Jump to content

Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)


Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
Posted
23 minutes ago, gmoney said:

You get a lot of that on Spotify. I only notice it when the original isn't on there for whatever reason, for example Nasty Girl by Vanity. I guess it fills a void, but they're usally just off enough as to not be enjoyable. 

I've been using Spotify recently as I got a few months few, and noticed that you'll also get a cover version for a song that doesn't have a legit 'clean' version, and that clean cover will get mad plays. It's pretty funny. 

That said it's not a new phenomenon. My mate's dad has told me that he remembers back in the 60s a lot of big hit singles would get covers released concurrently, with the labels pressing them cheaply and then undercutting the price of the original in stores, or released on cover compilation LPs. It's fun when you find these gems in record bins from time to time.

Posted (edited)

In a similar territory, multiple studio recordings of the same song by the same artist but with slightly different production or instrumentation. Ultimately one ends up being your preferred version but you have to faff about on Youtube or Spotify to find that specific recording. I remember having a nightmare trying to find the "proper" version of "I Put A Spell On You" by Screaming Jay Hawkins. I'm sure I found three or four different versions of it by him.

I think it was a common practice in the 50s and 60s, it gets recorded once and then the single does well so it got recorded again, but I've had it happen a couple of times with more modern songs.

Edited by cobra_gordo
  • Moderators
Posted

Speaking of which I've never been able to find the version of Deodato's cover of "Do it Again" with the flute playing the lead on record. Only the version with the guitar playing the lead. The flute version is the one that was on GTA Espantoso CD (and the CD re-release of the Deodato album as it happens) and therefore the one I heard first and my favourite version.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

That said it's not a new phenomenon. My mate's dad has told me that he remembers back in the 60s a lot of big hit singles would get covers released concurrently, with the labels pressing them cheaply and then undercutting the price of the original in stores, or released on cover compilation LPs. It's fun when you find these gems in record bins from time to time.

Yeah, you'd get stuff like Hallmark's "Top Of The Pops" LPs, that were just anonymous session musicians covering things that had been in the charts recently. This sort of thing:

https://uk.rarevinyl.com/collections/top-of-the-pops

 

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Was watching a daytime game show on ITV called Riddiculous and one of the contestants was wearing a T shirt and knee length shorts. Thankfully he didn’t win. Billy G must be turning in his grave. 

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
On 10/12/2022 at 2:35 PM, SuperBacon said:

Just had the fittest, and I mean the FITTEST Amazon delivery driver. She said to me "Enjoy what you bought" and I replied "You too!!!" ?

Well if you’ll use that shower of cunts you deserve every humiliation possible.

Posted
On 10/25/2022 at 8:10 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Was watching a daytime game show on ITV called Riddiculous and one of the contestants was wearing a T shirt and knee length shorts. Thankfully he didn’t win. Billy G must be turning in his grave. 

What's wrong in wearin knee length shorts, I use to practice in half pants. Its about choices

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 hours ago, miqasam said:

What's wrong in wearin knee length shorts, I use to practice in half pants. Its about choices

Imagine signing up for a wrestling forum and this is your first post.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Mike who owns a Google Pixel in that ad with his mates being so “random” for putting chips in his photo, manages somehow to instantly remind me of every tosser I’ve met in the last twenty years.

  • Members
Posted

On a training course on Teams today and one of the participants video is really dark, so she looks like she is in a silhouette and you just get flashes of her eyes/glasses

Someone piped up "Oh Sandy you look like one of those creatures in Star Wars...you know the ones, they live in the desert and wear robes" and I replied "You mean the Jawas?" but because 3 people spoke over me and said something about sand people, no one heard me.

Then Andrew said "They were called Jawas I think" and got all the praise and laughs for remembering (more likely he was the only one that fucking heard me!) and I sat there absolutely fuming. 

Fuck off Andrew. Completely ruined my day.

Posted
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I replied "You mean the Jawas?"

On the bright side, you're lucky she didn't mishear it as Jabba.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...