Billie Kay and Mickie James released (+ others)

I Bent My Wookie

Imagine getting headhunted for your dream job, asked to uproot and relocate you and your family across country for it at probably your own expense, only to be then let go due to "budget cuts" during the most profitable year the company has ever had and also during one of the worst periods in recent times to be a self employed wrestler. I think you'd have every right to be a bit annoyed by the situation regardless of how much business sense it makes.

These "budget cut" releases have been going on quite regularly since April. Since then, they've hired and fired both Eva Marie and Davey Boy Smith Jr (plus maybe some others, I'm not sure). Why bother hiring those people (who admittedly aren't going to make them money) if they were still trying to save cash? I genuinely don't think they have an actual plan and are just taking it on a day-to-day basis.

4 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Imagine getting headhunted for your dream job, asked to uproot and relocate you and your family across country for it at probably your own expense, only to be then let go due to "budget cuts" during the most profitable year the company has ever had and also during one of the worst periods in recent times to be a self employed wrestler. I think you'd have every right to be a bit annoyed by the situation regardless of how much business sense it makes.

Yeah, it’s absolutely shite for them. I don’t think anyone doesn’t have a degree of sympathy for them. With regarding the headhunting, it begs the question if those doing the headhunting aren’t up to the job. With a regular company, if the person in charge of hiring hired a bunch of people who weren’t up to scratch, it’s their job on the line. Have any back office staff been let go recently? If they’re hiring a bunch of people who don’t have what it takes in the bosses eyes, they’ll be in the firing line. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

If they’re hiring a bunch of people who don’t have what it takes in the bosses eyes, they’ll be in the firing line. 

Doesn't help when the boss is a mad fucker in his late 70s that changes his mind from week to week though.

I doubt that anyone can actually enjoy working in such an environment.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, it’s absolutely shite for them. I don’t think anyone doesn’t have a degree of sympathy for them. With regarding the headhunting, it begs the question if those doing the headhunting aren’t up to the job. With a regular company, if the person in charge of hiring hired a bunch of people who weren’t up to scratch, it’s their job on the line. Have any back office staff been let go recently? If they’re hiring a bunch of people who don’t have what it takes in the bosses eyes, they’ll be in the firing line. 

That's part of the process in their case isn't it? It's a pretty scattergun approach looking for talent from anywhere with any quality. Most fall by the way side early on but those that don't carry on until someone eventually finds a reason to let them go. Their whole approach is like a big Tough Enough contest, with wages.

Many years ago I used to work for EA, and at that time they regularly used to prune 10% of the workforce at Xmas.  And being recently employed wasn't any sort of a shield for that, sadly.  They used to do it for what I suspect were very similar reasons to WWE - to keep a turnover of staff going ("dead wood" policy) and to make themselves more appealing to the Street.  It's all about share price with these companies.

The first time I got made redundant by them it was a real blow - I'd just bought a house and moved to be closer to the studio.  Went through the loong redundancy consultation process, which is a way of letting you down slowly and painfully.

The SECOND time I got make redundant by them, I just picked up my jacket and walked off, to look for a new job.  It absolutely sucks to be let go by a company but it's very rarely personal, and part of the way that a lot of large organisations run.

I'm currently working for EA again, for a third time.  It does pay to not hold grudges or burn bridges, they pay very well.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That's part of the process in their case isn't it? It's a pretty scattergun approach looking for talent from anywhere with any quality. Most fall by the way side early on but those that don't carry on until someone eventually finds a reason to let them go. Their whole approach is like a big Tough Enough contest, with wages.

The thing is, WWE is in a position where it can afford to take risks and pick up anyone showing any upside. They can also just as easily dispose of them at the drop of a hat.

The days of wrestlers in the 80's turning up to Wrestlemania like it was just a big house show on the loop are all gone. I'm sure any WWF big name at the time would have fucked off to Crockett if he'd offered more cash. They didn't give a fuck where or who they wrestled for as 'New York" wasn't what they grew up on, if they were fans at all. (I'll happily argue that being a fan growing up isn't always helpful for a wrestler's career).

But now, for better or worse, the current generation of wrestlers grew up on a diet of WWE and have all dreamt of having their own 'Wrestlemania moment' etc. I'm under no illusions that Jordynne Grace would struggle to refuse a good offer if it came her way, despite what she said (which I'm sure she meant at the time).

The WWE knows this and use it to their advantage. Its exactly the same as the reams of promising footballers who signed for Chelsea during most of the 2000's, aware that their chances of making it to the first team were remote, but each dreamed of being the one to break the mould.

Sadly, more often than not they spent 5-6 seasons out on loan and fucked up their development, ending up as second tier players.

I think there's some parallels there.

Edited by garynysmon

WWE has also released their CFO, Kristina Salen, who was on yesterday's earning call. Well, I say released - I assume she got let go with a nice golden parachute, since she's an actual employee.

They *have* to be selling.

Edited by 69MeDon

7 hours ago, garynysmon said:

McMahon is obviously the most evil man in history for doing something like that. Except he isn't. at least not in relation to this. Anyone remotely familiar with wrestling history knows that's how it worked for decades during the territory era. People would move to a new territory, and if things didn't work out they'd be fired and move somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, Tamura said:

McMahon is obviously the most evil man in history for doing something like that. Except he isn't. at least not in relation to this. Anyone remotely familiar with wrestling history knows that's how it worked for decades during the territory era. People would move to a new territory, and if things didn't work out they'd be fired and move somewhere else.

Which makes it kind of a shame that Vince put all those territories out of business.

55 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Fuck me, that’s grim. I’m no Nia fan but asking for time off for mental illness and getting fired is just horrendous. 

another one using the mental health card after getting ripped a new one for being anti vaccination