Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members

People's ignorance to queues is always a mystery to me. Yes, I am THAT person that says aloud "I'm just stood here for my health" when people try to jump in front because they consider their inconvenience a bigger deal than mine.

43 minutes ago, stumobir said:

Similarly, who’s queuing at the gate before the plane hasn’t even pulled up? Do they know they have preallocated seats?

I’ll raise you ‘Priority Boarding’. The only people that should be to apply to those who may in wheelchairs or who may need some other kind of assistance.

If that doesn’t apply, then you’re just a chump paying extra to get on first and thereby wait the longest for the plane to take off

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I can see the argument for wanting to make sure you get space for your bags - nothing worse than having to get up and walk against the flow of people getting off the plane to find your bag in a locker over a completely different seat - but then it seems like most of the people paying for "speedy boarding" are often the same people who are putting jackets, handbags and carrier bags up there and nothing under the seat in front of them or whatnot anyway, so that problem is easily solved by just having more sense about what you travel with and where you put it anyway.

The other extreme, though, is an old colleague's husband who wouldn't go to the gate until his name had specifically been called. 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

The other extreme, though, is an old colleague's husband who wouldn't go to the gate until his name had specifically been called. 

Why would you shithouse a whole plane? Especially one that you're about to board and are delaying. Much like @air_raid I'm that prick that says "Take your time, John".

15 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’ll raise you ‘Priority Boarding’. The only people that should be to apply to those who may in wheelchairs or who may need some other kind of assistance.

If that doesn’t apply, then you’re just a chump paying extra to get on first and thereby wait the longest for the plane to take off

Funnily enough Vietnam actually outlawed the practice of selling speedy boarding passes this week after one budget airline's desk staff were caught letting a queue mount up so they could sell on the spot passes (pocketing the money) rather than man extra desks. This version also included check in which apart from the scummy thing the staff did I'm not opposed to. But able bodied people without kids shouldn't be boarding first in any circumstances. I've got a son now and it's the one thing I get to look forward to when flying! 

14 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I can see the argument for wanting to make sure you get space for your bags - nothing worse than having to get up and walk against the flow of people getting off the plane to find your bag in a locker over a completely different seat - but then it seems like most of the people paying for "speedy boarding" are often the same people who are putting jackets, handbags and carrier bags up there and nothing under the seat in front of them or whatnot anyway, so that problem is easily solved by just having more sense about what you travel with and where you put it anyway.

Another tale from the far East but here we had an issue for years of passengers from a certain country being caught rummaging through bags of people who had to put them further up the plane. Due to that I'm paranoid to have my bag behind me and if I must every valuable item comes out. 

As for the guy who waits for his name to be called, he is a turd. 

• 2 weeks later...

Remember when people used to talk about TV magic? Not like The Paul Daniels Show, but the efforts made by lighting directors and sound crews and make-up artists to overcome the limitations of the medium. Using cows as horses, and so on.

Well that seems to have gone out the fucking window. Obviously technology's moved on, so a lot of the considerations required in the 1950s don't apply in the HD era, but here's one that always will: making everything too dark on screen to see what the fuck's going on.

Maybe their intended audience is Londoners unaware that the blitz is over, but the rest of us are unlikely to be watching in pitch black conditions. So when the pallette becomes reduced to between Midnight Charcoal and Thatcher's Heart, all I'm looking at is reflections of my own furniture.

You can dim the lights on set and have characters comment on how dark it is, blinking to adjust after bumping their shins, and we'll get the idea without us having to adjust our own surroundings to be able to keep watching.

Just like you can trust us to know that gunshots are loud without making us reach for the remote during shooty bits, only to miss the dialogue in between bullets.

.....I'm just getting old, aren't I?

• Paid Members

Mrs raid likes watching the property brothers programs with those Scott twins. That could just be the whole post to be honest, but what annoys me is when they take the selling parties shopping for the “reno” (ugh) for the house they’re selling in between looking for a new house, and they get overly precious about the tiles/fabrics etc. Why do you give a shit about how the house is getting tarted up for sale??? YOU ARENT GOING TO BE LIVING THERE, why do you care???

4 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Mrs raid likes watching the property brothers programs with those Scott twins. That could just be the whole post to be honest, but what annoys me is when they take the selling parties shopping for the “reno” (ugh) for the house they’re selling in between looking for a new house, and they get overly precious about the tiles/fabrics etc. Why do you give a shit about how the house is getting tarted up for sale??? YOU ARENT GOING TO BE LIVING THERE, why do you care???

You got to make sure you sell to the right family, otherwise next thing you know they’re putting in a Cow Mailbox

• Paid Members

When the words are wrong on Apple Music. Song was a massive hit nearly 20 years before the platform was launched and been transcribed a thousand times. It’s not hard to find the lyrics online, so how in the world does “and the thunder rolls” become “in the front row”??? Listen to the fucking song, it’s not even the correct number of syllables!

• Paid Members

When your other - better - half is feeling under the weather or a bit gloomy about something like a work assignment and every single one of your suggestions is batted off until there are no other options.

Would you like a glass of water dear? No? Perhaps some ice to cool you down? No? Would you like me to grab the fan from the office for you? No? A cold flannel? No? Some paracetamol or Ibuprofen? No?....Ok dear, what do you think would help? 'I don't know'. Well, in that case I'll leave to you to die alone on the sofa. Miserable cow. 

I should say such instances are very rare in the this household and I'm a lucky chap. But I am a simple man and I need simple instructions. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Joe Blog said:

I think the simple instruction there was ‘fuck off and leave me alone’ she was just polite and said No a few times to lessen the blow. 

I'd have thought this initially - but I was asked for assistance in the first place. So like a good person I put my thinking cap on to try and assist her in her time of need. Alas, no dice. 

1971890012_Screenshot2022-08-16at12_13_49.png.c5bdd9ed4a6f7b5ef93e7c75da88fa0b.png

"Well fuck you if you're not doing small talk, I'm not going to help us out"