22 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Yeah, the dive and laser pen disappointed me. As a Scotland fan, I find myself in the curious position of wanting to support this England team - for the most part, they seem like genuinely decent people. You have them taking the knee in the face of criticism (outside of the England game, Scotland didn't have the balls to do that), Harry Kane wearing the rainbow armband, Southgate's essay on patriotism - there's a lot to like. 

Denmark, given what they've been through, losing in that manner feels very unfair, though. 

Having said that, is there a way that England can win, and the Brexiteer types and racists who are trying to exploit this success (after vowing to boycott the team) lose?

Yeah, to be fair the players and manager seem fine. Decent young team. Generally play ok football and don’t whinge too much needlessly.  The media and the hype has always been an issue though. But thats beyond the teams control to be fair. 

• Paid Members
Just now, RancidPunx said:

Yeah, to be fair the players and manager seem fine. Decent young team. Generally play ok football and don’t whinge too much needlessly.  The media and the hype has always been an issue though. But thats beyond the teams control to be fair. 

There's certainly the core of a great team there, and a really good foundation to build on. They work hard, they don't get ahead of theirselves either. Take each game as it comes. Yeah there's some luck there, but there's always luck. 

Kasper is a great goalkeeper, but he is nowhere near the level of his dad. The saves he made last night were good, but not exactly world class. The Sterling shot was hit into his belly and the save from the Maguire header was fairly soft, and in fairness a save I'd expect most professional goalkeepers to save.

As for the best in the world? He's not even the best in the Prem. As a Spurs fan we have scored some absolute stinkers against him, when we scored 7 at Kingpower he should've saved at least 2 if not 3, last season he punched the ball in to the net which cost them Champions League football. Keepers better than Kasper: Alisson, Ederson, Mendy, Lloris, Martinez, Pope, Fabianski, possibly Pickford.

• Paid Members

I don't think you can judge a goalie now vs. a goalie from the 90s. The job is objectively completely different. Not only are you required to play out, particularly if you're in a top team, but the balls are near uncatchable. Apparently the difference in the balls for the semis has been huge, which might explain the free-kick goal last night (diabolical decision when an entire group of players were doing the same thing btw but hey, that one was against England).

Comparing him to his Dad is still interesting though. He's obviously better with the ball at his feet because he has to be and I think he's an even better shot stopper than Peter, who was incredibly agile himself. Peter was an unbelievable presence though. Rarely replicated and worth at least a point just lining up. Kasper has been through loads at Leicester and is a real humble, dignified leader but I don't think when you place yourself at that point in time it compares to the affect Peter had on opposition players and fans just from his reputation and ability, knowing he'd be big on one on ones, he'd come and take any imperfect cross and he'd fill the goal. Kasper's taken plenty from him, that save from Sterling was pure Schmeichel DNA. Poor finish but great goalkeeping.

Kasper isn't the best goalie in the world but I think he's the best goalie in the tournament. That's praise enough.

5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Much like if a penalty kick results in a goal then it’s a good penalty, he won a penalty with his dive so it was a good dive. 

So this was a good dive, bad penalty, good goal?

On this point, I don't think I have ever seen Kane take a worse penalty. There was one he skied at Southampton years ago, but IIRC it was soaking wet or icy and he blamed the spot, like all good strikers should.

But this was awful. Top Marx for being alert enough after 105 minutes to be first to the rebound but yeah, that was a dreadful penalty the more I see it. I hope that's his 'Lineker against Brazil level bad pen' out the way.

• Paid Members

Slightly unsettled by the Danish focus on the 'soft penalty' when we practically outplayed them from the minute the second half started. Danish manager played his cards with 5 subs in normal time and paid the price for it. Whilst last night I sat watching through my hands and on the edge of the seat, we were comfortably the better team by the time the game was winding down and that was before they went to 10 men through injury. 

Didn't have a clue how to deal with the final whistle though. I have a load of friends in Italy who blew up my Whatsapp the minute that rebound went inn though. Quality.

• Paid Members

He's played for it. Another more physical player could have pushed through, kept the ball and gone on to have a shot. Different players respond differently. He looked like he was already on his way down when the contact happened. Mrs Jazzy's uncle says there another penalty shout that should have been given but got turned down afterwards?

56 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Much like if a penalty kick results in a goal then it’s a good penalty, he won a penalty with his dive so it was a good dive. 

Sorry, i’ll rephrase .

Poor form from Sterling for cheating, poor form from the media for not calling it out for what it is.

Especially when such a song and dance was made about Maradona’s cheating .

If a Danish player did it, we would never hear the end of it. An english player does it and its “clever”.

To be fair, it is hardly news that Kane and Sterling are cheating divers. Sterling was screaming in 'agony' as Kjaer bundled the ball over the line for the own goal and made a miraculous recovery to wheel away. Fascinating how they lambasted Immobile for the same thing against Belgium the other day and spent nearly all of half time talking about it. I suppose the distraction of a game spared us from more puff pieces about Luke Shaw's slippers.