WWE/Vince bans thigh-slapping

SpykeDudlei1

8 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

Tajiri was a big one. I knew that they were slapping thighs to create the sound- I was bullied and beat up as a kid, so I knew it didn't sound like that when you got kicked. But I could never catch Tajiri in the act- he was so quick and adept at hiding it.

Oh, and Shawn Michaels with the Sweet Chin

Hahaha it never even crossed my mind Tijiri and Michaels were synthesising their own impact noise. They had me well and truly worked. Feel a bit sad knowing how the magic trick is done now, but actually admire the skill of the guys who pulled it off so well. 

I rarely threw kicks requiring a thigh-slap when I trod the boards, but it's genuinely a difficult habit to resist, especially if you've worked for years, and chucked a zillion thigh-slappers into your daily routine. If I have to kick open a door, even now, because my hands are full, I still feel the pull to lay skin-to-skin. There should be a help-line.  

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Tajiri also had the benefit of wearing those baggy pelather pants, which likely helped him hide the slapping. 

He was also simply a much better worker than the majority of the slappy boys these days. Tajiri is hugely underrated. 

Rey Mysterio also wore pleather baggies, and he was a terrible slapper. Tajiri did it the proper way, where the hand moves in one direction and slaps the thigh as it goes past, instead of a big up-down movement that's contrary to the direction his body is moving in and drawing attention to it.

Big Tajiri fanboy here.

• Paid Members

Kane used to slap his forearm on one of his signature strikes; it couldn't have been more obvious, but somehow just looked like it was part of the same motion, same goes for Goldust.

Sabu used to hit different parts of his body for different strikes; I've heard people talk about watching him work, actively looking out for where he was creating the noise, and still missing it 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Kane used to slap his forearm on one of his signature strikes; it couldn't have been more obvious, but somehow just looked like it was part of the same motion, same goes for Goldust.

Yeah, that seems to be the case for most who do that throat-jab uppercut, Christian too.

I always liked that strike - when I was training, I always wanted to include that in my MOVESET, because it looked good, when hit right it could cover botches because it slightly jars the crowd too, and it looks like one of those "equaliser" strikes that smaller guys can use to turn the tide.

I don't mind thigh slaps IF the wrestler can do it. But it's so blatant alot of the time that it looks contrived and ridiculous. Michaels was a great example of someone who did it brilliantly. You can do a side slap which is much more subtle or even the chest if you can do it well. A side version isn't noticed as much as the kick is a distraction. 

This is really a non event. If you can make it look good you don't need to do hokey shit. 

40 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

Michaels was a great example of someone who did it brilliantly. You can do a side slap which is much more subtle or even the chest if you can do it well. A side version isn't noticed as much as the kick is a distraction. 

I'm pretty sure he used to slap the standing leg with that side's hand, so basically as far away as possible from the kick everyone was looking at. Slapping the front of the thigh of the leg you're actually kicking with is unforgivable. Absolutely no attempt of sleight of hand, and the kind of thing that stands out a mile to non-fans.

While it's easy to blame the thigh-slappers for being so blatant, I'd imagine it's hard to be subtle in this day and age. When you've got lots of cameras filming at any one time and absolutely no clue which one the button mashing producer will be using, it's not en easy task to hide things. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Tamura said:

While it's easy to blame the thigh-slappers for being so blatant, I'd imagine it's hard to be subtle in this day and age. When you've got lots of cameras filming at any one time and absolutely no clue which one the button mashing producer will be using, it's not en easy task to hide things. 

Nah, there's been guys who are shit at it for years. It would have been 2004/5 when I saw Hassan doing the bizarre chain-reaction thigh-slappy kick, and there were plenty of guys before that who were very obvious and open about it.

I think sometimes there's folk doing it, and they don't know why they're doing it. They just see it being done, accept that it's a thing, and do it themselves. Remember when Ken Anderson was getting criticised for doing things that didn't make sense, and his response was "Steve Austin does it"? Same thing.