WWE/Vince bans thigh-slapping

SpykeDudlei1

8 hours ago, stewdogg said:

Throwing a clothesline and holding yourself up in the corner are not comparable. A clothesline is a natural thing to have in a match. 

Fair point. It’s not a like for like comparison but I was offering it as a type of example of opponents doing something that sets themselves up for the move. You’re right though, holding yourself up for that stomp is painful on the eyes.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SpykeDudlei1 said:

Fair point. It’s not a like for like comparison but I was offering it as a type of example of opponents doing something that sets themselves up for the move. You’re right though, holding yourself up for that stomp is painful on the eyes.

The first time I ever saw the spot was live. Low Ki was wrestling Homicide and they were fighting on the top rope over a potential superplex and the latter got crotched and then battered to an upside down position. As he tried to haul himself upright, Ki splattered him with the stomp. It happened organically, blew my mind and quite rightly was the finish.

Not all recreations of the spot are created equal, clearly.

9 minutes ago, air_raid said:

The first time I ever saw the spot was live. Low Ki was wrestling Homicide and they were fighting on the top rope over a potential superplex and the latter got crotched and then battered to an upside down position. As he tried to haul himself upright, Ki splattered him with the stomp. It happened organically, blew my mind and quite rightly was the finish.

Not all recreations of the spot are created equal, clearly.

One of the Cov Skydome supershows? I remember seeing Homicide later on with the nastiest black eye.

• Paid Members

A lot of that type of contrived set-up starts the same way - it's pulled off organically once, gets over (either with the fans or with the office), and then has to become a staple part of someone's offence. Once it becomes that, for all but a select few (and, really, the only ones that come to mind are "out of nowhere" set-ups for the RKO or the Diamond Cutter), the set-up becomes more obvious and more contrived, and if it becomes a real crowd-pleaser spot like the 619, then the set-up being contrived almost becomes the point. 

• Awards Moderator
13 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

A lot of that type of contrived set-up starts the same way - it's pulled off organically once, gets over (either with the fans or with the office), and then has to become a staple part of someone's offence. Once it becomes that, for all but a select few (and, really, the only ones that come to mind are "out of nowhere" set-ups for the RKO or the Diamond Cutter), the set-up becomes more obvious and more contrived, and if it becomes a real crowd-pleaser spot like the 619, then the set-up being contrived almost becomes the point. 

I quite enjoy that kind of laboured set-up when they play up to it. Like with the Worm. When Scotty 2 Hotty hit that bulldog facecrusher thing, and people happened to land exactly in the right position for the Worm every time, we all knew what was coming, Scotty knew we knew, and it was all part of the fun. Once you start trying to pretend it's all happening perfectly organically in a serious non-theatrical athletic kind of fashion, it doesn't work nearly as well.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I worked a show a couple of years ago with one of our guys doing live commentary. Babyface sets up for a Spear from the corner, stomping his foot, getting the crowd chanting "SPEAR! SPEAR! SPEAR!". The heel ducks out of the way of the move, and the commentator shouts out "how did he see that coming?!".

A nice twist on this was during the Omega/Moxley title match on Dynamite when Kenny starts with the "Temrinator clap" to get ready for a dive, and Moxley picks up on it and moves our of the way. Excalibur called it as that as well. Was a very nice touch.

It was like people trying to attack Tatanka when he was doing his war dance, or when Warrior was shaking the ropes and stomping around. Every time.

A lot of this, like most eager-to-please trainees will do, is focusing on the What rather than the Why or How. Hogan's Hulk Up was perfectly excusable, because that worked brilliantly in the context of the style at the time. A lot of the great faces have had their versions of the spot - Warrior's rope shaking and war dance, Sting no-selling and gorilla chest-pounding etc. But those spots were built into the flow off the match, and, more importantly were driven and controlled by the guy doing them. I don't mind the Hogan Hulk Up as much as the Cena setup, because a) punches were thrown all the time, and b) the opponent wouldn't run off to set up the big boot; Hogan would send them off. Same with the Worm (rose tints on) - Scott would give them a hard posting then position them with the face buster.

They can also be used well to establish the hierarchy on the card. Not that it happens of course, but it makes sense in a squash or other clash between two opponents from opposite ends of the card for the lower-card, 'greener' wrestler to fall for all the setups of the bigger star's gimmicky moves. But up in the main events, that's when you should see the counters. That Moxley Omega spot is a great example - you expect the big stars to have the experience, talent and smarts to counter the well known spots, so the fun is in how they avoid or finally hit them.

I don't mind Drew thigh-slapping for the Claymore - it's his finish, so it warrants that extra SFX to put the exclamation point on it. But if 'banning' certain cheap pop bad habits gets the current crop to be more sparing and smart with it, then that should be a really good thing for in-ring quality, at least for my tastes.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members

Thigh-slapping Smackdown spoiler.

Spoiler

These poor lads, catching themselves just before they slap their legs, having to actually boot people in their heads full-force instead.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

AEW really is just an amalgamation of WCW and TNA, isn’t it.

”Sign everyone fresh out of their WWE contract, and take pops at them at every opportunity.”

Yeah, behaviour exclusive to WCW and TNA. How's Billionaire Ted doing? Still running a senior's tour?

And fancy signing experienced wrestlers who are available. Vince would never do that. He grew Mick Foley, Steve Austin, Triple H,Sean Waltman, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, etc in his laboratory. 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Yeah, behaviour exclusive to WCW and TNA. How's Billionaire Ted doing? Still running a senior's tour?

And fancy signing experienced wrestlers who are available. Vince would never do that. He grew Mick Foley, Steve Austin, Triple H,Sean Waltman, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, etc in his laboratory. 

Years of WWE propaganda documentaries have clearly had an impact.

3 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

AEW really is just an amalgamation of WCW and TNA, isn’t it.

”Sign everyone fresh out of their WWE contract, and take pops at them at every opportunity.”

So exactly how many of that mass firing last April actually ended up in AEW? I mean I'd count them myself but I'm too busy watching No Way Jose Vs Aiden English from this week's Dynamite..............

People are allowed to have different opinions on here, seems to be against the majority though to say if you don’t enjoy aew.

I try watching it on itv on Fridays but only see 1-2 matches/ segments before I switch off, it’s not for me.

Out of the mass firings, I think Miro and Tay Conti were the only immediate/ soon after hirings, and considering Miro’s first promo on dynamite had a reference to brass rings, it’s an assumption that is easy to make.