Billie Kay and Mickie James released (+ others)

I Bent My Wookie

• Paid Members

Going back to the previous discussion, if you don't employ paramedics for your show then you shouldn't be allowed to run one. Without exception.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Wasn't there some guy on the roster who was living off Food Stamps too?

IIRC Zema Ion/DJZ (now Joaquin Wilde in NXT) was living in his car whilst he was X-Division champ?

23 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Honestly it's ludicrous that some promotions still don't have a paramedic on site.

If they can't stump up the cash for that they shouldn't be running shows as far as I'm concerned.

I remember being at a 1PW show at the Granby and Bubblegum landed square on his head during a match and didn't/couldn't move.
He was just laid in the ring for about 10 minutes to the point where everyone was going 'Are they going to get him some help?'
I can't remember exactly but I think eventually an ambulance did turn up but with the Granby being an absolute shithole and located in the arse end of nowhere I think it took them a while to find it and get there.

If you are only working say 5 days a month, it’s smart to have a second job. No different from say firemen who work other work when not on shifts. It’s not always about needing the money, just wanting more. 

17 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Wasn't there some guy on the roster who was living off Food Stamps too?

That was Jesse Neal who went public about it but i think it was Zbyszko who once said quite a few of the roster was on stamps

• Paid Members

Not really surprised that a company owned by a yellow-dog Republican carny, that insists on its workers being legally classed as independent contractors instead of employees to avoid a number of financial and legal obligations, would have a general company policy of paying people as little as they can get away with.

• Paid Members

Is this a recent phenomenon though? You always hear old-timers moaning about how “back in the day” they’d spend more money on gas than they’d get paid for the show they were driving to, even though they were doing TV.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Is this a recent phenomenon though? You always hear old-timers moaning about how “back in the day” they’d spend more money on gas than they’d get paid for the show they were driving to, even though they were doing TV.

That's the thing. The industry in general has been like this for years. I remember Freddie Blassie's autobiography talking about how McMahon & co. stood out way ahead of all the other promoters because they paid more, and they never got out of paying.

Think about how shit the rest of them must have been for Vincent fucking McMahon to be considered a good employer?!

17 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Going back to the previous discussion, if you don't employ paramedics for your show then you shouldn't be allowed to run one. Without exception.

Wholly agree yes. 

You will have promoters though that will feel like it is the talents responsibility to be well trained enough to not require to have to pay for a paramedic or to purchase a suitable insurance policy to cover it. 

If a town hall venue holds 400. It's a sell out of £12 per ticket is £4800. A paramedic for the night is £800 the promoter is then having to pay for the venue hire, talent, advertising costs. The promoter won't have an awful lot of profit from the ticket sales. Unless the promoter has good merchandise to sell to the fans or has other revenue streams such as online video on demand then some smaller promotions will end up seeing it's not worth it and will probably stop running. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Hoptimus said:

Wholly agree yes. 

You will have promoters though that will feel like it is the talents responsibility to be well trained enough to not require to have to pay for a paramedic or to purchase a suitable insurance policy to cover it. 

If a town hall venue holds 400. It's a sell out of £12 per ticket is £4800. A paramedic for the night is £800 the promoter is then having to pay for the venue hire, talent, advertising costs. The promoter won't have an awful lot of profit from the ticket sales. Unless the promoter has good merchandise to sell to the fans or has other revenue streams such as online video on demand then some smaller promotions will end up seeing it's not worth it and will probably stop running. 

And they would be reprehensible morons.

If someone takes a bad move and ends up paralysed or worse, I’d love to see that promoter walk up to the injured’s family and explain, “Well, I’m sorry, but they just weren’t well-trained enough.”

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hoptimus said:

Then they're not fit to be promoters of events like that. Absolutely fuck that approach.

5 minutes ago, Hoptimus said:

some smaller promotions will end up seeing it's not worth it and will probably stop running. 

Good. If they're taking the approach above then they're shitarses who shouldn't be promoting.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

If someone takes a bad move and ends up paralysed or worse, I’d love to see that promoter walk up to the injured’s family and explain, “Well, I’m sorry, but they just weren’t well-trained enough.”

Not to mention top wrestlers in major promotions get injured by accident all the time, and not all the accidents are down to the actual wrestling either. Owen Hart immediately comes to mind, but guys like Triple H, John Cena, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Chris Jericho, et al have all sustained bad injuries that put them out of action through no real fault of their own.

19 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Totally agree. There will be some out there.

19 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Then they're not fit to be promoters of events like that. Absolutely fuck that approach.

Good. If they're taking the approach above then they're shitarses who shouldn't be promoting.

Totally agree with you. There will be some that promoter isn't a full time gig and that they work a desk job somewhere. The cost of the paramedic could actually have been their profit for the night that they get to walk home with. No profit no point in running. Money to pay for a holiday without touching the day job money goes away.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Sheffbag said:

That was Jesse Neal who went public about it but i think it was Zbyszko who once said quite a few of the roster was on stamps

Apparently Neal qualified for them but never actually took them. He just borrowed off people instead.

The most shocking thing for me is how TNA handled injuries. Jesse Sorenson's Mum went bankrupt because TNA refused to pay any of his medical bills after he broke his neck. Daffney had to sue to get them to cover her bills, after she got injured doing a barbed wire-table spot that they talked her into, and didn't even capture on camera.

I'm sure R-Truth quit because they only agreed to LOAN him money when he was injured as well.

19 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

True. It's a different world now though. You can't simultaneously promote yourself as a legitimate global media company and then become an old school carney when it comes time to pay people. I mean, you can obviously, it's just marginally more scummy than when the likes of Jarrett used to do it.

It's self defeating too. As someone else said, promoters should want their talent to come across as larger than life superstars. Bit hard to do that when you know that they aren't good enough to make a full time living.