Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members

I hate seaside/remote location excursions anyway for a variety of reasons, but the curse of a small willy means that when being forced to have a secluded al fresco wee you're only one unexpected breeze away from pissing on your own clothes/flip flops.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

People putting their own RE: into email subject lines when its not a reply.

You're fooling no one!!!

Re : this comment.

I do this, because I'm being old-fashioned and want the reader to know what the email is in reference to e.g. "Re : last invoice" "Re : payment issues" or "Re: inappropriate use of workplace PC".

I'll be stopping now, as I realize it makes me no better than a "please re:vert" (re:dacted).

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Re : this comment.

I do this, because I'm being old-fashioned and want the reader to know what the email is in reference to e.g. "Re : last invoice" "Re : payment issues" or "Re: inappropriate use of workplace PC".

I'll be stopping now, as I realize it makes me no better than a "please re:vert" (re:dacted).

My dad does this with his business emails too - he's 76, mind. He also starts emails with "Dear..." instead of "Hi...". He pretty much writes them like letters.

Tangentially to this, we're in a business that tends to be very informal in communications, so I've had the odd occasion when I've had to explain to the odd recipient of one of his mails that he's not being snotty or rude, he's just being very formal, as he's from a traditional business background in a very conservative industry (publishing).

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Tangentially to this, we're in a business that tends to be very informal in communications, so I've had the odd occasion when I've had to explain to the odd recipient of one of his mails that he's not being snotty or rude, he's just being very formal, as he's from a traditional business background in a very conservative industry (publishing).

I think I do this because from my banking background I ended up in the habit of writing everything work-related as though I was writing to nobility.

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

People putting their own RE: into email subject lines when its not a reply.

You're fooling no one!!!

Related, but I do overwrite or add to subject lines if the actual email content is nothing like the current header, usually because the sender is too lazy. Headers like "issues" or "Questoin" (sic) or "Fwd: BOB MCCUSTOMER mentioned you JEFF MCACCOUNTMANAGER in Kelio case comment #123456789101112" can fuck right off.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Related, but I do overwrite or add to subject lines if the actual email content is nothing like the current header, usually because the sender is too lazy. Headers like "issues" or "Questoin" (sic) or "Fwd: BOB MCCUSTOMER mentioned you JEFF MCACCOUNTMANAGER in Kelio case comment #123456789101112" can fuck right off.

If you want to get into bullshit generated by your CRM or internal email ;

re:re:re:re:re:re:re:re:re:re issue number 234508766

person Z said :

person Y said :

person X said :

..... the number of those where I've hit "Reply All" (remembering to delete the people no longer relevant to the conversation, I'm not a monster), deleted EVERYTHING from the reply field including every signature stupidly still included on an internal chain, and simply left ONE relevant detail in the subject line (an order/invoice/reference/ticket number) and just put "Sorted" in the reply, to close it off and shut everyone up. Hoping, a little, that the brevity upsets someone.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

Hmm. Not sure about this one. I've not checked, but I always leave the header on the assumption that it will impede the Outlook 'related messages' function if I do change it.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I think I'm pretty adept at "jailbreaking" electronics. Games consoles, tablets, handhelds, streaming devices, as long as there's no soldering involved then I can follow any How To...guide to the letter and get results.

However, I spent three hours last night trying to root my spare Android phone (a fucking WileyFox, of all things) and no matter how many guides I follow or forum posts that I read, I still can't get the fucker to work. I went to bed annoyed that I had wasted an evening tinkering about and got nothing to show for it. First time for everything, I guess.

Prepare for another entry in this thread tomorrow, because I'm going to post a "Please help me, I've tried everything" plea in the XDA forums tonight and I guarantee it will be met with hostility.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I'll be able to recommend everything and anything once I get the fucker to work, haha!

Is CyanogenMod still a thing? Got some old Androids that might be worth doing that with. Or do I need to be versed in MMI or stuff like that?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Is CyanogenMod still a thing? Got some old Androids that might be worth doing that with. Or do I need to be versed in MMI or stuff like that?

See, I don't know what any of that stuff is so I think I'm clearly out of my depth on this one. All the online How To's and guides are written as if the reader already knows a chunk, like they drop you right in the middle of the process and expect you to know what's what.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

See, I don't know what any of that stuff is so I think I'm clearly out of my depth on this one. All the online How To's and guides are written as if the reader already knows a chunk, like they drop you right in the middle of the process and expect you to know what's what.

Ah, fair enough. I actually don't know loads either - CyanogenMod is an open-source Android OS that so many mates recommended I get for any old Android phones that the warranty had run out on, back in the day, but the first step was always rooting, which I never really had much of a grasp on - the How-To stuff always seemed a bit intimidating; I was terrified I'd get a bit wrong and brick the phone.