AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

I have always hated ratings chat, to see Tony going So public on it is annoying. You never see walking dead show runners say they where going after say Sons Of Anarchy’s rating. Kinda shit that makes wrestling shows look smalltime. Wwe aren't your competition any more than YouTube, news channels, Golf, Marble Run that everyone now has the option to go watch instead of your show are. 

just make good shows people wanna watch, that will do more than going after a behemoth that many support like a sports team, and will not watch in spite of you asking as you went for something they hold dear. 

What is this obsession with ratings. Surely you want people turning up and spending money irrespective of a demographic. Whether it’s 18-34 turning up at AEW or young kids turning up at WWE what is the obsesssion? WWE is and will always be a bigger brand than AEW

2 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

What is this obsession with ratings. Surely you want people turning up and spending money irrespective of a demographic. Whether it’s 18-34 turning up at AEW or young kids turning up at WWE what is the obsesssion? WWE is and will always be a bigger brand than AEW

If AEW is seen as a a ratings success especially in the 'key demos' then when it comes to their next TV deal, they can leverage a bigger deal from their current station or go to another if someone flings money at it. That will also help with getting into different markets etc. For an upstart organisation that hasn't been around long its really encouraging to see how consistent and well they are doing.

I imagine next year they'll begin the international tours. Can definitely see a UK tour being announced at some point. Possibly Japan if they get Omega to promote the shit out of it.

• Paid Members

I think a lot of it for fans (Can't speak for the companies or TV execs as I don't have the foggiest about that), its a clamoring for the heyday of the Monday Night Wars and that everyone associates the best period for wrestling in their lives is when the two companies were battling over ratings, playing dirty and slinging mud. 

It seems more of a sideshow than anything. 

I don't really mind Tony getting a bit of piss and vinegar about him as long as it doesn't affect the on screen creative. It's easy to ignore. The business gets everyone eventually, doesn't it. 

spacer.png

"We make movies."

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Ratings chat is very much a hangover from the Monday Night Wars. It's a my dad's bigger than your dad argument these days. From an IWC point of view it matters very little since a lot of people will watch everything.

Spike were by and large happy with the ratings Impact were getting, the problem was how they were run. Warner are clearly very happy with AEW as well. Rampage was originally meant to go to TBS along with Dynamite, now they're keeping it on TNT. There was also that press release not that long ago talking about all the other shows that are in development.

Ratings (and the whataboutery) from people about it genuinely drives me away from any thought of watching for a day or so. Its easily the most bland discussion point ever that isn't what Jim Cornette thinks. It's the nearest wrestling fans get to making wrestling sound a bit important. Like when they break down how the team lost on Saturday. 

• Paid Members

Not sure if it follows Tony Khan 'poking the bear' or not, but Smackdown has now been confirmed as being 'commercial free' for the last 30 mins. Which looks to be Becky Lynch vs Sasha Banks. 

What counter programming?

12 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Ratings are a clear indicator of the success of some TV shows we all want to suceeed (or fail). If they're of no interest to you, just skip over it.

I see ratings discussed for tv shows at a series level. Not to how wrestling shows get broken down to granular levels.  I’ve still to see anything Gained in anyone's enjoyment of a show that comes from breaking down the 1/4 hours.
Then people saying a show they liked wasn’t good as it dipped that 1/4 hour in others not watching something they liked. Yet to see any positive from a fan point of view, always reads as looking for something to find fault in 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Louch said:

Then people saying a show they liked wasn’t good as it dipped that 1/4 hour in others not watching something they liked. 

Genuine question: is anyone saying this? It's two different discussions, surely? Whether you enjoyed something and whether it got good ratings aren't connected, but both are perfectly valid metrics.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Genuine question: is anyone saying this? It's two different discussions, surely? Whether you enjoyed something and whether it got good ratings aren't connected, but both are perfectly valid metrics.

Iv often heard shows be talked about on podcasts and twitter as being good, then be talked like it’s a poor show as the ratings didn’t match their involvement 

4 hours ago, Nick James said:

Not sure if it follows Tony Khan 'poking the bear' or not, but Smackdown has now been confirmed as being 'commercial free' for the last 30 mins. Which looks to be Becky Lynch vs Sasha Banks. 

What counter programming?

Becky Lynch vs Sasha Banks can get in the bin.

Feel like I have seen it 100 times already.

• Paid Members

Even if you hate people talking about ratings, anyone who’s a fan of either product should be absolutely delighted it’s still considered such an important thing by those in the industry itself. Wrestling is better now than it has been in forever, with both companies putting out the best programming they can. Fucking Big E is the WWE Champion, being heavily featured in Saturday’s boxing event, looking like the biggest star of all time! CM Punk is back wrestling regularly! None of this happens without AEW existing or everyone being obsessed with with key demos. Long may it continue.

I hope the competition forces AEW to treat Rampage with a bit more importance this week and maybe shoot a big angle on Friday rather than just presenting their usual handful of good to acceptable matches.

Gonna be funny if WWE lose on Friday and revert back to the, “imaginary war,” narrative though, innit?

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Must be feeling like a pretty good scenario if you're AEW. If you lose, you were going up against the established brand who have a way bigger deal than you - it's not like a TNA where you've moved to Monday night to compete, you're on your usual night in a one-off 30min competing slot. If you 'win' the ratings you look like an amazing deal and is a massive boost to your back-end business, if you 'lose' it's just a 30-min rating against a competitor who should be doing a better rating than you anyway.