No doubt Captain Tom will appear in an ITV montage before the game.

@SuperBacon - I get your point on the National Anthems, and I'm not saying everyone who does/did it is some flag shagging BNP lad. I just think there will always be an element of the English fan base who are utter tossers and I can imagine them being the ones leading this. Anyway, the Italian one is an absolute tune, so hopefully everyone just joins in!

On National Anthems, England really need a new one. Whack Jerusalem on like the cricket. The only good thing about GSTQ is its relatively short.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Anyway, the Italian one is an absolute tune

If I wasn't such a Francophile, I'd say it was the best national anthem out there. So for me it goes:

1) Le Marseillaise

2) Italian national anthem

3) Russia/Soviet Union anthem

8 minutes ago, Factotum said:

On National Anthems, England really need a new one. Whack Jerusalem on like the cricket. The only good thing about GSTQ is its relatively short.

Jerusalem is garbage. Plus it’s a bit problematic. The problem with the English one, apart from the tune, is it doesn’t celebrate England. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Apart from the fact that GSTQ is fucking shit in pretty much every way, one of the reasons I despise it being used for England is that it's one of many little messages that tells the rest of the Home Nations that England is the "default". They should just make it Jerusalem, which is a better tune, a little bit more about the people than one fucking person in an iniquitous institution, and is just as easy to belt out.

EDIT: I agree with Houchen that it's problematic, but I just don't know any other English anthems.

Edited by Carbomb

17 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

If I wasn't such a Francophile, I'd say it was the best national anthem out there. So for me it goes:

1) Le Marseillaise

2) Italian national anthem

3) Russia/Soviet Union anthem

The French one is so good, and is so fitting. I love the German one as well.

English one should probably be Crazy Frog or something. Or change it to whatever is number one that week so the players have to try and sing that. Like karaoke but better.

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Apart from the fact that GSTQ is fucking shit in pretty much every way, one of the reasons I despise it being used for England is that it's one of many little messages that tells the rest of the Home Nations that England is the "default". They should just make it Jerusalem, which is a better tune, a little bit more about the people than one fucking person in an iniquitous institution, and is just as easy to belt out.

EDIT: I agree with Houchen that it's problematic, but I just don't know any other English anthems.

God save the queen is the anthem of GB and NI, just because other nations have chosen to sing a different national anthem that doesn't make it the fault of the English.

While Italy and France may have great music, 80,000 Welsh signing Land of our fathers at full voice is much much better. Flower of Scotland is a lot more atmospheric too.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Jerusalem is garbage. 

Not going to lie, Jerusalem's a banging song.

I have no problem with England using GSTQ though. The anthem means sod all to me and just reiterates the inconvenient truth for some of how Englishness and Britishness are interchangeable.

Edited by garynysmon