• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, StrongStyle said:

To be fair, it is hardly news that Kane and Sterling are cheating divers. Sterling was screaming in 'agony' as Kjaer bundled the ball over the line for the own goal and made a miraculous recovery to wheel away. Fascinating how they lambasted Immobile for the same thing against Belgium the other day and spent nearly all of half time talking about it. I suppose the distraction of a game spared us from more puff pieces about Luke Shaw's slippers.

The obvious solution is that we get Alan Green and Chris Waddle to commentate on the final. Neither one is afraid to mince their words on commentary.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

But that huge unbeaten run, those results... 

That counts for nothing to be honest. Nobody would ever talk about Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten run if they didn't win the Premier League within that run.

Chiellini and Bonucci are tremendous defenders, Spinazzola has had a superb tournament (before his injury) and their RB options are ok, but you can't compare them to Maldini/Baresi/Tassotti/Costacurta- who are arguably the greatest defence in the history of this sport. That 94 side also had arguably the greatest ever Italian player (Baggio) as the fulcrum and a wealth of attacking talent that included Casiraghi, Zola and Signori. Hell, even the likes of Vialli, Mancini and Ravanelli weren't in the squad. I would argue that the squad a few years later was even better- with the likes of Del Piero, Nesta, Cannavaro, Chiesa, Vieri, Buffon and Pippo added (Totti slightly later too).

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Yeah, the dive and laser pen disappointed me.

What's this laser pen talk all about? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere until this thread.

I think it was a pen, albeit a soft one, however Kane should have had one earlier on as well.

4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

What's this laser pen talk all about? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere until this thread.

spacer.png

UEFA have charged them over that particular bit of Raw is War 1998 fun. 

• Paid Members

It is impressive that in spite of that he's still managed to save the penalty in spite of that. 

15 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

That counts for nothing to be honest. Nobody would ever talk about Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten run if they didn't win the Premier League within that run.

Chiellini and Bonucci are tremendous defenders, Spinazzola has had a superb tournament (before his injury) and their RB options are ok, but you can't compare them to Maldini/Baresi/Tassotti/Costacurta- who are arguably the greatest defence in the history of this sport. That 94 side also had arguably the greatest ever Italian player (Baggio) as the fulcrum and a wealth of attacking talent that included Casiraghi, Zola and Signori. Hell, even the likes of Vialli, Mancini and Ravanelli weren't in the squad. I would argue that the squad a few years later was even better- with the likes of Del Piero, Nesta, Cannavaro, Chiesa, Vieri, Buffon and Pippo added (Totti slightly later too).

I think it was a pen, albeit a soft one, however Kane should have had one earlier on as well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/euro-2021/2021/07/07/kasper-schmeichel-had-laser-pen-shone-face-harry-kane-stepped/

1 hour ago, RancidPunx said:

Sorry, i’ll rephrase .

Poor form from Sterling for cheating, poor form from the media for not calling it out for what it is.

Especially when such a song and dance was made about Maradona’s cheating .

If a Danish player did it, we would never hear the end of it. An english player does it and its “clever”.

ITV did say at one point that (I think) Kane seemed to have an Immobile moment when he got straight up. But you’re right about the media of course. 
It isn’t poor form for cheating in my eyes, it’s good use of skill. 

16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

ITV did say at one point that (I think) Kane seemed to have an Immobile moment when he got straight up. But you’re right about the media of course. 

Thats fine if thats your viewpoint. I’m sure you wont be criticising any opposition players for ever doing the same…..  

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

As a great man once said "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat." 

25 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Thats fine if thats your viewpoint. I’m sure you wont be criticising any opposition players for ever doing the same…..  

I won’t. Bear in mind I wanted England to lose but applauded Sterling’s dive. I have absolutely no problem with cheating to win. 

• Paid Members

Kjaer got Maguire booked after a little arm on his shoulder. Christiansen lobbed himself on the floor to win the free-kick they scored from. None of that was referenced on the telly either, other than Lee Dixon's bland "a bit harsh for me, that".

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It is impressive that in spite of that he's still managed to save the penalty in spite of that. 

It's a little green pen, not a laser cutter. Whoever took it is obviously a dick but it had no affect on anything.

Ref reported it to the UEFA official, you could see them having a chat and the ref miming it.

• Paid Members

I've seen a lot of piss being boiled over the penalty, so here's a reminder that the words 'soft' and 'stonewall' don't appear in the laws of the game. Those are pundit terms and completely irrelevant when it comes to the decision making behind awarding a penalty. Two fouls were committed on Sterling in that incident, it was as easy a decision as the VAR team would ever have to review. They aren't there to debate whether in their opinion the player might have been able to stay on his feet or not.