Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, deathrey said:

Similarly, people who say 'that's so funny' instead of actually laughing. I have a cousin who does this and it winds me up more than it should do.

The flipside of this is that my niece, when she was about 6-8, used to respond to all of my brother's jokes with something like, "...I suppose it makes sense". Just the most brutal critique imaginable. 

On 6/25/2022 at 11:31 AM, Uncle Zeb said:

Feeling a rush of excitement on discovering a programme called The Pogmentary, only to then see it's about some football player.

I saw this too and felt the same. Especially since I bought this the other day...

DSC_0174

• Paid Members

When journalists can’t use the language properly. Just read the BBC use “saleable” when they mean sellable. It’s really not hard, that one.

A bloke at my work says "penultimately" when he means "ultimately" i.e ".......And when you think about it, penultimately it's our responsibility to make sure xyz gets done". Like, what comes after we get it done then?

He's a fucking goldmine for incorrectly using phrases or messing them up completely, like a Yorkshire Biff Tannen. My favourites include, after someone dropped and broke a plate "Oooh, it's like a Chinese restaurant in here" and on a similar geographical front he once said he wouldn't do something for "all the gold in China".

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Currently queuing at an airport. People in front of me were in the wrong queue, and rather than apologising, feeling a bit of an idiot, and going to where they're supposed to be, are kicking up a fuss because, "well, it's not very clear, is it?!"

Seemed clear enough to everyone else in this queue, and in the one you're meant to be in. Funny, that.

• Paid Members
On 6/28/2022 at 5:22 AM, air_raid said:

Forgive me if I’ve mentioned before my mate/“boss” who constantly develops buzz phrases and drives them into the ground. His last one was “call to action” but he stopped when I started messaging him pictures of the Lex Express.

My boss always uses the buzzword "solutionize". Gets right on my tits. I looked it up and it actually means to charge blindly into coming up with a solution without having a clear idea of what the problem actually is which sums up her way of working, the useless bint.

Another boss used to say "solutioneering", "creative thinking" or "blue sky thinking"....why she couldn't just say "thinking" I have no idea. 

• Paid Members
On 7/12/2022 at 4:49 PM, scratchdj said:

Any social media video that features the words "Wait til the end" or "Wait for it..." 

This! 

The reason this is a 'thing' is because depending on the platform, the video is 'rewarded' for its retention rate. For instance, if you have a 10-minute YouTube video and your audience watches it most of the way through, YouTube's algorithm then makes it pop up in the YouTube search results and thus it gets more promotion. Same with longer form content on Facebook - some of those videos are ridiculous because they tease you for so long (WATCH ME FILL UP A WHOLE TUB WITH COKE AND MENTOS!!) and ultimately the payoff is shite. But because you watched it all the way through, Facebook will then promote it and it'll show up on more feeds. That's why content creators give it the whole 'watch 'till the end' business as an additional prompt.

...What I'm trying to say is that there's no hope for the planet and we should all just give up now. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter
Bollocks

• Paid Members

another airport-y one, but last night, people shoving past me and forcing their way through a queue of people while shouting "I'M RUNNING LATE". Yes, we all are, we just got off the same delayed flight, you prick.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

another airport-y one, but last night, people shoving past me and forcing their way through a queue of people while shouting "I'M RUNNING LATE". Yes, we all are, we just got off the same delayed flight, you prick.

The flip side to that, the absolute helmets that once at the bottom of the escalator in a station then run for a tube. I’m sure that 60 second wait for the next one will make all the difference.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I used to do regular flights and would always stay sat until I was last getting off, because I knew I'd then be last on the bus and first off at the gate to get through passport control. 

I'd try and look extra smug for anyone in the queue who'd been pushing to get stood up the minute we landed or be first down the steps. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Doesn't really work when there's more than one bus though does it?

No, but there never was. I was always on the same short flights between the same 2 small airports so it was the same routine every time. 

Edit: I tell a lie, there was 2 one side but they would always drive off as a pair after everyone was off. No idea why. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

Human behaviour is weird when it comes to airplanes and airports. Despite announcements saying to remain in your seats, as soon as the plane’s on the tarmac all you hear is people’s seatbelts going clack-clack-clack as they’re being undone, then everyone grabbing their bags and cases out of the overhead lockers just to stand in the aisle for 10 minutes. Just sit the fuck down.

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

Human behaviour is weird when it comes to airplanes and airports. Despite announcements saying to remain in your seats, as soon as the plane’s on the tarmac all you hear is people’s seatbelts going clack-clack-clack as they’re being undone, then everyone grabbing their bags and cases out of the overhead lockers just to stand in the aisle for 10 minutes. Just sit the fuck down.

Plus as soon as the seat belt light is off and the first few rows are stood, all the subsequent rows do it. I’m never in a rush so I stay sat as long as I like because I don’t see the point in standing a line for ten minutes then shuffling along at a snails pace to get off. I’ve had dozens off odd looks from row 42 passing me inch by inch as I sit patiently waiting in 27C until the exit is sufficiently clear that I can walk down the aisle (WHOOOO!!) at normal human pace.

• Paid Members

I'll admit I'm one to stand up pretty quickly on a plane, though never before the seatbelt lights have gone. But I always travel with a bag that fits under my seat, and no hold luggage, so it's not as clumsy a movement as standing up then faffing about with overheads. And usually only flying between Gatwick and Jersey, I know that at Jersey they open the front and rear doors, and at Gatwick only the front, so tend to gauge it based on that and whereabouts I'm sat too.

I hate the little shuttle bus at Gatwick, though. I haven't had a flight that needed it since before the pandemic, but this one being super delayed meant it landed at the other terminal and had to get it. Without that, it's a pretty simple case of getting off the plane and power-walking through to the train station that I can pretty much do on autopilot without once engaging my brain. Having to get on the bus makes rushing off the plane even more pointless, as you're left sitting around waiting for everyone else anyway.

But it's the exceptionalism of everyone else thinking that they're uniquely inconvenienced by all of this stuff - like the people I mentioned yelling that they were running late, as if we hadn't all just got off the same flight after waiting three hours at the previous airport, and as if the last trains were any later for the rest of us. I remember being in a queue at BHS once at Christmas, and the woman behind me kept doing a really annoying tut and exasperated sigh, and then eventually said to someone, "I wish they'd hurry up, I need to get my Christmas shopping done". Just you then, yeah? The rest of us are in this queue two days before Christmas for a laugh, really inconvenient timing for you.