Negative associations

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Well. If they're going to refer themselves as that then there just inviting ridicule....

I think it's like the French being "frogs" to the English, or the English being "prawns" (I love that one!) to the Spanish, rather than a name they've given to themselves. It's from their saying "yow am" instead of "you are".

I remember stopping in my tracks after a visitor from the Black Country had popped by a local pub and was in conversation with the barman. You know when you can get just about every word in a sentence and have no trouble with the meaning, but there's just one bit where you cannot, no matter how hard you try, make out? It took a couple of minutes of eavesdropping to register that what should've clearly been "she is" was "'er am".

Butter cream icing. I ate a cake when I was about 8 years old, puked it all over myself. I can't stand the texture or taste of icing ever since (esp. chocolate). 

Sambuca, Tequila and Bacardi are also off my drinking list following some banging hangovers over the years. The smell of any of those makes me gag. You know you will never touch a drop again when you drink so much of something you get those hot sweats, spinning room and floppy limbs.