WWE/Vince bans thigh-slapping

SpykeDudlei1

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Test too. The sound he made with that Big Boot was always so oddly satisfying. 

This is the one that stands out for me as the best application of the thigh slap. The Big Boot finisher did a lot of work in getting Test closer to the main event than he had been some time - it was simple, it suited his size, it came out of nowhere (and was perfect for him as a villain, blindsiding blue-eyes fighting valiantly against the odds), and, with the thigh-slap and guys selling it like they'd been shot, just looked like a brutal, plausible finisher. Made him look like a killer.

Can't remember if it was Samu or Fatu who used to make quite the crack noise when they were supposedly kicking someone in the face whilst barefoot. They made a good job of it looking legit at the time.

Edited by Perry

• Paid Members
On 3/7/2021 at 10:01 PM, SpykeDudlei1 said:

I wondered what others think about this but also got me thinking about other moves etc done in wrestling that divide opinion more than others.

Paydirt is one for me. I think it’s completely fine as the guy doing it is in control of his jump and landing and can brace for impact accordingly, but I’ve seen some people describe it as “giving yourself a Rock Bottom.”

I’ve always found certain sequences giving the game away to be ones where the guy taking the move repeats a particular spot, whether the move in question is keeping in question with his opponents usual repertoire or not. Eddie Guerrero for instance always loved to be thrown way up in the air so he could come down face first on a turnbuckle, there was a spell where every Dean Malenko match involved him receiving an inverted suplex, and of course, you can’t powerbomb Kidman.

The worst offender is the repeated contrived ways wrestlers would fall, take impact from moves or in other ways conspire to drape themselves over the middle rope when wrestling Rey Mysterio. Absolutely dreadful.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tamura said:

While it's easy to blame the thigh-slappers for being so blatant, I'd imagine it's hard to be subtle in this day and age. When you've got lots of cameras filming at any one time and absolutely no clue which one the button mashing producer will be using, it's not en easy task to hide things. 

This, plus the shift to HD. Much harder to hide things from the cameras when there's that much clarity - and thus far WWE's attempt to counter that have been through nauseating camera cuts, not tighter work or avoiding too many rapid strikes in the first place.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, air_raid said:

The worst offender is the repeated contrived ways wrestlers would fall, take impact from moves or in other ways conspire to drape themselves over the middle rope when wrestling Rey Mysterio. Absolutely dreadful.

I hated when Del Rio used the double stomp as his finisher, and not only did his opponent have to get himself into a tree of woe spot, he then had to hold himself up in place for an eternity until Del Rio hit the stomp.  The way to counter the move was literally just not to hold yourself in place.

Also hate Mark Andrews' Stundog Millionaire move which requires your opponent giving you a vertical suplex in order to execute.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, bbabba said:

Also hate Mark Andrews' Stundog Millionaire move which requires your opponent giving you a vertical suplex in order to execute.

Would you hate is as much if it didn't have a name, and was just "reversing a suplex into a stunner"?

9 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Would you hate is as much if it didn't have a name, and was just "reversing a suplex into a stunner"?

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a natural counter to a move his opponent is known for, but it always comes out in the home straight when both should be going for pinfalls. Darby Allin's over the shoulder somersault stunner is much better, as it's basically a little guy clambering all over you before jacking your jaw. The stundog always, always, looks like he's just been thrown into position. There's no sense of a counter or change of bodily control at all.

Rey Fenix's nipup super kick after a super kick is getting just as bad. The first time I saw it against Penta, it was an incredible counter that utterly worked in the story and style of the match. Since then, he's done it at least twice in far less consequential matches, so now I guess it's just a thing he does? Is he waiting to get possibly knocked out?

23 hours ago, bbabba said:

I hated when Del Rio used the double stomp as his finisher, and not only did his opponent have to get himself into a tree of woe spot, he then had to hold himself up in place for an eternity until Del Rio hit the stomp.  The way to counter the move was literally just not to hold yourself in place.

100%. Just like the set up for Cena’s ‘you can’t see me’ fist drop when his opponent would have to swing a clothesline attempt that would always miss so he could duck and deliver the back suplex.

7 hours ago, SpykeDudlei1 said:

100%. Just like the set up for Cena’s ‘you can’t see me’ fist drop when his opponent would have to swing a clothesline attempt that would always miss so he could duck and deliver the back suplex.

Throwing a clothesline and holding yourself up in the corner are not comparable. A clothesline is a natural thing to have in a match. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, SpykeDudlei1 said:

30 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

Throwing a clothesline and holding yourself up in the corner are not comparable. A clothesline is a natural thing to have in a match. 

It’s the sequence, not the strike itself. The opponent has to take a shoulder tackle, react by just running straight into another shoulder tackle, then react by throwing wildly at Cena so he can duck to hit the Protobomb.... exactly like the previous 30 Cena opponents. Always looks like “two guys doing a sequence” instead of one going doing moves to the other.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

It’s the sequence, not the strike itself, exactly like the previous 30 opponents. Always looks like “two guys doing a sequence” instead of one going doing moves to the other.

I'm with you on this, especially when it involves someone doing a move they would never normally do. 

"Oh look, he's doing a flying forearm instead of his usual back elbow. This is an odd tactic as everyone else that has faced this particular opponent has tried for a flying forearm and had it reversed. Let's hope he...... oh how about that? He countered the flying forearm".

• Paid Members

I worked a show a couple of years ago with one of our guys doing live commentary. Babyface sets up for a Spear from the corner, stomping his foot, getting the crowd chanting "SPEAR! SPEAR! SPEAR!". The heel ducks out of the way of the move, and the commentator shouts out "how did he see that coming?!".

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

I'm with you on this, especially when it involves someone doing a move they would never normally do. 

"Oh look, he's doing a flying forearm instead of his usual back elbow. This is an odd tactic as everyone else that has faced this particular opponent has tried for a flying forearm and had it reversed. Let's hope he...... oh how about that? He countered the flying forearm".

I remember in the 90s, the running gag of wrestlers backstage wondering why they felt compelled to try and powerbomb Billy Kidman. "I don't know why I did that. I never use a powerbomb. But something... I just felt I had to do it. Please help me."

On 3/15/2021 at 5:41 PM, air_raid said:

Same with Brie Bella.   Her opponents conventiently tumble into the middle of the bottom rope ready for her knee, in a way they never fall when wrestling against other opponents.   The worst was Rumble 2018 when she makes her entrance and 4 wrestlers just happen to all be lying on the bottom rope ready for her kick.