WWE Royal Rumble 2021

tiger_rick

It kinda makes sense to have Brock win the Rumble:

- Avenges last years Rumble loss

- Can tease a rematch vs Drew

- Can tease a match vs Roman with Heyman being stuck in the middle. Will Heyman screw Reigns or Brock?

They can milk his decision for weeks.

Drew vs Goldberg is probably end up in a no-contest so they can do a re-match at Mania.

I reckon Brock is nr. 30 entrant and eliminates Daniel Bryan to win.

On 1/22/2021 at 11:37 PM, The Dart said:

The first In Your House we got on TV was "Return of Taker" April 1997, which was shown live.

They were just mystery events before then that we'd see photos of on Raw and then 6 months later buy the VHS.

Except the one in December 1996 - see if anyone else remembers this....there was a weird special, just for us on Sky One, hosted by Dok Hendrix, called WWF Boxing Day or something like that, and it was pretty much the whole of the December 1996 In Your House but with Dok Hendrix opening presents (merchandise) and explaining the history of Boxing Day in between matches.

6 hours ago, Mikeymike83 said:

I'd have an educated guess on WrestleMania XI being the first PPV that started the ongoing live showings plus a replay on the Tuesday. The only thing I recall was with the Rumble in 95 being interrupted with Sky TV adverts harping on about the OJ trial. After that, I don't recall there ever being ad breaks in any other show.

(My recording of Rumble 97 did have ad breaks but not sure if that was because my dad forgot to press record on the Sunday night, so ended up taping the replay).

I have a funny feeling that even though we had been getting PPVs live at that point, for some reason, Rumble 97 wasn't shown live here.

I remember the Dox Hendrix sky one special. I was over the moon I could finally watch a ppv without it being on vhs. only problem was my family were all coming over so i missed bit of it and had to watch it without sound as everyone was talking over the top of it.

On 1/23/2021 at 4:02 AM, MEGABUCKS said:

Survivor Series 94 was live and so was Royal Rumble 95, Wrestlemania 11, KOR 95 and Survivor Series 95. Everything remained live till Survivor Series 96

Yep, Survivor Series 96 and Royal Rumble 97 were not live. Between September 96 and February 97 Sky went through a weird phase when all WWF programming was 2 weeks behind the US for some reason. 

2 hours ago, Perry said:

Yep, Survivor Series 96 and Royal Rumble 97 were not live. Between September 96 and February 97 Sky went through a weird phase when all WWF programming was 2 weeks behind the US for some reason. 

I wish we got the US version of Shotgun Saturday night during that time

• Paid Members

yeah, they've done it before where someone has won a match to earn the #30 spot, or just been gifted it, and I don't mind that so much. Giving it away on Backstage is weirder, but it's become a bit of a running theme that people hype themselves up for the #30 entrant to be someone really exciting and surprising, and it very rarely is. If there's no plan to make it a big return or surprise, no harm in nipping that in the bud.

And even then, there's always the scope to do the old "entrant gets attacked and someone steals their spot" if they decide to go back on it anyway.

I remember in 96 when Triple H and Henry Godwinn had a match on the Free For All and the winner got the number 30 spot while the loser had to start the Rumble match.

EDIT  My mistake, it was Duke the Dumpster not Henry Godwinn 

Edited by Perry

• Awards Moderator

I think it was 2001 that made a really big deal of the #30 position, really drummed it into my head that it was an important thing worth having qualifying matches or otherwise fighting for. Might have been Rikishi who had it that year.

I also liked it when they'd have the lottery/bingo style drawing your number throughout the show. At least until 2006 and Rey's "Eddie's playing tricks on me from beyond the grave" reaction.