Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

People saying "Twitter, do your thing" when asking for advice or a recommendation on Twitter. I don't have an issue with asking for something, but specifically that phrase. 

add to this "so and so understood the assignment" 

There is also a new found preference for albums to be called "projects" which annoys me no end.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, gmoney said:

People saying "Twitter, do your thing" when asking for advice or a recommendation on Twitter. I don't have an issue with asking for something, but specifically that phrase. 

Similarly on Reddit, people will ask questions in the comments that can be Google'd within seconds. I don't know why it gets on my tits so much.

• Paid Members

Another work one, people either not reading or not understanding a basic policy doesn't work in a situation.

"Person X has left the business, can you add person Y to the workflow so they can approve demands moving forward"

"Yes sure, we just need person X to give their approval of the change first" *tags person X*

• Paid Members

Two (quite specific) work related things getting my goat lately...

1. We're doing more with AI/robotics at the moment, but everyone in the organisation appears to think "bot" is an acronym rather than a contraction of "robot", so any time it's seen in writing it's always "Are we finding success with the BOT?" or "The BOT doesn't appear to be functioning correctly."

2. All my younger colleagues send emails beginning "Please may you". This is quite possibly grammatically correct, but it just winds me up irrationally. Smacks of superiority. What's wrong with "Please can you"?

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Statto said:

2. All my younger colleagues send emails beginning "Please may you". This is quite possibly grammatically correct, but it just winds me up irrationally. Smacks of superiority. What's wrong with "Please can you"?

Don't know for sure, but I suspect it could be in response to the replies of dickish adults growing up - when they say "Please can I [something]?" and they reply "I don't know, can you?" followed up with "It's 'Please may I...'".

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, gmoney said:

“Please RT for reach.”

Fuck off. I’ll retweet it if I want to.

Edited by Your Fight Site

18 minutes ago, gmoney said:

That reminds me of my other favourite with Twitter polls. 

"Should Boris Resign? Please retweet for balanced response" by Twitter user @BORIS4THEGALLOWS #FBPE #LOCKHIMUP #RESIGNNOW

I’m a fan of those highlighting a poll for people to hijack so it doesn’t go the way the pollster hoped, then disregarding polls that didn’t go their way because they were clearly hijacked by the other side. 

• Paid Members

People using Twitter to do a poll and getting it wrong is one of my little pet hates. “Like for X, retweet for Y” - always skews in favour of X because people won’t mind liking but might not want your poll showing up on all their followers timelines. Use the fucking poll function.

On 4/21/2022 at 12:33 PM, Statto said:

Ugh. I don’t care for it grammatically to be honest because asking for you to do something with “may” is wonky whether it’s “may” as in “might” or as in being permitted to …. it’s just off. They’re  going for “would you mind” but getting it wrong, trying to sound more formal, but… yeah, awful. One for the “revert” pile.

My mate/manager has a terrible habit at work of jumping on a phrase and hammering it into every conversation he has with anyone. For months every decision or direction discussed involved him pondering aloud what was “best for the business” which I didnt mind, but currently every time anyone needs to be made aware of something - customer, colleague, oneself - it’s a “call to action.” I want to run him over with the Lex Express.

On 4/20/2022 at 6:42 PM, gmoney said:

On 4/20/2022 at 7:56 PM, SuperBacon said:

add to this "so and so understood the assignment" 

There is also a new found preference for albums to be called "projects" which annoys me no end.

I know “duet” would sound a bit twee and 60s, but the dumbing down of collaboration to “collab” is one of mine.

Although be careful, we might wake up the “but language evolves” pricks.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

People using Twitter to do a poll and getting it wrong is one of my little pet hates. “Like for X, retweet for Y” - always skews in favour of X because people won’t mind liking but might not want your poll showing up on all their followers timelines. Use the fucking poll function.

I always assume these are about gaming the algorithm to get your account in more people's feeds, so it's by design rather than doing polls wrong. 

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Statto said:

Theres a fairly senior lawyer at my place who says this. It chips away at her integrity every time she does it. Raaaaaaaaaage!