Negative associations

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I’m assuming accents needs it’s own thread?

I’ll share one of mine. Laaandaan accents have always gone through me like a dentists drill (like a lot of broad accents in fairness) and certain words or phrases sound awful and put me in mind of absolute mouth-breathing simpletons - “mug” and “muppet” sound terrible in a way I might not mind coming out of a Manc or Geordie but the worst being “melt” as an insult. Sounds ludicrous compared to just calling someone a twat, seems very popular among Arsenal fans. But the accent itself is usually enough to do the damage.

I was on a tram between Villa Park and New Street once with my best mate (a Villa fan) after Villa-Spurs. A Spurs fan got on the phone and nearly word for word his conversation has stayed with me for 15 years.

”Alright Lurch! You prat! Ahhhh mate. You fort (sic) Blackburn was bad, this place is ‘orrible. Is (insert name) there? You prat! Tell him to get a round in! Make it a proper round, not like the ones he gets at the ‘ome games! You prat!”

At New Street when he disembarked, approx five very sour-faced Villa fans followed him. I often wonder if they gave him a shoeing. For being such a prat.

Edited by air_raid

Alcohol. Not just people being pissed, but more the culture around it. One of the lads in my office goes on and on about it all the time. And not in a way where he's sampling different drinks and new things. Just droning on and on about getting shitfaced off Southern Comfort and Fosters. 

There were two bellends in the shop yesterday buying loads and one was on the phone talking about smashing down bottles of Grey Goose taking an eternity to buy their shit and bugger off out the way. 

I enjoy a drink as much as the next man but I think it's people that treat it as a personality trait that really get on my tits. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The audacity to have a moan about accents in BIRMINGHAM.

Melt.

Oh, broad Black Country accents are horrific. I hate going back. There’s a really broad bloke from Sandwell in my office and many people tell me “I can’t believe you’re from the same area” and Mrs raid tells me “I’m so glad you don’t sound like him.”

13 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

Alcohol. Not just people being pissed, but more the culture around it. One of the lads in my office goes on and on about it all the time. And not in a way where he's sampling different drinks and new things. Just droning on and on about getting shitfaced off Southern Comfort and Fosters. 

There were two bellends in the shop yesterday buying loads and one was on the phone talking about smashing down bottles of Grey Goose taking an eternity to buy their shit and bugger off out the way. 

I enjoy a drink as much as the next man but I think it's people that treat it as a personality trait that really get on my tits. 

Add craft beers too. One of my mates got married a few years back and his new bro-in-law decided to pay for the booze as his gift. They had an afternoon reception so he'd bought a ton of craft beers and spent the whole time banging on about what a wonderful selection he'd got, the microbreweries he visited, why 'this' beer complimented the colour of someone's tie and pretty much being a pretentious arse. At one point, someone said how nice the bride looked, to which he rolled his eyes and said 'Yes, but what about the beer?' 

He saw me drinking Diet Coke, told me through gritted teeth how much he respected designated drivers. I told him I wasn't driving and that I'm teetotal, he spent the next twenty minutes telling me I was only teetotal because I'd never tried this beer, tried to force a bottle into my mouth and only stopped when his sister (the bride) told him to stop being such a wanker. 

I cannot hear the words 'craft beer' or 'microbrewery' without feeling angry. 

• Paid Members

I love beers of many types but “microbrewery” and “craft beer” are just a rung down the ladder from Kale, seitan, Almond milk and tofu for making me think about pale little scrotes in khaki shorts insisting they’re doing something better than the way I do it and/or questioning my moral compass for my preference of food or beverage.

My mates being craft beer nonces is one of the main reason I don’t really drink anymore. I like the stuff but it’s all the accompanying stuff that goes with it puts me off. The automatic assumption that if it’s available to buy in a supermarket, then it must be shit. Not wanting to go to certain pubs because the beer selection isn’t craft enough. 

I’d much rather go to a nice pub with great atmosphere, but serves average bog standard beer than a freezing cold, half empty warehouse on the outskirts of town with tables made out of scaffolding poles and boards that serves 8% IPAs which all taste the same. 

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, air_raid said:

I’m assuming accents needs it’s own thread?

I’ll share one of mine. Laaandaan accents have always gone through me like a dentists drill (like a lot of broad accents in fairness) and certain words or phrases sound awful and put me in mind of absolute mouth-breathing simpletons - “mug” and “muppet” sound terrible in a way I might not mind coming out of a Manc or Geordie but the worst being “melt” as an insult. Sounds ludicrous compared to just calling someone a twat, seems very popular among Arsenal fans. But the accent itself is usually enough to do the damage.

I was on a tram between Villa Park and New Street once with my best mate (a Villa fan) after Villa-Spurs. A Spurs fan got on the phone and nearly word for word his conversation has stayed with me for 15 years.

”Alright Lurch! You prat! Ahhhh mate. You fort (sic) Blackburn was bad, this place is ‘orrible. Is (insert name) there? You prat! Tell him to get a round in! Make it a proper round, not like the ones he gets at the ‘ome games! You prat!”

At New Street when he disembarked, approx five very sour-faced Villa fans followed him. I often wonder if they gave him a shoeing. For being such a prat.

Way you describe it, sounds like a classic London/Cockney accent - with the changes in economics and culture of the years, that's becoming less a London accent and more an Essex one. I still hear that accent around my local area, but it's increasingly uncommon. The modern London accent is more a fusion of Cockney and Caribbean, and if it isn't in the majority yet, it will be soon.

One of the last nails in the coffin of my Facebook account a few years ago were all the twats who had to tell you via the medium of a filtered picture that it was “Cava o’clock!” I’ll never see a bottle of the stuff without thinking of those bellends.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

One of the last nails in the coffin of my Facebook account a few years ago were all the twats who had to tell you via the medium of a filtered picture that it was “Cava o’clock!” I’ll never see a bottle of the stuff without thinking of those bellends.

On a similar note, Prosecco now forever makes me shudder at the thought of orange-skinned duck-faced instatwats.

11 hours ago, air_raid said:

Oh, broad Black Country accents are horrific. I hate going back. There’s a really broad bloke from Sandwell in my office and many people tell me “I can’t believe you’re from the same area” and Mrs raid tells me “I’m so glad you don’t sound like him.”

I moved to Sandwell from Yorkshire about 4 years ago. The accent is awful but gets worse the closer you get to Wolverhampton to my ear. When I first moved here, a guy I worked with had the thickest Black Country accent I've ever heard, I genuinely thought he was speaking Gaelic (or something similar) the first time I heard him conversating with another Black Country-er. 

I still can't get used to all the slang and all the yam-yam business...... I can't wait to move back up North one day.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, deathrey said:

I still can't get used to all the slang and all the yam-yam business...... I can't wait to move back up North one day.

The best thing about being here is being away from the “I ay a Brummie” and “Yow’m a yam yam” gibberish. And nobody says “day” instead of “didn’t.” Christ.