WWE/Vince bans thigh-slapping

SpykeDudlei1

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Danny Franchetti’s Jazzbox said:

People are allowed to have different opinions on here

Yes, they are. And we are expressing ours. 👍

4 hours ago, Danny Franchetti’s Jazzbox said:

seems to be against the majority though to say if you don’t enjoy aew.

That must mean there's a secret clique! Or, you know, some people just like AEW? No one is forcing you to like it, but if you don't, you can probably expect people who do to disagree. That's how those different opinions you love work.

There are lots of criticisms of AEW that no one will argue with. Have a craic at Marko Stunt, Shawn Spears, QT Marshall, Jim Ross, the Gunn lads, the booking of the women, their performer's safety, etc. It's an open goal. Go full Cornette if you want.

Other stuff will be a matter of taste. That's why the Dynamite thread is the busiest week after week. Love them or not, there's plenty of us who'd be watching no wrestling if it wasn't for them. While it's not for me, you can say exactly the same about TNA. Their 7 fans aren't watching Raw and developing ADHD every Monday. Why else are they running a show against WrestleMania? Unthinkable once upon a time but they're confident enough that they have a separate segment of the audience. Just think, WrestleMania on one channel. TNA on another. Finally makes Mrs Brown's Boys sound appealing. 

Regards,

Tony Khan

• Paid Members

if I could change one thing in history, I wouldn’t kill Hitler, I wouldn’t warn anyone about COVID and I wouldn’t give myself winning lottery numbers. I’d go back and stop AEW ever saying the phrase, “sports-based alternative.” It’s resulted in the most boring, empty criticism of AEW. I’d honestly prefer to read morons still talking about, “PG SUX.”

I mean I've gone from hugely doubting AEW and being annoyed at some of their false promises to generally enjoying the product and the discussion on here. It's almost as if people can actually change their minds as they go along. Or I've been brainwashed by the UKFF clique. Who knows. Good arrows.

• Paid Members

They never said they would be a "sports-based alternative", and it was obvious from their roster that they were never going to be. What they said was "sports-based presentation"; the ranking system, press conferences, the formatting of the shows leans far more in that direction than WWE does.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

It certainly isn't the "sports-based alternative" to WWE that Tony Khan was touting. Just WWE-style wrestling with a different cast of characters. It's not terrible, but it's quite disappointing.

The term "sports based alternative" is a completely meaningless term because wrestling isn't a sport and can't be presented as one. The only way you could do it is some kind of league table but that doesn't work because the stuff that people actually like about wrestling (characters, angles, storylines, skits and promos) is the complete opposite of sports.

• Paid Members

They have been more sports-like in their presentation with the title eliminator tournaments, win-loss records and rankings. I wonder whether it'd be worth them doing some round robin, like the Best Of Super Juniors or G1 to get a new contender established for the world title or the TNT title. The only danger is that it could have the stink of those bullshirt TNA "Bound For Glory" series where they try and have a 20 man round robin over the space of 3 weeks and ended up having to chuick everybody in a battle royal or just dropping the idea. 2 groups of 4-6, with the top 2 from each group having a single elimination tournament on a PPV could be a nice change and give some build. Obviously you can then have some rivalried get played into as well to establish a few other feuds.You could even use the win-loss records to establish seedings.

• Paid Members

The irony is that if AEW was a wanky, ROH-in-the-first-few-months, sport-based company it’d be an infinitely shitter product that’d cop far more criticism and would be far less successful.

Barely anyone actually wants hyper-realistic sports-based pro-wrestling, with no characters or storylines. At least not at a mainstream level. You might say you do when you’re thirteen and you’ve just discovered the internet but it’s bollocks. Most of us got into this for the exact same reason and it wasn’t for the pure love of the pure in-ring wrestling in spite of everything else.

