Negative associations

Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

Was watching the Snowpiercer series with my wife recently and we both really hated one character irrationally and couldn't place why, until we eventually realise that he looked like a builder we had working on our house a while back who was a massive pain in the arse and caused us a lot of stress. Turns out we aren't quite over it yet...

Also we have had a recent restructure at work at my new manager looks a lot like Fred Armisen. I really dislike her, so I hope I don't start having a negative association with him because he is great, and he keeps turning up everywhere so even if I didn't particularly like him this would still hamper my enjoyment of other good things.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Marmite.

My Mum, when shit faced, would use it to thicken up pasta sauces and it was always truly revolting. 

Smelling it takes me back to that very dark period of my life. That and vodka. 

I give you this, Gammon:

Marmite and Lynx launch new body wash and spray in unlikely collaboration -  Mirror Online

I saw this in Boots on me lunch break. There's actually a market for people who want to smell like Week 3 in January and Bovril.

Back on topic, I;m afraid of - and discomforted by - Neil Youngs' voice because it sounds the spits of like the way Liamer Steamer in my estate used to talk. He ran around his garden trying to stick his willy up his dogs bum in front of us all.

• Paid Members

Baked Beans. The thought of them on/in meals put me off them for years, even though I quite like the taste. But it's only recently I've realised why. When I was about 6, my dad  fucked off, leaving me and my mother to fend for ourselves(no maintenance or anything). We never had a lot of money, so my mam used t go to the KwickSave and buy shit loads of their 5p tins of beans and use them to pad out most meals she made. Caseroles, curry, stew, you name it and it had 2 tins of crap Kwicksave beans in it to make it go further. Ever since I dread the thought of having to even buy a tin of the stuff...  

Edited by Cod Eye

• Paid Members

Tinned spaghetti in tomato sauce, because that was the last thing I ate, and the thing that came fountaining out, when I had the "I'm going to diiiiie!" food poisoning when I was 19. 

I don't know if that was what caused it, but that's what I blamed, and it just brings back memories of vomiting it up the walls on the way to the toilets at work.

Similarly, I can't stand the smell of apples when I'm in a car (especially on a hot day), as it reminds me of when we were going on holiday somewhere as a kid, and my little sister threw up this vinegary apple sauce smelling sick over me and my big sister (and my Zoids comic, which never did dry out without any aftereffects).

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

Probably a bit serious for the thread but the smell of smoke. We had a house fire a couple of years ago that gutted our kitchen and smoke damaged our hallway, bathroom, dining room, stairs and two bedrooms. I was in the house at the time and tried to put it out but couldn't fight it (the fridge malfunctioned and it took two fire engine crews to put it out). We ended up living in a caravan for 6 months and I eventually had time off work with PTSD.

Any time I smell smoke now my blood runs cold. Burning toast, neighbours having barbequeues, bonfires. It's fucking horrendous.

• Paid Members

Spurs and Liverpool purely because of people that I know who are fans of those specific clubs - Spurs an old classmate who was just an absolute fucking arsehole who, if you didn't talk to him in a day or two, would post diatribes on Facebook about how he had been abandoned by his friends and knowing where the light was in his life etc., and Liverpool was my mum's ex-husband, who was a weirdo who would deck himself out in Liverpool merch and basically had Liverpool as his entire personality aspect. 

Mashed potatoes - I hated them anyway, but then my mum when I was younger tried to make me eat them by mixing spaghetti hoops with them. Yes, spaghetti hoops and mash. I remember being sat in a living room at an old house, crying as I slowly shovel cold mash and spaghetti hoops into my mouth. HORRIBLE.

25 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Mashed potatoes - I hated them anyway, but then my mum when I was younger tried to make me eat them by mixing spaghetti hoops with them. Yes, spaghetti hoops and mash. I remember being sat in a living room at an old house, crying as I slowly shovel cold mash and spaghetti hoops into my mouth. HORRIBLE.

That sounds awful Nexus, and I like mash potato. What a horrible memory.

• Moderators

Onions in burgers.

Im the mid 90s my dad was on the dole, and when he got bored one day of watching Donahue, The Flying Doctors, Pebble Mill and Knots Landing (can't blame him [Although when England was on half term and Wales wasn't they shown an awesome kids miniseries called Ralph S. Mouse for me, which replaced Donahue which he taped for me to watch when I got home from school. Top man.]) he went to the shop to buy mince and decided to treat his four hungry children to some homemade burgers. The sentiment was lovely, fair dues to him it would have cost a lot when times were really hard, so I'll never take that away from him. 

More onion than burger though. Too much onion. And I didn't like onion yet. I was sick as a dog. Which to be fair makes me an ungrateful bugger. 

Never eaten a burger with onions since. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator

Taboo, and by association peaches.

69CEFB47-28AF-4938-9C7D-47A02FF5768A.jpeg.7626255bd414b225aaa967bf2c55b597.jpeg

I don’t know if they still make it but I had an experience with it in 1995/6 which is still talked about by mates. It turns my stomach when it’s brought up or I see/smell anything resembling a peach.

One of my mates was going out with a girl whose parents were away for a weekend, so she threw the obligatory ‘small gathering which everybody knows will turn into a circus’ party. Everyone going went round at about 7/8pm ish but I was working as a glass collector in the boozer just down the road from her house. They were all on the usual ciders and alco-pops, but as I knew I’d be playing catch-up, I asked them to get me a bottle of something I could drink quickly. Don’t know what I was thinking, but when I arrived with everyone drunk/asleep/fingering a stranger, I was presented with a bottle of Taboo which was either 25% or a third extra free. Being desperate to be coooool, I swigged nearly all of it in about ten minutes. I weighed about 7 stone and couldn’t handle three Wine Gums.

The next thing I know, I’m bolting up the stairs, banging into the everything within a six metre reach, and I just about made it to the loo to evacuate a cocktail of peaches, crisps and whatever my mum had made me for tea a few hours earlier. All I remember was the putrid stench of peaches waterfalling from my mouth and nose, with the smell making my eyes water and vomit even more. It went on until I was actually crying because of the smell/pain of chucking everything up and I ended up falling asleep over the bowl with the remnants no doubt dribbling from the corner of my mouth.

I was then woken up - it could have been minutes or it could have been hours - by a mate who needed a shit. He hooked me under the armpits, dragged me to the bath and leant me over it. He then had the dump from hell. I was barely conscious but at the time/the next day, I remember the sound coming out of him being like the San Andreas Fault cracking.

What then followed after he flushed was either a sadistic effort by a drunken 16-year old or the most misjudged act of consideration you could think of. He armpitted me again, dragged me back over to the loo and put me over it, assumedly in case I was going to be sick again. I probably wasn’t, but his mega dump hasn’t flushed so I was greeted with Colin the Caterpillar’s bigger brother a few inches from an already nauseous set of senses. 

So not only does Taboo/peach make me feel violently ill because of the vomiting, it makes me think of an actual turd.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

Reggae. I got a lift to school for the first 3 years of secondary, and my mate's mum who drove the car would only listen to reggae, really loudly, through a terrible car stereo that distorted everything horrendously when it was cranked up. Pretty sure it laid the foundations for my now ever-present tinnitus.