Negative associations

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Only tangentially related, but I saw a middle-aged bloke sat on a bench outside M&S yesterday, in a three piece cream suit, just going to town on a packet of ham slices. Taking each one out in turn and shoving the whole thing in his mouth at once, one after the other. Mesmerising. 

Similarly I was waiting for a bus from work once and a bloke came up eating mussels out of the packet. Not a jar, but a plastic box of them. Talking to me about working off-shore, spitting bits of seafood all over the place. Then he just stuffs the packet in the bush next to him. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

They are the sort who say hip hop promotes gang culture whilst posting pictures of the Krays saying this is what a gangster looks like. 

Or the classic “When did this [picture of middle age wife beating Frank Sinatra looking dapper] become this [picture of young chavvy lads in trackies]. 

Personally I’ll never eat coffee and walnut cake again after I swear my arsehole could taste it as it trickled out the last time I gave myself food poisoning.

Stickers, fucking hate the things. I genuinely can't remember what made me hate them but it was something when I was very very small. Might have been having left over bits of sticker on my clothes or something worse. Still to this day if I see one half peeled on an object or a wall with all the grime they pick up showing I can't even comfortably go near it. Even the ones on fruit have to be dealt with carefully. The only place those fuckers should be is inside an album carefully placed.

It took me years to enjoy baked beans and I think that stems from my dad always leaving half a tin in the fridge with an anaemic looking one protruding from the top. I enjoy them now though.

These days I can't eat any of that Oreo chocolate. Not that I want to because it's gross. But a few years ago I had a terrible stomach bug and i ate this just before being violently ill. It wasnt the choccy, but just seeing one of those bars about gives me flashbacks of puking my guts up.

• Paid Members

When I was very small my family went to stay by the beach for a few days. My dad had hired a metal detector cos he wanted to search for treasure or whatever, it was quite exciting but at one point he cut himself on something and bled all over the metal detector and it terrified me. I have never been able to see, hear or think about metal detectors my entire life without instantly imagining the scary bloody metal detector and how much it freaked me out.

• Paid Members
On 8/21/2020 at 10:08 AM, BomberPat said:

Peaky Blinders. I've never watched it. But I associate it with every 19 year old twat with a fade acting like a hard man in pubs, and every midlife crisis sad act who started wearing flat caps and waistcoats with watch chains in the last three years. Doesn't help that someone at work is mad on it, and he's a prick. His desk used to be behind mine, and I was really surprised when he had a Nick Cave song as his ringtone until I learned it was the theme tune. 

I refused to watch Quadrophenia for years for similar reasons. When I was 18, loads of boys round here got heavily into it and it turned them into total wankers. Going about shouting "We are the Mods!" and demanding to know if I was a "Mod Or a Rocker!!". In 1998.

I was quite surprised when I actually watched the film. No idea how so many people could claim to love a film and miss the fucking point so spectacularly.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

I refused to watch Quadrophenia for years for similar reasons. When I was 18, loads of boys round here got heavily into it and it turned them into total wankers. Going about shouting "We are the Mods!" and demanding to know if I was a "Mod Or a Rocker!!". In 1998.

I was quite surprised when I actually watched the film. No idea how so many people could claim to love a film and miss the fucking point so spectacularly.

Yeah but are you Mod or Rocker? 

I was never a fan of Red Dwarf but I hate it because I lived in a shared house with loads of people and one of them did a dungeons and dragons night. The fuckers who went to it were smelly dorks who wore “Smoke me a kipper” T-shirt’s that had been washed as often as they had. Smelly bastards.