That’s why I always take criticisms of AEW being too similar to WWE with a huge pinch of salt. Ultimately, that’s exactly what I want. I love WWE - when it’s good. There’s nothing better. I want the big angles, the mad characters, crazy surprises and the huge gimmick matches. “WWE alternative,” doesn’t have to mean doing everything the polar opposite to WWE. Now more than ever it can just mean doing what WWE does but doing it far better than they do.

I know it’s all a matter of taste, but even if AEW isn’t your thing I can’t imagine anyone trying to argue that they weren’t at their best when doing WWE-style pro-wrestling successfully and to a high level. Imagine coming out of something like that Winter Is Coming episode of Dynamite and pretending you weren’t grinning from ear to ear when Sting debuted or when Omega did the big angle at the end. If you came out of that show thinking league tables would’ve been preferable then you might as well shout this opinion straight into a bin.

Edited by Supremo

making fun of the thigh slapping ban doesn't seem too out of sorts, it's taking the piss out of a weird company foible rather than talent or anything. It isn't exactly Shane Douglas in a car park with balloons, or Shane Douglas buying a ticket to RAW and getting thrown out, or Shane Douglas phoning  Bill Busch

• Paid Members

I can’t decide if there’s a place for taking the piss out of the competition anymore. There’s no denying there was a level of fun and coolness from WCW and WWE taking shots in the 90s, but now? It feels like arguing and bragging over crumbs. What even is the difference of a couple of hundred thousand viewers? Dozens of Nielsen boxes? Hundreds at most? Jericho in particular arguing they lost the overall viewers but won the demos was the most, “but actually,” tragic thing ever. 

Plus, I think you should only be acting the Billy Big Bollocks when you’re absolutely trouncing the competition and you’ve got all your shit in order. It was like when Taz was saying WWE was running a, “sloppy shop,” in regards to COVID regulations, yet at the same time Moxley and Janela were wrestling at GCW events full of fans with no masks or social distancing. Your house needs to be fully made of bricks, with zero windows, before you start chucking stones.

Edited by Supremo

1 minute ago, Supremo said:

I can’t decide if there’s a place for taking the piss out of the competition anymore. There’s no denying there was a level of fun and coolness from WCW and WWE taking shots in the 90s, but now? It feels like arguing and bragging over crumbs. What even is the difference of a couple of hundred thousand viewers? Dozens of Nielsen boxes? Hundreds at most? Jericho in particular arguing they lost the overall viewers but won the demos was the,  most, “but actually,” tragic thing ever. 

Plus, I think you should only be acting the Billy Big Bollocks when you’re absolutely trouncing the competition and you’ve got all your shit in order. It was like when Taz was saying WWE was running a, “sloppy shop,” in regards to COVID regulations, yet at the same time Moxley and Janela were wrestling at GCW events full of fans with no masks. Your house needs to be fully made of bricks, with zero windows, before you start chucking stones.

That's kinda how I feel about Tony Khan. I mean he's doing a great job and seems far more supportive of the talent etc but unless he's got absolutely NO skeletons in the closet, he's probably better off just getting on with it and doing what he does well. I know we're probably all hardwired to believe everyone in the industry is a bit scummy anyway..

• Paid Members

Exactly. It’s one thing to correctly mock McMahon for being a weird carny promoter who’s so far gone from reality that he can’t be trusted to communicate with press, but then all it took was one failed explosion and Khan was just as bad as Vince. Same with the Bucks after Spears smashed in Cody’s head with a chair shot. Getting all defensive and shitty instead of just admitting your mistakes. Jog on.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

That's kinda how I feel about Tony Khan. I mean he's doing a great job and seems far more supportive of the talent etc but unless he's got absolutely NO skeletons in the closet

He's an awkward fucking nerd who has probably never had a girlfriend. I doubt he even goes outdoors enough to have skeletons in his closet.

• Paid Members

That T-shirt was in the screen for about half a second. Who cares? It's a tiny easter egg that will pop some people, some won't notice and some won't care. Who is going to be offended? I'd say WWE fanboys and girls but honestly, if there even are WWE fanboys these days, considering how utterly disgusting a company they are, then that offends me too much to care what they think.