WWE/Vince bans thigh-slapping

SpykeDudlei1

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Exactly. It’s one thing to correctly mock McMahon for being a weird carny promoter who’s so far gone from reality that he can’t be trusted to communicate with press, but then all it took was one failed explosion and Khan was just as bad as Vince. Same with the Bucks after Spears smashed in Cody’s head with a chair shot. Getting all defensive and shitty instead of just admitting your mistakes. Jog on.

Less so with the Bucks, but more so with Khan, I think coming up with good answers that immediately after something happened is tough. Especially while trying to navigate your way out of a disaster.

Within a week, Omega was out telling Meltzer that it was clearly a screw-up and it went better in rehearsal. He's hardly going against the company by doing so - so they are fessing up. But so shortly after it happened, they haven't figured out what they're going to do. The line about 'what do you expect, we blow people up?' was really weird, because it clearly wasn't what they planned on showing - but I can easily imagine trying to ham-fistedly make a point about "well, it's got to look good but be safe".

Basically, I'll give a little more of a pass to unscripted, off-the-cuff press conferences than I would to longer-term stuff. I've done work in comms, and if someone isn't prepared when they go out, it's a really tough position. You're trying not to say things that could cause problems for others (and looking back, that was exactly the issue with the Bucks - Cody has talked about what went wrong with the chairshot and who knew what, and the Bucks didn't know enough to talk about it). Problem is, you're trying to kind of say nothing, and that can go wrong. 

I'm not going to say they won't mislead - I think Khan doubling down on the mystery debut was a much worse bit of carny bullshit. But I think the post-show press stuff isn't as much that.