan, it’s not really gonna bring him back Fresh for tv. And will only take massive chunks out of his bump card Wrestling that style 3 nights in a row as well as the travel. High risk for little reward for aew 

• Paid Members

I guess it depends on what type of deal he has worked out with AEW. We know it'll have involved him being free to do New Japan, however how much freedom that will include on dates will be interesting to see. Hardly anyone that watches AEW though will follow him to NJPW to watch his matches there though. That's a small, small fraction of the audience that watch Dynamite each week.

I'd only bother if it was a match with Tanahashi, and possibly Ibushi. The handful of times that I have watched NJPW in recent years it beggars belief how good Tanahashi is. He's Japan's Bret Hart. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Louch said:

That's the thing with the Forbidden Door stuff though. None of the companies see each other as competitors any more. They all seem quite happy to work together, share talent and make everybody involved seem more special. AEW has actively promoted NJPW and NWA shows recently, which would've been unthinkable in the past.

It makes sense too. This isn't the Monday Night Wars, where you could only watch one show, They are easily accessible. The more eyes they put on the companies they are working with, the bigger the pool of recognisable talent they have to draw from. I wouldn't have known who Suzuki was if Moxley hadn't worked for NJPW, for example.

As great as Danielson is, the AEW roster is so deep that I think they could easily manage without him. I also think Tony Khan is the kind of boss who would let him do it, just because it's his dream. They gave Hangman two months off on paternity leave, at a time when he was over as fuck. I could totally see him agreeing to this, if he hasn't already.

5 minutes ago, Louch said:

He’s a fan yes, but he’s a business man and this is his business. And as fans will be going to watch him on new Japan, it’s not really gonna bring him back Fresh for tv. And will only take massive chunks out of his bump card Wrestling that style 3 nights in a row as well as the travel. High risk for little reward for aew 

Which isn't really true though is it. Jon Moxley is off working the likes of GCW & Defy and it's not like it massively boosts their exposure. Didn't NJPW World peak at around 100k subscribers with the slight majority of that still being domestic subscribers. 

For the likes of us, we'll be aware of it. For the majority of people that actually watch Dynamite in the states they'll be largely clueless.

1 hour ago, unfitfinlay said:

That's the thing with the Forbidden Door stuff though. None of the companies see each other as competitors any more. They all seem quite happy to work together, share talent and make everybody involved seem more special. AEW has actively promoted NJPW and NWA shows recently, which would've been unthinkable in the past.

It makes sense too. This isn't the Monday Night Wars, where you could only watch one show, They are easily accessible. The more eyes they put on the companies they are working with, the bigger the pool of recognisable talent they have to draw from. I wouldn't have known who Suzuki was if Moxley hadn't worked for NJPW, for example.

As great as Danielson is, the AEW roster is so deep that I think they could easily manage without him. I also think Tony Khan is the kind of boss who would let him do it, just because it's his dream. They gave Hangman two months off on paternity leave, at a time when he was over as fuck. I could totally see him agreeing to this, if he hasn't already.

Hangman wasn’t away on another wrestling show for two months. They aren’t comparable at all. Khan has been happy to do favours on guys days off, but why would he send new Japan a headliner while they send him opening match multi man wrestlers? Suzuki hasn’t been seen as good enough for the G1 for a Few years now.

His business is to get the most people watching dynamite and rampage as he can. Weakening his show for that long to do a favour ain’t happening .

1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

Which isn't really true though is it. Jon Moxley is off working the likes of GCW & Defy and it's not like it massively boosts their exposure. Didn't NJPW World peak at around 100k subscribers with the slight majority of that still being domestic subscribers. 

For the likes of us, we'll be aware of it. For the majority of people that actually watch Dynamite in the states they'll be largely clueless.

It makes aew look lesser than if one of their top guys isn’t on tv for two months as he’s more interested in wrestling elsewhere. Omega never missed a dynamite to do tna, moxley doesn’t miss dynamite to do GCW. 

1 hour ago, Louch said:

It makes aew look lesser than if one of their top guys isn’t on tv for two months as he’s more interested in wrestling elsewhere. Omega never missed a dynamite to do tna, moxley doesn’t miss dynamite to do GCW. 

Lesser to who? The people watching NJPW?