WWE Royal Rumble 2021

tiger_rick

5 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Can anyone recall how WWE pay per views were airing in 1996? I’m convinced my first taste of pro-wrestling was tuning into the 96 Royal Rumble whilst flicking through the channels. Did it air at a normal time?

I think all of the PPV's were shown live by Sky Sports by 1996, certainly WM12 was live at 1am (or 12am). I do remember sitting up to watch it, I'm sure all of the Back to the Future movies were on sci-fi channel and I watched all of them and then WM. 

I guess there may have been repeats during the week too, but I can't recall for sure.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Can anyone recall how WWE pay per views were airing in 1996? I’m convinced my first taste of pro-wrestling was tuning into the 96 Royal Rumble whilst flicking through the channels. Did it air at a normal time?

Weirdly, the 96 Rumble is one of my early memories too - for years I had a false memory of a Rumble with two identical twin sumo wrestlers in it, where one was eliminated but got back in and the ref couldn't tell which one was legal. All I can figure is that a kid I amalgamated the Headhunters' brief appearance and Yokozuna into a single gimmick. 

But I can't have seen the whole show, unless Sky did air it mid-afternoon at some point. So I assume they must have just played part of the match on one of the highlight shows.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

We got rid of sky just before Summerslam 95 so I watched PPV replays at a friends house after school starting with Rumble 96. I can't remember if it was the Monday or the Tuesday.

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

I'm pretty certain the '96 Rumble was shown live (at midnight). I don't think the IYH shows were being shown at this stage though. We'd got Sky in my gaff at the end of '95. I jumped straight back into WWF to see what was going on. I'm going to say it was 5pm weekday slots at this point, Raw on the Friday. I'd picked up just after Bret had nabbed the belt back from Big D. I remember the Bret-Bulldog IYH being built (got a hazy memory of Davey being interviewed at home with his Crimbo decs up), but not being able to watch that IYH. So Rumble was the first PPV i had the chance to see with this wonderful new world of Sky. Naturally i taped it and feigned being too sick for school the next day.

On the Scott Hall never appearing in a Rumble - it's one of my favourite weird Rumble  facts that Razor Ramon only ever appeared in one Royal Rumble match and it was fake Razor. 

I'd have an educated guess on WrestleMania XI being the first PPV that started the ongoing live showings plus a replay on the Tuesday. The only thing I recall was with the Rumble in 95 being interrupted with Sky TV adverts harping on about the OJ trial. After that, I don't recall there ever being ad breaks in any other show.

(My recording of Rumble 97 did have ad breaks but not sure if that was because my dad forgot to press record on the Sunday night, so ended up taping the replay).

11 minutes ago, Mikeymike83 said:

(My recording of Rumble 97 did have ad breaks but not sure if that was because my dad forgot to press record on the Sunday night, so ended up taping the replay).

It was replayed on the Tuesday evening that week as I'd got cable (member Cable?????) on the Monday. I think it cut out a whole match. Cant remember which though, as to be honest they were all terrible.

8 hours ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

I'm pretty certain the '96 Rumble was shown live (at midnight). I don't think the IYH shows were being shown at this stage though.

The first In Your House we got on TV was "Return of Taker" April 1997, which was shown live.

They were just mystery events before then that we'd see photos of on Raw and then 6 months later buy the VHS.

Except the one in December 1996 - see if anyone else remembers this....there was a weird special, just for us on Sky One, hosted by Dok Hendrix, called WWF Boxing Day or something like that, and it was pretty much the whole of the December 1996 In Your House but with Dok Hendrix opening presents (merchandise) and explaining the history of Boxing Day in between matches.

6 hours ago, Mikeymike83 said:

I'd have an educated guess on WrestleMania XI being the first PPV that started the ongoing live showings plus a replay on the Tuesday. The only thing I recall was with the Rumble in 95 being interrupted with Sky TV adverts harping on about the OJ trial. After that, I don't recall there ever being ad breaks in any other show.

I have a funny feeling that even though we had been getting PPVs live at that point, for some reason, Rumble 97 wasn't shown live here.

Edited by The Dart

Royal Rumble 1997 wasn't shown live in the UK. I remember having to watch it the way SuperBacon did on the following Tuesday on replay. and it was the same for Survivor Series 1996. I got Sky TV at home in August 1996 after Summerslam 1996(which I went to one of my uncle's house to watch live at midnight) Big trip down memory lane here as I remember the adverts on Raw is War in lead up to Wrestlemania 13 and it was supposed to be shown on delay here until one Friday it suddenly appeared that it was going to be shown live on Sky Sports and then came with it were the In Your House shows being shown live too on same platform and that a big deal had been signed.

I usually skim through wrestling now but do check out parts of each weekly show and catch up on the PPV's the following day unless it's Royal Rumble or Wrestlemania which I will try to stay up for through the night if possible. The Rumble match itself I usually enjoy and try to go through the previous ones over the years before the new one is on. I watched the Royal Rumble Match from 1992 a few days ago and now about to watch the Royal Rumble Match 1993. 

• Paid Members

Thanks for the information guys.

Yeah - I must have caught a replay or a seen it on Todd Pettengill‘s Action Zone or something, but Royal Rumble 1996 was the first bit of pro-wrestling I caught and it pressed a button in my brain that I’ve never managed to turn off. All these mad, colourful characters coming in at timed intervals, Shawn Michaels eventually winning with the Superkick. I was hooked for life.

Love the Rumble. Even the bad ones. They’ve got their work cut out for them without a crowd, and they’re going to struggle to top last year’s which was the best in ages, but the usual excitement is still there. Even more so after reading @tiger_rick’s stats. Great job as always!

I’m assuming we can use this thread for both Royal Rumble memories and discussion about this year’s event, so here goes.

There was a creepy lad in our school who didn’t even like pro-wrestling, but because of how many people had talked about seeing The Kat’s tits at Armageddon 1999 he decided to stay up and watch Royal Rumble 2000 on Channel 4. I don’t think he had proper internet yet so was looking for any wank material he could find. I remember he came storming into school the next day absolutely furious about Mae Young. 21 years on I still love the idea of a horny teenager staying up until the early hours of the morning, dick in hand as the Bikini Contest starts, only for an old woman to strip off and ruin his night. Brilliant.

I’m really hoping they use last year as a blueprint and keep using the Rumble to truly pull the trigger and make a star for the foreseeable future. Rhea Ripley seems tailor made for it. She’s doing fuck all in NXT. Being her in to dominate and send her to Smackdown as a top star.

Edited by Supremo

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Rhea Ripley seems tailor made for it. She’s doing fuck all in NXT. Being her in to dominate and send her to Smackdown as a top star.

I'd have her and Bianca as the last two. I think Bianca needs the win at this point just because she's on a roll and being built up towards it, but Rhea should get a really good showing out of it too. Shove Charlotte in the Rumble (just checked - she's already in) and let Rhea get some revenge.

Edited by DavidB6937

• Paid Members

I can't see past Charlotte going back-to-back then challenging Asuka at Mania while they are still tag champs, to be honest.

That said, I find it hard to envisage them putting anyone other than Charlotte over in basically anything.

39 minutes ago, Statto said:

I can't see past Charlotte going back-to-back then challenging Asuka at Mania while they are still tag champs, to be honest.

That said, I find it hard to envisage them putting anyone other than Charlotte over in basically anything.

I suppose they could have Lacey eliminate her with the assistance of Ric on the outside ala the 92 Rumble with Hogan and Sid.